Page 128 of 219 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 3273
    Spectacular Member

Currently reading The Boys. Finished with Omnibus Vols 1-4, 5-6 left. I have to say the show is much better. Cut out all the crap kept the few good things while putting in some of their own stuff which was an improvement.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Jim Lee is my favorite artist, Claremont is my favorite writer and X-Men my favorite comic book property... so yeah, that run was basically my all-time favorite comic book era. Volume 2 will have the better parts though.

As for Marc Silvestri, I was never a huge fan of his work on X-Men. His later work on Wolverine was much better, in my opinion. Really dug him there.
    Just started on the second Claremont / Lee omnibus and the evolution of the art is amazing. While there seem to be no digital gradients yet, it seems that the coloring took a step forward at the time, introducing several flesh tones to make skin more realistic and using several shades of the same colour to simulate grading better than previously. At the same time, the insanely detailed pencils of Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio are a massive step up from Silvestri and other predecessors.

Apart from the changes in the coloring and pencils, there seems to be so much more going on on each page. Really remarkable. I understand now better why those guys became superstars.

Story-wise it's indeed an improvement as the teams are finally back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Just started on the second Claremont / Lee omnibus and the evolution of the art is amazing. While there seem to be no digital gradients yet, it seems that the coloring took a step forward at the time, introducing several flesh tones to make skin more realistic and using several shades of the same colour to simulate grading better than previously. At the same time, the insanely detailed pencils of Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio are a massive step up from Silvestri and other predecessors.

Apart from the changes in the coloring and pencils, there seems to be so much more going on on each page. Really remarkable. I understand now better why those guys became superstars.

Story-wise it's indeed an improvement as the teams are finally back together.
    I always felt there was something off with Whilce Portacio's facial expressions and the way he drew "energi attacks". But I agree that he drew lots of details, same as Jim Lee. Guys like them really broke the mold and departed from the 80's (and earlier periods), where both characters and backgrounds were drawn with much less detail.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Hi, so Ex Machina was great overall, but I think that some of the plots towards the end could have been shortened / or replaced with stories to explain what happened during the time jump at the end. The ending felt suddenly rushed, a bit unearned and out of character. Would still definitely recommend this to everyone though.

*SPOILERS* for Ex Machina

Especially the way H interacted with his two former closest allies at the end felt strange. What is the supposed takeaway in the relationship with B? Did H have feelings for B (as one of the previous stories suggest where he thinks he will die and says "tell him I loved him") but didn't want to admit it now because that would have been a problem with his campaign for higher office? Or was it because B was clearly drunk and down on his luck and maybe confused? My guess is the former and it would fit with him becoming more ruthless in the course of the book. (Or, fun alternative: he was always this ruthless, but it was revealed more and more during the book).

As far as other BKV books, I have read the three Saga hardcovers and the two Paper Girls hardcovers that are out so far. I would say that Saga still takes top spot (even though it is unfinished) and Ex Machina comes in second. With Paper Girls I need to see whether he can stick the landing there. Also, while I did enjoy it, I wasn't blown away by it like many others.

Still have the Y absolutes and the Runaways omnibus on the shelf that I need to read. Any other BKV books worth tracking down?
    One takeaway from Ex Machina is you can actually apply any of those 3 reasons and it all fits beautifully.

Full spoilers ahead
    On a reread, you can see all his stances and decisions...from the moment he donned the costume, till he took it off and started going for mayorship...you could easily apply that to the fact that he IS in fact making way for this invasion on a subconscious level. Maybe he doesn’t even know he’s doing it.

The other way to apply it is the political game corrupted him.

But who can really tell? With what we’re given, we can take it either way. Either way, the most powerful being on Earth becomes in a position that is deeme almost powerless. Hundred “loses” his voice.

And I second the Private Eye hardback.
    I’d definitely dig into Y The Last Man if I were you.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just finished the Stray Bullets Omnibus and I really think it's a crime comic so unlike any other. If you like Hundred Bullets, shows like Breaking Bad or the Wire, you definitely need to check out Stray Bullets. I think this is my 3rd read through and I finally got a handle on all the characters and the way the book plays with time.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just finished DD by Brubaker v2 and now starting DD Shadowland
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I've just started The Complete Essex County.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Just got around to reading
    Man-Wolf: The Complete Collection
    Some of these stories I've never had the opportunity to read before.
    91kb612hrmL.jpg

I fell into an animation rabbit hole recently so only read a couple of books (also I gave up a while ago on the 1000 issues thing)
    Mooncakes: I think, even with my affinity for YA fiction, I'm slightly older than a target demographic. Also wasn't too keen on the art, felt rushed and the compositions not well thought out (based on the artist's other work and the sketches in the back, she is good tho).
    Fun LGBTQ heavy supernatural story for young girls tho.

Plain Janes: A teenage girl with PTSD after a terror attack moves to a small town and starts a guerrilla art collective. The first story is somewhat naive at points and Rugg's art took me a bit to get used to but I've warmed up to it a lot as it went along. I think the last third is the best part but if the premise sounds interesting I would recommend this book (the latest edition, that collects the whole series).
    Lots of discussions about the importance of art (installations, street art, traditional, etc), which I like.

After finishing Essex County, I'm now reading Alters Volume 1. Bought this really cheap a long time ago and only just picked it up to read.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've just started reading Giant Days Volume 1.
    Right when you posted this I had finished up vol. 2. Did you enjoy it? I personally can't wait to pick up the subsequent volumes. I should also give John Allison's other work, Bad Machinery, a try too.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Right when you posted this I had finished up vol. 2. Did you enjoy it? I personally can't wait to pick up the subsequent volumes. I should also give John Allison's other work, Bad Machinery, a try too.
    Yeah I enjoyed it enough to make me want to buy the next volume. I don't often read stuff with that amount of humour in it, so it was a nice change!

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    I just want to join the giant days praise. Loved the series, it's kinda like a comfort blanket for me.
    Allison had a new series that I'm interested in, the only thing keeping me from bad machinery is his art. Not that it's bad but the early issues of giant days when he was drawing it really didn't click with me (to be fair that's only included in the hardcovers as extras anyways)

Spectacular Member

I just finished up Lazarus: The First Collection, Lazarus: The Second Collection and Lazarus: The Third Collection. Still need to read the Lazarus Sourcebook. Started up the Super Sons omnibus. Been a quick read so far. Got a third of the way through in one night.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    After finishing Essex County, I'm now reading Alters Volume 1. Bought this really cheap a long time ago and only just picked it up to read.
    I read volume 1 some time ago and can't even remember what I thought of it...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”