Page 142 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2200

Currently reading Spider-Man: The Next Chapter. It's not bad, it's not good... it's kind of just there.

Spectacular Member

Just started up The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. Gonna take a while to get through this 1400 page behemoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Just started up The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. Gonna take a while to get through this 1400 page behemoth.
    My favorite Superman run! I have the trades myself. The impact of this story, in a time where it wasn't just "business as usual" to kill off major characters... wow. A true classic.

And some great artwork from Tom Grummet, a severely underrated artist and one of my absolute favorites, and Dan Jurgens at the top of his game. A shame with Jon Bogdanove though, who in turn is one of the worst artists I have ever had the pleasure of seeing on a comic book.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    My favorite Superman run! I have the trades myself. The impact of this story, in a time where it wasn't just "business as usual" to kill off major characters... wow. A true classic.

And some great artwork from Tom Grummet, a severely underrated artist and one of my absolute favorites, and Dan Jurgens at the top of his game. A shame with Jon Bogdanove though, who in turn is one of the worst artists I have ever had the pleasure of seeing on a comic book.
    I agree. Tom Grummett was great. It was quite a chore to get through the Bogdanove issues when I was reading the Omnibus.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Starting the original Kirby Eternals tonight (collects the first 19 or 20 issues).
    I truly appreciate Kirby's artwork and some of his story ideas. The dialogue and writing, though..... that was rough to get through, in my opinion. Felt the same way about his New Gods early work, too.

Going to try Alan Moore's Miracle Man, Vol. I next.

I just finished reading House of X/Powers of X. Mind blown. Now the last X-Men story I read before this (chronologically) was X-Men vs. Inhumans, and I did feel that I had missed out on quite a lot in the meantime (like some pretty prominent characters suddenly coming back from death) - but it didn't really hurt the story for me much. It was an impressive tale on a really large scale, possibly the largest scale ever for the X-Men, and it's obvious that Hickmann is the mastermind behind this epic. It's a grand pseudo-scientific tale with no stops pulled. I don't love everything introduced here (especially not the "ressurrection" concept), but I really want to see where it goes from here...

Amazing Member

About to start on Crisis On Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition. Been a looooong time since I've read this one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    About to start on Crisis On Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition. Been a looooong time since I've read this one.
    Sweet. The first time I read this it was just the standard trade. The next time through Iím gonna read the deluxe as well along with the three companion deluxes for the full experience.

I just finished reading House of X/Powers of X. Mind blown. Now the last X-Men story I read before this (chronologically) was X-Men vs. Inhumans, and I did feel that I had missed out on quite a lot in the meantime (like some pretty prominent characters suddenly coming back from death) - but it didn't really hurt the story for me much. It was an impressive tale on a really large scale, possibly the largest scale ever for the X-Men, and it's obvious that Hickmann is the mastermind behind this epic. It's a grand pseudo-scientific tale with no stops pulled. I don't love everything introduced here (especially not the "ressurrection" concept), but I really want to see where it goes from here...
    Did you read the TPB that contains Powers of X 1-6 and House of X 1-6, or anything else as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Did you read the TPB that contains Powers of X 1-6 and House of X 1-6, or anything else as well?
    The OHC containing those issues you mention. Are there tie-ins or a prologue I missed?

The OHC containing those issues you mention. Are there tie-ins or a prologue I missed?
    I don't know. I was trying to find out myself haha. But I have just seen this and it seems you have everything covered:
    https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2019...reading-order/

I got the Mister Miracle deluxe, so I'm giving the story another go.
    Funnily enough, I find the DM hardcover that came out a while ago a bit superior, if not for the standard-size art. The colors pop up way better in the glossy paper than in the matte quality the deluxe has.

I've paused my readings of Morrison's Batman, Dini's Detective, and John's GL in the appropriate spots to start my Final Crisis omnibus.

Would've liked to read more titles in the lead-up to this but money/availability are limiting factors. Regardless, I've loved this era and I'm pumped for another "crisis" that's new to me.

uhh, it's been a while but I bought a few books recently so here are short recommendations on some of them:

Fangs by Sarah Andersen: it's free online since originally it was a webcomic, super cute Halloween read, a love story between a vampire girl and a werewolf guy. Just one page vignettes about their dates and relationships. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. For fans of Sarah's Scribbles it's highly recommended (but really for anyone who likes spooky and cute webcomics).

The times I knew I was gay: a graphic memoir about a woman's life, specifically the parts where she was trying to deal with her sexuality. One page, one panel type, simple drawings. Highly enjoyed it but not sure if I'd recommend owning it physically (the paperback feels cheap and it's a very quick read, but it's a good time).

Asterios Polyp: finally mustered up the energy to read Mazzucchelli's very highly regarded GN and yes, it is indeed very good. I was hesitant at first, older chainsmoking a-hole main character, just not the stuff I'm currently into, but it is actually a very good critique on the type of smug knowitalls he represents.
    And Mazzucchelli is a master of comicbook storytelling.

Sailor Moon eternal vol5: Every time I have a problem with the storytelling I just get more glitter thrown into my eyes, for better or worse. The cast widens, one of my favourites returns and the volume ends on a really good cliffhanger.
    The sad part is that I actually enjoy the new guardians more than the originals, mainly because they actually get characterization right out of the gate and they aren't just used for decoration. Also Haruka (Sailor Uranus) being trans (or a magical version of trans?) is very interesting for a super high profile 90s comic (in a good way. Haruka is currently probably my favourite alongside with Pluto).

Pumpkinheads: super charming Halloween romcom from Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. This should be a Netflix movie! Highly recommended to anyone who wants a fun teen romance that takes place in a pumpkin patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    uhh, it's been a while but I bought a few books recently so here are short recommendations on some of them:

Fangs by Sarah Andersen: it's free online since originally it was a webcomic, super cute Halloween read, a love story between a vampire girl and a werewolf guy. Just one page vignettes about their dates and relationships. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. For fans of Sarah's Scribbles it's highly recommended (but really for anyone who likes spooky and cute webcomics).

The times I knew I was gay: a graphic memoir about a woman's life, specifically the parts where she was trying to deal with her sexuality. One page, one panel type, simple drawings. Highly enjoyed it but not sure if I'd recommend owning it physically (the paperback feels cheap and it's a very quick read, but it's a good time).

Asterios Polyp: finally mustered up the energy to read Mazzucchelli's very highly regarded GN and yes, it is indeed very good. I was hesitant at first, older chainsmoking a-hole main character, just not the stuff I'm currently into, but it is actually a very good critique on the type of smug knowitalls he represents.
    And Mazzucchelli is a master of comicbook storytelling.

Sailor Moon eternal vol5: Every time I have a problem with the storytelling I just get more glitter thrown into my eyes, for better or worse. The cast widens, one of my favourites returns and the volume ends on a really good cliffhanger.
    The sad part is that I actually enjoy the new guardians more than the originals, mainly because they actually get characterization right out of the gate and they aren't just used for decoration. Also Haruka (Sailor Uranus) being trans (or a magical version of trans?) is very interesting for a super high profile 90s comic (in a good way. Haruka is currently probably my favourite alongside with Pluto).

Pumpkinheads: super charming Halloween romcom from Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. This should be a Netflix movie! Highly recommended to anyone who wants a fun teen romance that takes place in a pumpkin patch.
    Damn, took me a looks to realise it was you. Avatar threw me way off

I'm in a no-buy situation for a while, but I might give Fangs a read. I also mean to read some holiday related comics, but it never happens!
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"