Page 155 of 220 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 3286

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Fraction's is usually regarded as a very weak run (although some like his FF stuff with Alred). Hickman's is very Hickman (complex big ideas and he just expects you to keep up with him) but it's the F4 run people usually enjoy the most. I was extremely lukewarm on it at first but by the end he wrote some really cool stuff I genuinely enjoyed.
    Yeah Hickmann is nothing if not complex, no arguments there.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Hickman's run is fun, and you can stop there if you don't want to read the rest of his stuff leading up to Secret Wars (that is, the FF run feels complete). While there is a bit of "Reed builds the perfect thing to solve the problem" in it, Reed's genius is not infallible and he's really quite interesting here. As someone who has never enjoyed the Inhumans, their appearance towards the end of his run definitely doesn't do anything for me.
    I guess the "Reed builds the perfect thing to solve the problem" is an integral part of Fantastic Four DNA that most authors rely heavily upon.

Still, it sounds like Hickmann's run on FF is worth a shot.

In other news I read Absolute Carnage yesterday (just the mini series, no tie-ins). It was... not what I expected. I realize that there were tie-ins with a lot of different titles, but it's basically just another Venom vs. Carnage story. Nothing special, really. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly an epic crossover, either. In fact, I found it weird that it wasn't just an arc within the ongoing Venom series. It felt a bit short as well, with little meat on the bones. And sure, reading the tie-ins would likely help in that aspect - but a good crossover miniseries should work well enough on its own, with tie-ins being flavor.

East of west year 1, 2 and 3.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    What are you thoughts? I read book 1 years ago but never continues for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    What are you thoughts? I read book 1 years ago but never continues for some reason.
    I just finished the first. It's my third read of it. And every time it's better. Now on to the second. That will be my second read of it. And looking forward to the conclusion in the third. Haven't read that one.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

About to rip into these white whales that I finally found copies of nearly 10 yrs later!

JLGL.jpg

DC released these (overpriced) volumes back in 2011, and while I loved the series enough to double dip for collections, $40 was really steep at the time for a standard HC. So I waited for the inevitable TPB's, of which vol. 1 quickly came out. However in typical DC fashion, they canceled the second volume. I tried to find the then OOP HC's, but they were already going for even more astronomical prices online! Fast forward and last week one of my LCS's suddenly has both HC volumes on their "Used" shelf, even though both are still shrink wrapped!?

Moral of the story kids - if you're ridiculously patient, you too can avoid paying cover price+ for OOP books!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I picked up For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library Volume 5 today and started reading it when I got home.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All-New Member

Umbrella Academy (LEs) - It's a blast. I did read the first two volumes back when they first came out. Glad I waited the LEs for my collection.

Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore. Loved it -- about time DC started giving us Bronze Age Superman books. Curt Swan's art is amazing - having become a Supes fan during the triangle era, it was eye-opening to see how much Tom Grummett's art hearkens back to Swan. And it's also interesting to note a kind of line wide story shift going on at DC at this time: the depowering of GL's ring, Wonder Woman losing her powers altogether, and then Superman being slightly depowered. Made me think about how comics definitely mimic a sucessful formula (80's FF now in blue and white costumes! Spidey now in a black and white costume! Cap now in a black and red costume!... or Superman's replaced by 4 Supermen; Batman's replaced by Azbats; and Diana is replaced by Artemis; while GA and GL are now completely new characters ... etc). Anyway, a fun read.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

I remember seeing that HC on the new release list, is it oversized by any chance?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Love, love, love it. Nick Dragota is the 5th horseman of the apocalypse. Fun, intriguing story as well.

I'm in my re-read of New 52 Nightwing via the omnibus. Also doing some Batman Golden Age reading from the TPBs.

Amazing Member

Wife got me both Byrne Man of Steel HC for my birthday. Haven't read these since I bought them new as single issues when I was 12 in 1986. I wish they were oversized and better paper but it's some of my favorite Superman stories and a blast from the past all in one!

Quote Originally Posted by lodebone View Post
    Wife got me both Byrne Man of Steel HC for my birthday. Haven't read these since I bought them new as single issues when I was 12 in 1986. I wish they were oversized and better paper but it's some of my favorite Superman stories and a blast from the past all in one!
    How bad is the paper? Is it like Marvel Epic Collections?

I'm considering getting the Man of Steel volumes myself. Loved that run as a kid, it's what got me into Superman as one of the only DC properties.

Quote Originally Posted by superheroes for hire View Post
    Love, love, love it. Nick Dragota is the 5th horseman of the apocalypse. Fun, intriguing story as well.
    Just finished it. I loved it! Give me more like this!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    How bad is the paper? Is it like Marvel Epic Collections?

I'm considering getting the Man of Steel volumes myself. Loved that run as a kid, it's what got me into Superman as one of the only DC properties.
    It's more like conventional TPB paper. Decent thickness and quality but not as glossy as an Epic. Not enough to skip the books, at least for me.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

I remember seeing that HC on the new release list, is it oversized by any chance?
    If you're asking about Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore, it's standard size unfortunately.