Page 159 of 220 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3296
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Yeah, well... it gets worse after that book. A lot worse.

Nicieza is okay, but Lobdell is probably one of the worst X-Men writers I have encountered.

Myself, I'm reading X-Men Fall of The Mutants (the Milestones edition, not the omnibus). After the pretty solid X-Men arch that opens the book, it switches to an absurd New Mutants storyline featuring some animal/human hybrid named "Bird Brain". Yeah. If I hadn't read it myself, I wouldn't believe it. Thank you for that little gem, Louise Simonsen...
    I think Lobdell was decent before and maybe during Age of Apocalypse, but I have nothing much good to say after that. The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix was really good, for example.

I'm reading Curse Worlds by Soule right now. It's pretty fun. I'll burn through Immortal Hulk v8 tomorrow and wait patiently for my next order from CGN while (slowly) continuing my read through Fraction's Iron Man.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    X-Men - The Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix OHC - Just started this as part of my 90s X-Men readathon. I really dreaded diving into the 90s after Claremont, but I have to say that so far, Nicieza is solid writer, as is Lobdell (I do have some exposure to their writing from Age of Apocalypse).
    1991 - 1995 is my X-Men sweet spot, and this book (coupled with the Fatal Attractions OHC) represents the best of Lobdell & Nicieza, imho...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Yeah, well... it gets worse after that book. A lot worse.

Nicieza is okay, but Lobdell is probably one of the worst X-Men writers I have encountered.

Myself, I'm reading X-Men Fall of The Mutants (the Milestones edition, not the omnibus). After the pretty solid X-Men arch that opens the book, it switches to an absurd New Mutants storyline featuring some animal/human hybrid named "Bird Brain". Yeah. If I hadn't read it myself, I wouldn't believe it. Thank you for that little gem, Louise Simonsen...
    I couldn't stand her New Mutants and skipped a lot of the issues in FotM and Inferno.

Better brace myself then for the suckage that waits me haha

I couldn't stand her New Mutants and skipped a lot of the issues in FotM and Inferno.

Better brace myself then for the suckage that waits me haha
    Yeah, well, it was a double whammy for me - as it turns out that she was the writer on X-Factor at the time as well (which I did not know)... so 2/3 of Fall of The Mutants turned out to be Louise Simonsen. While her X-Factor wasn't as horrible as her New Mutants, it wasn't particularly good, either... and to think this was the basis of Archangel. Her husbands drawings didn't exactly help, either.

Up next for me is Inferno - and you're saying that's basically more of the same? Yikes.

Incredible Member

Yeah, well, it was a double whammy for me - as it turns out that she was the writer on X-Factor at the time as well (which I did not know)... so 2/3 of Fall of The Mutants turned out to be Louise Simonsen. While her X-Factor wasn't as horrible as her New Mutants, it wasn't particularly good, either... and to think this was the basis of Archangel. Her husbands drawings didn't exactly help, either.

Up next for me is Inferno - and you're saying that's basically more of the same? Yikes.
    You could just get the FotM softcover that collects 220-227 and just read that.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    You could just get the FotM softcover that collects 220-227 and just read that.
    What softcover is that? I was planning to just wait for the run to be printed in an Epic Collection. Going to get rid of the Milestone for sure. The same applies to Mutant Massacre (Power Pack and Thor, really??) and, most likely, Inferno as well.

Incredible Member

What softcover is that? I was planning to just wait for the run to be printed in an Epic Collection. Going to get rid of the Milestone for sure. The same applies to Mutant Massacre (Power Pack and Thor, really??) and, most likely, Inferno as well.
    Never mind, this is the one I have and it has NM issues too.
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Fall-Mu...4376355&sr=8-2

I'm for sure not buying the Inferno omni because it's 5 issues of UXM and just a lotta tie ins. I will get the prologue omni though.

Incredible Member

Yes, to me Inferno was ok, no more no less. Her X-Factor I actually didn't mind as much. I was surprised that this was the same writer. People told me that there was some editorial interference with New Mutants to make them younger and more child-like. Maybe that's the main reason. But I actually happen to like Walter Simonson's art so for me X-Factor was ok.
    Last edited by Foxy; 02-27-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Never mind, this is the one I have and it has NM issues too.
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Fall-Mu...4376355&sr=8-2

I'm for sure not buying the Inferno omni because it's 5 issues of UXM and just a lotta tie ins. I will get the prologue omni though.
    I have the original Inferno OHC and I will probably not "upgrade" to the omnibus because it has all the tie ins that were in the Inferno Crossovers OHC. If it were a combination of Inferno Prologue OHC and Inferno OHC I may have considered it. Inferno Prologue is basically reprinted exactly the same with an omnibus label, so I'm not "upgrading" just for another dust jacket

I'm not a big fan of tie-ins anyway but Inferno was not my favourite event and I don't need to any other superheroes duking it out with the demons. Maybe if done right (i.e. with the proper mapping) it might be interesting. I recently read the World War Hulk omnibus in the correct reading order and it was quite enjoyable (but there the tie-ins actually had a connection to the main narrative).

Incredible Member

Five Years v2 by Terry Moore.

I liked v1. Never read Strangers in Paradise but I have read the other series from which these characters are taken from, so I'm quite interested. Afterwards, I'll read Serial issues 1-2.

I do have to ding indie publishers on their branding and marketing skills. Like, if I just saw the name Five Years I wouldn't know it's a crossover event. Same with how Valiant does their events. Like, with Marvel you have blatant "Avengers vs X-Men" so you know who's in it and if you're a fan you'll want to pick it up. Valiant's "the Valiant" series, it's like... I don't know, you can try a little harder to make sure people know about it and make it visible.

Incredible Member

I have the original Inferno OHC and I will probably not "upgrade" to the omnibus because it has all the tie ins that were in the Inferno Crossovers OHC. If it were a combination of Inferno Prologue OHC and Inferno OHC I may have considered it. Inferno Prologue is basically reprinted exactly the same with an omnibus label, so I'm not "upgrading" just for another dust jacket

I'm not a big fan of tie-ins anyway but Inferno was not my favourite event and I don't need to any other superheroes duking it out with the demons. Maybe if done right (i.e. with the proper mapping) it might be interesting. I recently read the World War Hulk omnibus in the correct reading order and it was quite enjoyable (but there the tie-ins actually had a connection to the main narrative).
    I missed out on the original OHCs of prologue and Inferno. So I'm getting the prologue omni and I already have the Inferno milestone. I too don't care for this era of X-Factor and their shenanigans.

I did just pick up the Massacre OHC for just 25% over cover price so that was nice.

All-New Member

I finally finished off Invincible so I’m rereading starting from issue one. IMO the pre-twist issues are the best superhero comics one can read.

I bought the new editions of the New Teen Titans Omnis so I’m rereading that run as well. I’m around issue 16 and it’s not as epic as I remember but is improving issue by issue. My main problem with the early stages of the series is how one dimensional Cyborg and Changling are.

I also finished Morrison’s Batman Omnibus 1, it was a fun reread, a page turner I polished off in a weekend, and I picked up a ton of new things this time through. The beginning is fun and RIP is epic. My lone complaint is the Ra’s crossover story line is super annoying how disjointed it is with the missing issues not included.
    Last edited by Hypno; 02-27-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Yes, to me Inferno was ok, no more no less. Her X-Factor I actually didn't mind as much. I was surprised that this was the same writer. People told me that there was some editorial interference with New Mutants to make them younger and more child-like. Maybe that's the main reason. But I actually happen to like Walter Simonson's art so for me X-Factor was ok.
    You like Walter Simonsen? Well, to each their own, I guess...

It's a shame really, as I like the concept of X-Factor v1 - but neither the writers nor artists throughout the run appeal to me. Especially not the Simonsens and Jon Bogdanove.

Fun trivia info on Louise Simonsen and her flair for characters: she actually wanted to name Cable "Commander X" - but Mr. Pouch Lover himself, Rob Liefeld, insisted on "Cable" (a wise decision, I'd say).

Finally getting around to a reread of IDW's Transformers P1 - I'd forgotten how good it was.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Moonshine v3

Don't know why I'm continuing with this. I don't care for any of the characters and Azzarello's writing style grates more often than not. Will not get v4.
    Last edited by newparisian; 02-28-2021 at 09:48 AM.