Page 121 of 220 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3286

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I have a different opinion on things. I think people only have different opinions/tastes because they all have different knowledges, expériences and educations.
    With proper and complete eduction, people would be able to analyse better things: a story, a drawing, a composition, a characterisation, ... and therefore have lesser subjective opinions on "art" in general.
    But to acquire such education it takes a very long time and a lot of will. That's why mostly when people tell you they like something, they don't really have arguments, they just like it.
    If someone can give you lots detailed arguments with lots of comparisons and counterexemples, his saying that this is better than this is probably more true. But since most don't have that knowledge, who cares.
    But I thing knowing more would broaden peoples minds and creat less conflicts over meaningless stuff. And people would fight less and agree more with eath other. Making evering simpler.
    I very much agree and disagree at the same time
    I LOVE critical analysis and I always try my best to give a reason why I dislike or like something, partially because I want people to have a better perspective on the subject matter, not just "me likey" or "me hate, so it's garbage and don't read".
    But also it develops you as a person when you contextualize your own feelings.
    Why do I like A book better than B book? Is it something in the art piece that works or doesn't work or is it just my personal feelings towards certain elements in it?
    The problem is that people can't be experts on everything and let's be honest, being experts about comics is probably one of the least important of them (although I still want comic book criticism to exist, no question).
    I much prefer movie criticism and analysis over comic book discussions so obviously I try to focus on that (but still keeping an eye on comics), but reviewing other mediums is getting increasingly harder (prose books, theatre, music) since there is only so much time in the day I can spend on consuming media.
    Also, even if we can admit that something is objectively good, there's still gonna be a subjective element, because art is still not a mechanical process where you do X thing to access Y emotion.
    No matter how much I tell my younger friends who grew up on High school musical (which according to them is A MUST SEE, and I actually watched them all + the spin off) that the Witch is probably the best horror movie of the last decade, they just gonna say "nah mate...it's boring and pish" and that's it. (and probably there's gonna be some of you here who think the same, even if you actually developed a finer taste in cinema than my friends).
    The same thing that makes me love the movie (atmosphere, personal drama, the bleakness, the weirdly sinister but positive ending, etc) makes them hate it and there's nothing I say do that would change it.
    But also, they approach movie watching very differently than I do. It just has a different function in their lives than in mine.

But we change as we age too, and develop a taste for things we used to hate and and loose some we used to love.
    I never cared for jidaigeki/chambara up until fairly recently, and now I'm obsessed with it, but a few years ago I've realized a comic book I used to love (just to stir things back to comics) now I absolutely can't stand even tho I very much respect the craftsmanship involved (it's The Goon).

Anyways, I very much agree that people should develop a more analytical approach sometimes but some things will still remain subjective, no matter what. Diversity of opinion is what makes life interesting.

Today I've re-read Superior and I'm currently re-reading Starlight. I wanted something finished, quick and easy going to read.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Mighty Member

Avengers: No Surrender now followed by No Road Home today and tomorrow. I hope they're good - I like the teams involved
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I finished reading Solar Flare Volume 3: Sarasota today.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Avengers: No Surrender now followed by No Road Home today and tomorrow. I hope they're good - I like the teams involved
    Both are excellent
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I haven't yet read No Road Home but I enjoyed No Surrender. A good read.

Extraordinary Member

After a year absence from comics, I will finally try to finish Wolfman Teen Titans. I woke at 05:00 and read for an hour but my eyes couldn't handle it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Both are excellent
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I haven't yet read No Road Home but I enjoyed No Surrender. A good read.
    I'm really enjoying the first one right now. The slightest of complaints - they have those "who is on each team" pages after issues 3, 4, 5 (I think) and those would have been great as preamble.

I've always been fascinated by weekly events/ team projects like this and this one is shaping up pretty well so far

Extraordinary Member

I finished Meet the Skrulls. Superb!

Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I liked Y: The Last Man, I know a lot of people don't like it though. It is quite a simple comic I think but simple isn't synonymous with bad, and actually sometimes I want to sit down and just breeze through a simple book, other times I want something more intricate

For example, when I read Dark Knight Returns I was sat there thinking, well this is boring. I think hype doesn't help any book sometimes because if you don't like it, I find it feels even worse because I was expecting it to be good. When I told somebody that I didn't enjoy DKR they said that it was a classic moment in comics and I just 'didn't understand it properly' and I didn't 'appreciate the complexity', and they just sounded like one of those people who 'only reads literature' because they are too intelligent for 'genre books', or in other words they sounded like an idiot. I didn't like the book regardless, but it being hyped up by people around me definitely made it feel worse. I will reread it some time because it was years ago that I read it.
    So in the end I would say I enjoyed Y The Last Man.......but that has everything to do with Book 5. I still don't think I'll ever re-read it as I didn't enjoy/believe some of the ridiculous 'adventures' along the way and I have a series long issue with some of the dialogue. It 'sounds' forced and unnatural at times.......I don't know, maybe my early dislike for the book made me overly critical.

Currently re-reading C.O.W.L. again.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Astonishing Member

I read a collection of three Phantom stories that i don´t know when they were originally published because that information is not in the book.
    I would guess they are from the 50´s because of the art style.The stories were interesting and have been years since i read Phantom stories.

And finished reading recently Blake and Mortimer (Atlantis Mystery)
    The story take a bit more to read through.There is plenty of narration and dialogs and pages with as much as 14 pannels but that is balanced well with the elegant art style and a interesting story.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just read JMS’ Spider-Man Ultimate Collection 1.
    Off to a strong start, although I think I’ll drop off when John Romita Jr did, because that’s when the stories just got downright weird/bad.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyFraser View Post
    So in the end I would say I enjoyed Y The Last Man.......but that has everything to do with Book 5. I still don't think I'll ever re-read it as I didn't enjoy/believe some of the ridiculous 'adventures' along the way and I have a series long issue with some of the dialogue. It 'sounds' forced and unnatural at times.......I don't know, maybe my early dislike for the book made me overly critical.
    If Y The Last Man didn’t stick the landing, it would’ve been a passable book. But the ending is just superb that it makes everything that came before it worthwhile. Although I love the story roundabout the middle that feels like the end of season one, when we discover it was Ampersand, and then the monkey gets stolen too.
    K Vaughan just gets that about endings. Ex Machina and Y both have endings that work.

Mighty Member

I'm really enjoying the first one right now. The slightest of complaints - they have those "who is on each team" pages after issues 3, 4, 5 (I think) and those would have been great as preamble.

I've always been fascinated by weekly events/ team projects like this and this one is shaping up pretty well so far
    Finished both No Surrender and No Road Home. Definitely preferred No Surrender - not sure if it was Conan or the villain or what, but NRH just didn't click with me.

On to Ewing's run on Ultimates - I'm about half way through the second volume and it's really fun.