Page 154 of 219 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 3272

Started on The Nao of Brown, by Glyn Dillon.

13594590.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Started on The Nao of Brown, by Glyn Dillon.

13594590.jpg
    Beautiful art on that one.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Doom Patrol by Arnold Drake and Bruno Premiani, must read for fans of Mike Allred. Amazing art, unbelievably unique, strange, campy, and weird. They are great characters too! They feel like a collection of Sci Fi and horror story ideas colliding together.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 01-23-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Duam, by Félix Vega
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

Finishing up Aaron's run on Thor - Road to War of the Realms now, then Asgardians of the Galaxy v1, then War of the Realms + a few tie-ins, then King Thor. Hoping to be done w/all that before kick-off tomorrow afternoon
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Four by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo omnibus. I really enjoy when getting to read a long chronological stretch by the same writer/artist, as it always makes for much more coherent storytelling than when either is switched all the time. And as such, this book does feel like a big arc with a direction. I'm not the biggest fan of Wieringo's cartoonish artwork, but it's very consistent, the colouring matches it extremely well and it fits the storytelling. Tonally, the book confuses me a bit - as it goes from mostly being fun, lighthearted adventures with a family mindset straight to some pretty gruelling parts that, among other things, involves a villain creating a set of armor from a human being and children going to hell... what exactly is the target audience here?

While the book overall was pretty enjoyable for me, there are aspects that nearly ruined the book for me. Most of the teams' problems are solved by Reed creating some outlandish and unbelievable (even for a comic book) piece of technology one the fly, from scraps, while fighting the bad guy, that has some way too convenient and too often outright silly properties. Especially when the team went to heaven to solve a problem, I nearly gave up on the entire book. But that aside, the book was decent entertaining with some fun adventures. I feel that this was what Tim Story aimed to replicate with his 2 Fantastic Four movies, as there are many similarities.

While I am fully aware that Fantastic Four is a family and known for kid friendly adventures, I would like to read something with them a bit more mature. Any suggestions? Perhaps Hickmann?

Papergirls deluxe 1, 2 and 3.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Onto The Vision by King & Walta.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Fantastic Four by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo omnibus. I really enjoy when getting to read a long chronological stretch by the same writer/artist, as it always makes for much more coherent storytelling than when either is switched all the time. And as such, this book does feel like a big arc with a direction. I'm not the biggest fan of Wieringo's cartoonish artwork, but it's very consistent, the colouring matches it extremely well and it fits the storytelling. Tonally, the book confuses me a bit - as it goes from mostly being fun, lighthearted adventures with a family mindset straight to some pretty gruelling parts that, among other things, involves a villain creating a set of armor from a human being and children going to hell... what exactly is the target audience here?

While the book overall was pretty enjoyable for me, there are aspects that nearly ruined the book for me. Most of the teams' problems are solved by Reed creating some outlandish and unbelievable (even for a comic book) piece of technology one the fly, from scraps, while fighting the bad guy, that has some way too convenient and too often outright silly properties. Especially when the team went to heaven to solve a problem, I nearly gave up on the entire book. But that aside, the book was decent entertaining with some fun adventures. I feel that this was what Tim Story aimed to replicate with his 2 Fantastic Four movies, as there are many similarities.

While I am fully aware that Fantastic Four is a family and known for kid friendly adventures, I would like to read something with them a bit more mature. Any suggestions? Perhaps Hickmann?
    Definitely. Probably the most mature option (but I'm not the biggest F4 fan). It has its moments levity and fun but it's also your usual Hickman grand plan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Definitely. Probably the most mature option (but I'm not the biggest F4 fan). It has its moments levity and fun but it's also your usual Hickman grand plan as well.
    Thanks, I'll give him a try.

I've been looking for some Fantastic Four that I'd really fall in love with for a while, having extremely fond memories of John Byrne's run on the title from the 80's. I have the Byrne omnibus vol. 1 waiting for me, but I'm almost afraid to jump into it, fearing that it will ruin my memories and that FF simply doesn't resonate with me like it did back then... because everything else FF I have read lately have been a dissappointment overall; all the Epics released from the 80's and 90's, Matt Faction's run and now Mark Waid's run. Waid's stuff was the best by far, but still nowhere near how I remember Byrne's magic run.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Onto The Vision by King & Walta.
    Very very good. Much better than King's Omega Men and Mister Miracle IMHO.

I've been looking for some Fantastic Four that I'd really fall in love with for a while, having extremely fond memories of John Byrne's run on the title from the 80's. I have the Byrne omnibus vol. 1 waiting for me, but I'm almost afraid to jump into it, fearing that it will ruin my memories and that FF simply doesn't resonate with me like it did back then... because everything else FF I have read lately have been a dissappointment overall; all the Epics released from the 80's and 90's, Matt Faction's run and now Mark Waid's run. Waid's stuff was the best by far, but still nowhere near how I remember Byrne's magic run.
    Fraction's is usually regarded as a very weak run (although some like his FF stuff with Alred). Hickman's is very Hickman (complex big ideas and he just expects you to keep up with him) but it's the F4 run people usually enjoy the most. I was extremely lukewarm on it at first but by the end he wrote some really cool stuff I genuinely enjoyed.

Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

Just finished Wonder Woman - Dead Earth

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Finishing up Aaron's run on Thor - Road to War of the Realms now, then Asgardians of the Galaxy v1, then War of the Realms + a few tie-ins, then King Thor. Hoping to be done w/all that before kick-off tomorrow afternoon
    Got all that done and am reading Jane Foster: Valkyrie now. Fraction's run on Iron Man awaits me after that (I've been bouncing back and forth between Aaron's Thor and that). Then Chew, I think. Not sure which way to go after that.

Hickman's run is fun, and you can stop there if you don't want to read the rest of his stuff leading up to Secret Wars (that is, the FF run feels complete). While there is a bit of "Reed builds the perfect thing to solve the problem" in it, Reed's genius is not infallible and he's really quite interesting here. As someone who has never enjoyed the Inhumans, their appearance towards the end of his run definitely doesn't do anything for me.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member

Not an Omnibus but I just finished Goodnight Punpun V5... really digging it. Can’t wait to finish it up. I feel like I have gone through so many GNPP emotional beat downs getting here but it is so worth it...