Page 14 of 220 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Am I the only one who found this extremely overrated? Seems a lot of you are hyped for the upcoming OHC as well. I'm mean the story was intruguing and art was good, but i found the narration godawful, to the point of really turning me off of it. Hard to believe this is oft considered THE best spidey story.

*side note: I bought the epic from earlier this year and also found the much praised spider-man/wolverine issue to be mediocre as well. Shame as i was really pumped for that particular collection.
    I remember liking Kraven's last hunt as a kid but the grim tone put me off a bit, re read is an adult who quite likes depressing, grim and deconstructed stories and found it really try hard and forced, didn't fit Spidey at all imho, but that's just my 2 cents. I can see why people love it and it's not a disaster by any means I just don't think it works the way it's told and with this character.

Incredible Member

Finished league of Extraordinary Gentlemen 3 (aka the Century Trilogy). Found that to be more of an engaging read than Black Dossier and a nice conclusion (?) to the LOEG adventures. With the Black Dossier, I just felt that the climax didn't live up to where I though the book was headed. The general idea was cool but the execution somehow lacked.

Now on to the Punisher Omnibus by Garth Ennis. 14 issues in, fun read so far. Completely over the top but I treat it like a popcorn movie.

Astonishing Member

Going to start reading Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus:1.
    Have read them before in other formats but of course i am looking forward to re-read again what i think are the best Spider-Man stories.Sure the other 70 stories from Stan Lee are equally great as well,from the first 100 issues of A.S.M. but the Stan Lee/Steve Dikto run in Amazin Spider-Man i remember being the one that i enjoyed quite a lot reading them years ago.

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one who found this extremely overrated? Seems a lot of you are hyped for the upcoming OHC as well. I'm mean the story was intruguing and art was good, but i found the narration godawful, to the point of really turning me off of it. Hard to believe this is oft considered THE best spidey story.

*side note: I bought the epic from earlier this year and also found the much praised spider-man/wolverine issue to be mediocre as well. Shame as i was really pumped for that particular collection.
    I am going to buy the upcoming OHC of Kravn Last Hunt.
    I have already that story in TPB but i want that story in a hard cover format and the extras in the OHC are a must have to me,because they have the sequel by the same writer as well for example.A story that i never found to be sold in Comic Book Shops.
    About Kraven Last Hunt being the best story one have to consider that Spider-Man comic books had many others equally great stories(Especially the stories by Stan Lee in the first 100 th issues of Amazing Spider-Man and the Roger Stern stories in Amazing Spider-Man and in Spectacular Spider-Man,just to say a few)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Finished league of Extraordinary Gentlemen 3 (aka the Century Trilogy). Found that to be more of an engaging read than Black Dossier and a nice conclusion (?) to the LOEG adventures. With the Black Dossier, I just felt that the climax didn't live up to where I though the book was headed. The general idea was cool but the execution somehow lacked.

Now on to the Punisher Omnibus by Garth Ennis. 14 issues in, fun read so far. Completely over the top but I treat it like a popcorn movie.
    Glad you liked Century more. I think Moore and O'neill confirmed there will be one more story. The Ennis Punisher omnibus is fun, especially Welcome back Frank but it really pales in comparison with his MAX run.

I'm currently reading Sandman Mystery Theatre book 2, loving every single page and cursing DC (again and again) for cancelling the collections (again). I absolutely adore this series and it really breaks my hears.

Vol 15 of Fables, didn't realise it was the last one, i'll miss it, but at least it will save me some money

Just reread Peter Milligan - Shade The changing man vol 1 Next up is vol 2. It is such an underrated series. Very weird and a story I think you need to read several times to very understand and appreciate.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Glad you liked Century more. I think Moore and O'neill confirmed there will be one more story. The Ennis Punisher omnibus is fun, especially Welcome back Frank but it really pales in comparison with his MAX run.

I'm currently reading Sandman Mystery Theatre book 2, loving every single page and cursing DC (again and again) for cancelling the collections (again). I absolutely adore this series and it really breaks my hears.
    Good to know that there will be another story. I will get the Punisher Max Omnis next year and wait until then to read the Jason Aaron Punisher Max. Also still have the Remender Punisher to read.

But I will change it up again for the next book. I usually change between publisher and between new and old for each read. Sometimes I read a run completely through, for instance Brubaker cap and New52 Aquaman - and of course LOEG.

So much great stuff

Astonishing Member

So after Reading a few stories from Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus :1 i have to say this format is great.
    A real quality book,i have only read the first three stories so far but i am enjoying a lot the atention to the details of the Marvel Omnibus format.
    For exemple it having printed the letters section is cool.Have never read them because i read the first Spider-Man in other fomrats besides the floppy editions.

Just switched up my reading list and started Animal Man by Morrison. First time reading this since it was originally published way back when and it still works for me.

Incredible Member

Checked out some Bronze Age Brave and the Bold. Its ok. Waiting to get into the Neal Adams stuff. Sort of funny reading the digs at Spiderman. Also had one of the worst comics early on that I have read in a while. The issue where Wonder Woman and Batgirl fight over Batman as a ruse and than for real.

About 700-800 pages into the Batman and Robin by Tomasi/Gleason Omnibus. It's generally great, sometimes incredible, and occasionally it meanders, but for the most part I'm loving it. The annuals so far have been amazing, too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Just reread Peter Milligan - Shade The changing man vol 1 Next up is vol 2. It is such an underrated series. Very weird and a story I think you need to read several times to very understand and appreciate.
    My all time favorite American comic book series. It only gets better after Vol2. It is so sad that such important series highly ignored. No Matt Fraction or G. Wilson without Shade the Changing Man. Yet the series never promoted correctly to next generation of readers. Buy floppies and you will go crazy around issue#45. I cried for days after #50. The weirdness will meet with high melodrama in most sophisticated way.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I remember liking Kraven's last hunt as a kid but the grim tone put me off a bit, re read is an adult who quite likes depressing, grim and deconstructed stories and found it really try hard and forced, didn't fit Spidey at all imho, but that's just my 2 cents. I can see why people love it and it's not a disaster by any means I just don't think it works the way it's told and with this character.
    I just finished reading the Epic and enjoyed reading it as a whole. ASM #20 Annual with Iron Man 2020 was a bit of a slog to get through but I really enjoyed the issues preceding the Kraven storyline written by David Michelinie. The Spidey Wolverine one shot I initially read in the Wolverine Omnibus and found it just OK. Second time reading I liked it better although the narration is a bit corny at times. I was really looking forward to the Kraven story, as it was my first time reading, but it turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax.I agree in that it seems forced and in no way IMHO is the best Spidey story as there are much better ones. I read through the majority of it again the next day and appreciated it much better. A second reading does help but, yeah, the narration I found quite strange and quirky. I'll probably pick up the deluxe also for the extra stories and I'm curious as to this "new" Deluxe format. Btw, as to this story being too dark for Spidey and not fitting his character, it was actually initially meant for Batman and Joker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I just finished reading the Epic and enjoyed reading it as a whole. ASM #20 Annual with Iron Man 2020 was a bit of a slog to get through but I really enjoyed the issues preceding the Kraven storyline written by David Michelinie. The Spidey Wolverine one shot I initially read in the Wolverine Omnibus and found it just OK. Second time reading I liked it better although the narration is a bit corny at times. I was really looking forward to the Kraven story, as it was my first time reading, but it turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax.I agree in that it seems forced and in no way IMHO is the best Spidey story as there are much better ones. I read through the majority of it again the next day and appreciated it much better. A second reading does help but, yeah, the narration I found quite strange and quirky. I'll probably pick up the deluxe also for the extra stories and I'm curious as to this "new" Deluxe format. Btw, as to this story being too dark for Spidey and not fitting his character, it was actually initially meant for Batman and Joker.
    Oddly enough, I enjoyed those preceding issues more as well. Maybe expectations had a part to play?