Page 67 of 220 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3288
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Poor characterization is the least of the problems with Identity Crisis Taking a beloved female character and raping her in order to create some kind of half-assed mystery is a level of misogyny I can do without. I have trouble reading a lot of Alan Moore's work due to his casual use of rape as well; it's just not something I'm looking for in comics, especially when it seems to have no reason for being there other than "hey, let's rape a woman here because why not?" In Identity Crisis, for me, it came across as "we need to make a gritty, dark, ADULT story. How can we do that and take it to the next level? Of course - RAPE!"

I enjoyed the Zatanna mindwipe stuff and its fallout though, especially as it related to building up to Infinite Crisis. But yeah, I felt the story getting there could've been better!
    I'm someone who also recently finished reading Identity Crisis and I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on the rape issue. It was extremely off putting and marred my reading experience. The art was quite impressive at times but didn't save the story for me. I also agree with you on Alan Moore. He's a very good and intelligent writer but is very flippant in the way he uses sex and he seems to get away with it because of his reputation.

Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age All-Winners Vol. 1 tpb

Incredible Member

I just started reading The Incal. I have the coffee table sized version and read the first volume (out of 6) yesterday. I have to say that even though I have no clue what's going on so far I am intrigued. These coffee table books are significantly bigger than DC Absolutes and seeing Moebius' art in that format is amazing. Looking forward to reading the second volume tonight.

I finished the second Detective Comics Rebirth arc, The Victims Syndicate, and I really enjoyed it. The themes have been done before (Busiek's Superman arc Camelot Falls comes to mind) but Tynion really stays true to the arguments presented and doesn't end it with a cop-out good guy vs bad guy finale. I liked the focus on Spoiler and Tim Drake instead of Batwoman (who took up most of the first arc) and I appreciated how these issues addressed some of the concerns I had about the first arc, such as the idea that Tim Drake of all people needed boot camp. This is my first time reading Tynion's work and I think he does a good job of walking the line of being hip and modern without being patronizing or sarcastic. There is real emotion here that you don't always find in the newer crop of writers.

Starting the Final Crisis omnibus - since this beast is presented in chronological order with all the tie-ins, skipping around when appropriate, maybe it'll make sense this time.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I’m almost done with the Marvel Epic of Thor: When Titans Clash.

Two things I (maybe) learned: Thor spoke pretty much like a normal person at first, but by the book’s end he’s doing the “doth” and “verily” thing. And I’m not sure how the Absorbing Man’s power actually works.

Captain America: Prisoner of War tpb
    (2011 / collects Captain America #616-619.)

About 6 issues into the Deluxe Injection by Ellis, one word, fuckin excellent

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Once you finish Vol. 6, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Would you say the Parker run is a worthy follow-up/solid continuation of the first four volumes? Huge fan of Johns’ run but have never committed to reading the rest of the New 52 series.
    I finished Maelstrom yesterday. I'd say volumes 5 and 6 are definitely good follow ups. There were quite a few threads and shorter arcs in volume 5, which were good but there was one point where I was rooting for who Arthur was up against (I won't spoil who!) rather than Arthur himself because of how he was written. I felt volume 6 was better overall but they're both definitely worth reading.

I've just started reading Aquaman Volume 7: Exiled HC, written by Bunn. I'm only a few pages in and I'm annoyed already lol.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    One word?

(That was two words, dude.)

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    One word?

(That was two words, dude.)
    It was a play on reservoir dogs “learn to fuckin type” anyway, read it if you haven’t already

Incredible Member

Just finished Locke & Key and worth every bit of the hype. Anyone who hasn't picked this up yet do yourself a favor and do.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    toldja

Incredible Member

Finishing Harley Quinn and the Gotham City Sirens Omnibus. Pretty good. Didn’t know what to expect but have enjoyed it a lot.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Almost done with the Daredevil Epic: A Touch of Typhoid.

I did not read these when released, but I certainly saw JR junior’s work done before this, and this Daredevil stuff looked horrible in comparison. Story is good, thankfully.
    Last edited by Graphic Autist; 12-18-2018 at 08:25 AM.