Page 103 of 220 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3296

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind and I may just pick it up at some point. Btw, is it oversized?
    Yes it is.

Silver Surfer omnibus by Slott. I never was too fond of the cosmic side of Marvel and enjoyed the more 'street level' characters such as Daredevil, Spidey, Ms. Marvel more. However, based on reviews I decided to buy the Silver Surfer by Slott omnibus to see if it's as good as they say. After finishing it yesterday I can only say that this is one of the best comic runs that I've read in my entire life. I am someone who rarely gets emotional. I have never cried during a movie or a book before. Never in my life. But at the ending to Slott's run I did. I cried reading the last two issues. For me that is saying a lot, as I've said, this never happened before. I was so invested in this story that I am still sad and venting my feelings on a forum just to cope with it.

Slott's writing is absolutely masterful. The way everything ties together in both runs is amazing. I have never really cared for Norrin but he made the character likeable and relatable whilst being insanely powerful. And then we have the most important addition to Slott's Surfer run, Dawn Greenwood. I absolutely love the way she is introduced and written. She felt especially relatable to me as I've never really delved in cosmic stories before. Through Dawn, Slott really breaks it down for someone who is not so familiar with cosmic Marvel. A amazing addition to the Marvel universe and I hope to see her again some time.

Art-wise it's nothing short of stunning. I have found myself staring at pages many times while reading through the run. The Allreds really nailed it and were perfectly in sync with Slott's writing. From the use of colours to the shape of the galaxies and universes themselves, the art is some of the best I've seen in recent years.

This was a comic experience that I haven't had in years and years. Most of you in here have probably read it. But for those who haven't yet. Please do so, you'll thank me later
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Silver Surfer omnibus by Slott. I never was too fond of the cosmic side of Marvel and enjoyed the more 'street level' characters such as Daredevil, Spidey, Ms. Marvel more. However, based on reviews I decided to buy the Silver Surfer by Slott omnibus to see if it's as good as they say. After finishing it yesterday I can only say that this is one of the best comic runs that I've read in my entire life. I am someone who rarely gets emotional. I have never cried during a movie or a book before. Never in my life. But at the ending to Slott's run I did. I cried reading the last two issues. For me that is saying a lot, as I've said, this never happened before. I was so invested in this story that I am still sad and venting my feelings on a forum just to cope with it.

Slott's writing is absolutely masterful. The way everything ties together in both runs is amazing. I have never really cared for Norrin but he made the character likeable and relatable whilst being insanely powerful. And then we have the most important addition to Slott's Surfer run, Dawn Greenwood. I absolutely love the way she is introduced and written. She felt especially relatable to me as I've never really delved in cosmic stories before. Through Dawn, Slott really breaks it down for someone who is not so familiar with cosmic Marvel. A amazing addition to the Marvel universe and I hope to see her again some time.

Art-wise it's nothing short of stunning. I have found myself staring at pages many times while reading through the run. The Allreds really nailed it and were perfectly in sync with Slott's writing. From the use of colours to the shape of the galaxies and universes themselves, the art is some of the best I've seen in recent years.

This was a comic experience that I haven't had in years and years. Most of you in here have probably read it. But for those who haven't yet. Please do so, you'll thank me later
    Don’t really buy any marvel apart from DD but you sure have tempted me

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I had a very similar experience to Batmil, but I am not a huge Allred fan. Here is my review from when I read it earlier this year from over on the Marvel thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Just finished this tonight. Before I started reading for the night I was underwhelmed especially due to all the hype. I am not a huge fan of Allred, his line work is good, but it lacks dynamism. His panels look like posed action and not as if action was captured, if that makes sense. The writing was solid, but for me Dawn lacked true depth like she was there to move Surfer down the path Slott had designed and not be a character of her own. I don't really feel like she had much of a character arc she was always just the quirky sidekick and the little bits that tried to make her grow fell flat for me. Maybe it's just me but I didn't really connect with her. I was thinking awesome go out of print and I could flip it.

Then I hit the last four issues and it all came home. It seriously made me mist up a bit. I think the only other comic that has really done that for me is Death of Captain Marvel. I don't think the end changes Dawn being a vehicle for Surfer's growth, but it's still such a strong powerful ending. I think I will hang on to it after all.
    I don’t recall if you do digital or not, but I believe the Omni is on the pricey side now. It is definitely a book you have to stick it out until the end for even if it doesn’t grab you right away. I get the idea from your posts that if a book doesn’t grab you in right away you have no problem dropping and moving on. This one is worth the pay off in my opinion.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

I have started reading Batman Dark Victory, as I finished The Long Halloween a while ago. Loved TLH, so this was the logical next step! Started yesterday, read just the Prologue.

I read Batman: Venom yesterday, it's potentially my favourite Batman arc and I love to read it once in a while
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackybones View Post
    Interesting. I was going to order it this week. Can others chime in on Kill or be killed? How does this stack up?
    Please order it if you are interested. I tried not to be too harsh on it, it's not a bad book by any means, in fact it's pretty good, but I became very jaded with comics recently and this just didn't hit the high notes for me as much as it did for LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD it seems like

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Give it a chance!
    I'm all on board for Slott, Allred and a Doctor Who pastiche from the start, so it wasn't a hard sell, but even I was surprised how hard the ending hit me.
    At the start I thought this is pretty fun but frankly, it's kinda silly and goofy and I don't really see why are people so crazy about it, then it just kept developing and the ending was just simply beautiful.
    I cry at movies quite a bit but only teared up at a comic once before, just a little, until SS, which made me ugly cry to an embarrassing level

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'll chime in and say Slott's and Allred's Silver Surfer is one of my favourite comics/runs of the 2010's. I wrote about it several posts back - funny and moving, amazing art and colours. Dawn.....what a wonderful character. Norrin was already one of my favourites. A beautiful story.

Just looked it up on the usual places (eBay amazon and the like) and it’s going for more than I care to spend on a character I have no interest in, so looks like this one has slipped past me

Astonishing Member

I started reading The Sandman: Season of Mists.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I thought Allred's Surfer was the best love story since Abby and Alec from Swamp Thing. I am currently re-reading New Frontier. What a great book! Just some of my favorite moments for the DC Universe and I love the 50's casting of DC figures from old Hollywood. Slam Bradley looks like Robert Mitchum.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I started reading The Sandman: Season of Mists.

Let us know what you think - I've read the first two Sandman omnibus editions not so long ago and I really liked them. This particular arc was one of my favourites.

Incredible Member

Just finished Carthago from Humanoids and will start Carthago Adventures this evening. Let's hope it is as much fun as the original Carthago (it's not a sequel, it's stories with some of the main characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Let us know what you think - I've read the first two Sandman omnibus editions not so long ago and I really liked them. This particular arc was one of my favourites.
    Same! And it gave us the AMAZING spin off series, Lucifer.