Page 147 of 219 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 3284

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Would you guys suggest Superior Foes of Spider-Man?
    I’ve heard good things and I enjoyed Spencer’s Ant-Man run (not the best thing I’ve ever read but it was still entertaining) - is it more of less the exact same kind of thing or?
    yes and yes. Self contained, has an ending, C level villains in the focus. I'd say it's probably even better than his Ant-man, but it's been a long time since I've read it. But I liked both.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Would you guys suggest Superior Foes of Spider-Man?
    I’ve heard good things and I enjoyed Spencer’s Ant-Man run (not the best thing I’ve ever read but it was still entertaining) - is it more of less the exact same kind of thing or?
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yes and yes. Self contained, has an ending, C level villains in the focus. I'd say it's probably even better than his Ant-man, but it's been a long time since I've read it. But I liked both.
    Yes, I would echo Balakin - Superior Foes is very good and IMHO better than Ant-Man.

oh, for some reason I thought you are more of a modern reader dunno why, my bad
    In that case I would also recommend Michelinie and definitely the Dennis O'neill Iron man runs too :P
    Well, I am more of a modern reader in general, but mostly because of what was immediately available to me and what not I've always hated Iron Man because of the films, but I think I will probably enjoy the comics if I just try and forget about the films entirely^^
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Well, I am more of a modern reader in general, but mostly because of what was immediately available to me and what not I've always hated Iron Man because of the films, but I think I will probably enjoy the comics if I just try and forget about the films entirely^^
    While I enjoy the movie Iron man, that characterization was a big departure from his comic book personality, so I think you'd enjoy those comics.
    Also he has the weirdest rogues gallery (the Unicorn????) but it somehow works.

While I enjoy the movie Iron man, that characterization was a big departure from his comic book personality, so I think you'd enjoy those comics.
    Also he has the weirdest rogues gallery (the Unicorn????) but it somehow works.
    The unicorn huh? Our national animal is the unicorn, so I look forward to that
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

he is Russian tho

Since my copy just arrived I'm reading the JLA omnibus. Haven't read this material since it originally came out and one issue in I feel that same love and excitement I did as a kid.

oops, I actually read a couple of books lately I forgot to type about (if anyone is interested in my heavily indie focused recommendations).

Ordered a few books from Shortbox (small UK publisher) to support them:
    Cry wolf girl by Ariel Ries: 40something page story but I love Ries' art since I've read Witchy. This was good, but of course short. Still, it felt like she was saying something important to her and said it really well.
    Minotaar by Lissa Treiman: another short one. Two friends go on a trip to a Swedish furniture store on a quest to find a specific piece of furniture but the store is basically a magical labyrinth.
    Really funny and energetic, would love to see more from Treiman (although she seems to be busy working for Disney).
    Don't Go Without Me by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell: 3 short stories from the artist who did Laura Dean keeps breaking up with me. That's all I needed to know to hit the BUY button with my fist
    The stories vary in quality (but all 3 are good to a different degree) but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE O'Connell's art.

Dancing at the pity party: a young woman processing her mother's battle with cancer and eventual death through this graphic memoir. The art style and colors are deliberately simple and somewhat childish but the story is heartfelt and sometimes even funny.

Spinning by Tillie Walden: usual Walden quality, very indie feel, but this time it's a memoir about her carrier as a child/young adult figure skater. Has a sort of melancholy feel to it but in a good way.

Speak - The graphic novel: adapted from a prose novel with art by Emily Carroll. Story of a teenage girl who goes through a horrible trauma which she is unable to speak about and lives through high school as an outcast, because she gets blamed for something else.
    A pretty harrowing read at points with some levity due to the witty narration and amazing art and adaptation by Carroll.
    I was hesitant to read this due to the subject matter but it proved to be a super satisfying read by the end. Highly recommended!

Almost American Girl: Story of a Korean teenager who all of a sudden immigrates to America, without actually realizing it and now has to deal with being the new girl in a new school in a different country without any friends. A very good graphic memoir but I can't help to think it would be even better with a different art style. It just felt a bit rushed. Still a very good read and a very honest examination of Korean culture and the relationship between a single mother and her daughter.

The Fire never goes out: Noelle Stevenson's graphic memoir but it's more of a collection of webcomics and doodles she made throughout the years about her life. I'm a huge fan of her work (the She-ra Netflix show and Nimona) so I felt like reading this, and while it isn't the best memoir ever (mainly because collecting these strips was an after tought), it was still interesting and fun.
    Good supplemental material (or standalone read) is the webcomic she made about her coming out for oprahmag.com or the current comic she did about her top surgery on gumroad.

Witchlight
    by Jessi Zabarsky: girl meets witch girl, they go on a journey and they discover themselves.
    It's a good YA fantasy adventure with a lot of good low key representation and a nice, clean cartoony art style. Haven't seen anyone talking about this anywhere but it should be in the same "to read" piles as most of the First second YA books are. Thumbs up!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'm reading Doc Savage Archives Vol.1: The Curtis Magazine Era OHC and quite enjoying it. Excellent quality in many ways.

Spectacular Member

Eaglemoss Collection of The Man Who Laughs and Arkham Asylum.

Recently I've read The Sandman: Endless Nights, which I mostly enjoyed. Dream's story was my favourite. I've also read volumes 5 and 6 of Giant Days. I'm liking it more and more the further I get into the series. I'm now reading Bad Weekend by Brubaker and Phillips, which I have read in floppy format already but I got it cheap.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Just finished rererereading Crisis on Infinite Earths hardcover.

Incredible Member

Just finished Before Watchmen Omnibus and Absolute Flashpoint. Next up is DC: Rebirth Deluxe, followed by Batman/Flash The Button Deluxe - you can guess where this is leading, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Just finished Before Watchmen Omnibus and Absolute Flashpoint. Next up is DC: Rebirth Deluxe, followed by Batman/Flash The Button Deluxe - you can guess where this is leading, right?
    An overkill of DC?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I just finished Doomsday Clock and, while it very clearly changed course (that is, Rebirth and The Button had much less to do w/the story than one might have guessed), it was still quite enjoyable
    Blue text denotes sarcasm