Page 108 of 220 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 3296
    Spectacular Member

Just finished Y: The Last Man. It was okay. Certainly not as good as what many have said. A bit disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    How did you like Mutant Massacre? I've just finished the Masterworks and TPBs leading right up to it and at least during the Epic Collection "The Gift", there were some not so great issues. Luckily it picked up again in TPB "Ghosts". But overall that phase was not as engaging as the material in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3, so I hope that Mutant Massacre picks up again.

As for your next read: Injustice Omnibus took me all of two sittings to read, it was that good. Real page turner! So I'd definitely recommend it.
    I had just read Simonson's Thor omni a few weeks ago, so it got me into the mood for Mutant Massacre with some of the same crossovers (Thor facing the Mauraders in the tunnels under NYC and saving Angel & Iceman). I think Mutant Massacre is a great read from the 80s--when I first read it, and even a few years ago during a re-read, I was always shocked how so many of our favorite X-men were taken off the board. It presents a mix of Uncanny X-Men which I enjoyed more than the X-Factor issues. I always thought X-Factor was built on a strange concept (the original 5 were posing as a "mutant hunting agency" as X-Factor, but also had second secret identities as the pro-mutant group "X-terminators.") But they had some very strong character development of Angel and Cyclops (who finally starts to acknowledge that he's married lol, and goes back to find Madelyn). Overall, Mutant Massacre has some pretty important build up leading into The Fall of the Mutants (which is one of my favorite crossovers). There's also a great Daredevil issue in Mutant Massacre by Ann Nocenti featuring DD and Sabretooth. The Thor crossover issues may seem strange or tough to follow (during that Simonson run there were 5 or 6 stories simultaneously being told so there's plenty of "...Meanwhile in ..." with side stories that don't necessarily tie into Thor's interactions with the X-Men/X-Factor.

Toward the end of the omni, the crossover issues were pretty worthy--I especially enjoyed X-Men vs Fantastic Four mini-series as it introduced a bit of a bond between Kitty and Franklin Richards. X-Men vs Avengers dealt with the aftermath and consequences of the trial of Magneto (which I'm not sure if I've reread or if it's in a collected edition--perhaps the upcoming Uncanny Claremont vol 4?).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBlueThunder View Post
    I had just read Simonson's Thor omni a few weeks ago, so it got me into the mood for Mutant Massacre with some of the same crossovers (Thor facing the Mauraders in the tunnels under NYC and saving Angel & Iceman). I think Mutant Massacre is a great read from the 80s--when I first read it, and even a few years ago during a re-read, I was always shocked how so many of our favorite X-men were taken off the board. It presents a mix of Uncanny X-Men which I enjoyed more than the X-Factor issues. I always thought X-Factor was built on a strange concept (the original 5 were posing as a "mutant hunting agency" as X-Factor, but also had second secret identities as the pro-mutant group "X-terminators.") But they had some very strong character development of Angel and Cyclops (who finally starts to acknowledge that he's married lol, and goes back to find Madelyn). Overall, Mutant Massacre has some pretty important build up leading into The Fall of the Mutants (which is one of my favorite crossovers). There's also a great Daredevil issue in Mutant Massacre by Ann Nocenti featuring DD and Sabretooth. The Thor crossover issues may seem strange or tough to follow (during that Simonson run there were 5 or 6 stories simultaneously being told so there's plenty of "...Meanwhile in ..." with side stories that don't necessarily tie into Thor's interactions with the X-Men/X-Factor.

Toward the end of the omni, the crossover issues were pretty worthy--I especially enjoyed X-Men vs Fantastic Four mini-series as it introduced a bit of a bond between Kitty and Franklin Richards. X-Men vs Avengers dealt with the aftermath and consequences of the trial of Magneto (which I'm not sure if I've reread or if it's in a collected edition--perhaps the upcoming Uncanny Claremont vol 4?).
    Hi, thanks for your reply

By now, I'm actually around 600 pages into the Mutant Massacre omnibus and I am really enjoying it. I agree that the X-Factor set-up doesn't seem to make much sense but I do enjoy most of the stories, especially the ones dealing with the attack on Angel and the aftermath. While I really loved the Thor by Simonson omnibus when I read it (including the issues in this omnibus), I find myself skipping through them now (apart from the one where he finds Angel), because they are usually more about Asgard and I want to know how the X-Men story develops.

The DD issue was great, as are the issues featuring Sabretooth and Wolverine.

Good to know that there is a follow-up to the trial of Magneto, which I just read last week. It was in the X-Men Ghosts TPB I think.

Terminal City at home and LOEG Tempest at work

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Terminal City at home and LOEG Tempest at work
    curious what you think of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    curious what you think of both.
    Had the floppies of terminal city when they came out years ago, I liked it then and I still like it now, love the art (although I seem to remember you weren’t that keen)

Two issues into tempest and I’m just letting it wash over me, I’ve no idea what is going on, can’t connect it to the last book, but I have been working nights, so maybe that’s why, but I still kind of dig it, I think it has been a rapid decline since vols 1 and 2 though

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Had the floppies of terminal city when they came out years ago, I liked it then and I still like it now, love the art (although I seem to remember you weren’t that keen)

Two issues into tempest and I’m just letting it wash over me, I’ve no idea what is going on, can’t connect it to the last book, but I have been working nights, so maybe that’s why, but I still kind of dig it, I think it has been a rapid decline since vols 1 and 2 though
    yeah I wasn't keen on Terminal city, sold my LE after the first arc. The art is not bad at all but it failed to paint me a picture of this world I could attach my self too.

Laura Dean keeps breaking up with me: lovely LGBTQ high school relationship drama from Mariko Tamaki and amazing art by Rosemary Valero-O'Conell (she needs to get more work ASAP, loved her art). Loved it to bits.
    Also reading Unwritten and it took my like 8 issues to get into it and I'm still not enjoying it as much as other Mike Carey books. Also the art is kinda whatever.

Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

Just started Nailbiter lastnight. So far very much into the main story.....could have done without 2 of the 'filler' stories so far.

Finally reading Tex The Long Ranger after getting it for £18, but I also picked up 9 of 12 Chew volumes (3 waiting to be delivered to my library branch) and I'm a third of the way through Jimenez' WW omnibus - loving it!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Amazing Member

I finished the first volume of The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I'm taking a break because as I'm sure many are aware of unfiltered Morrison can be a bit much. But I'm liking it. I'm reading along with Patrick Meaney's Our Sentence is Up companion book which is helpful in describing just what the hell is going on.

Finished book three of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. Fantastic stuff. I've never read Swamp Thing before but I can still see the groundbreaking work going on here.

Started to read Wonder Woman by George Perez. I'm really liking it. Perez's artwork is fantastic.

Also reading the Powers Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis. I'm finding it really easy to just sit down and read big chunks of it (although it is kind of annoying that it doesn't include cover pages for where issues begin and end). Crime + police procedural = good time. Kind of like a more colorful Gotham Central (which I also love).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GemSaloon007 View Post
    I finished the first volume of The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I'm taking a break because as I'm sure many are aware of unfiltered Morrison can be a bit much. But I'm liking it. I'm reading along with Patrick Meaney's Our Sentence is Up companion book which is helpful in describing just what the hell is going on.

Finished book three of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. Fantastic stuff. I've never read Swamp Thing before but I can still see the groundbreaking work going on here.

Started to read Wonder Woman by George Perez. I'm really liking it. Perez's artwork is fantastic.

Also reading the Powers Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis. I'm finding it really easy to just sit down and read big chunks of it (although it is kind of annoying that it doesn't include cover pages for where issues begin and end). Crime + police procedural = good time. Kind of like a more colorful Gotham Central (which I also love).
    I went into Perez' WW not expecting anything besides great art but I was surprised at how grown-up some of the issues were that the books dealt with. Maybe not groundbreaking today but at the time this must have been quite modern. I really loved his run although the first omnibus is probably my favourite as the other ones have art from other creators. Not bad by any means, just not Perez.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GemSaloon007 View Post
    I see there's Powers: the Best Ever GN coming out, is that a reprint or a brand new story?

The Perez run remains my favourite so far, and his art is amazing. I actually picked his cover for WW #750, very nice!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I see there's Powers: the Best Ever GN coming out, is that a reprint or a brand new story?
    I believe a compilation.