Page 160 of 219 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3284
    Incredible Member

4 Kids Walk into a Bank

Freakin' Amazing! I highly recommend this. Very reminiscent of BKV's style of writing. What has Rosenberg been doing since UXM? He deserves to be a lot bigger name. 10/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 02-28-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Incredible Member

Lake of Fire

Reminiscent of Abnett/Culbard's Dark Ages. Medieval Knights vs Aliens. Alright for what it is, everyone is an archetype and you see the plot coming 5 pages before it happens. 5/10

Against Hope

Victor Santos is the spiritual successor of Frank Miller insofar as writing hard boiled actioners about revenge and blood and seedy underbellies. That's not necessarily a good thing as one just gets numb to the brutality and death after a while, no matter how well rendered. 5/10

November v3

Another series I don't know why I'm following. Fraction's doing a good impression of Lapham, but so far it feels disjointed and not adding up to much. Again, dirty low down people doing dirty low down things. And that'd be fine if there was some sunshine to contrast it with. Otherwise, numbness like I said. I'll pick up the 4th and last volume since I've gotten the first three, and cross my fingers for a nice conclusion. The lettering can be a pain to read sometimes. 5/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 02-28-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Finally getting around to a reread of IDW's Transformers P1 - I'd forgotten how good it was.
    Have you read the More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light era of Transformers, with Optimus Prime and Robots in Disguise as companions? I had never cared for Transformers as a property before this.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Have you read the More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light era of Transformers, with Optimus Prime and Robots in Disguise as companions? I had never cared for Transformers as a property before this.
    I can't remember if they are phase 1 or 2, I think MTMtE is phase 2? In which case, unfortunately not
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Goldie Vance v1-4

Decent young adult books. Teen detectives. You've seen these characters before. Nothing new or subversive but fun enough. 6/10

Almost finished with the 3rd X-Men: Road to Onslaught collection.

While there are a handful of good issues throughout these 3 volumes, it really has been a chore to get through.

My stopping point in X-Men had always been AOA. I decided to keep going with my latest read through...and yeah, not really impressed.

Spectacular Member

Started Ms. Marvel OHC Vol 1 (Kamala Kahn -sp?) last night, with Vol. 2 to be right after that.
    I am about 3 issues into the 12 issue collection, and really like it so far.

Grayson superspy omnibus, bit of a drag, shouldn’t be surprised I find most superhero stuff fairly boring lately

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I can't remember if they are phase 1 or 2, I think MTMtE is phase 2? In which case, unfortunately not
    they are indeed Phase 2

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Almost finished with the 3rd X-Men: Road to Onslaught collection.

While there are a handful of good issues throughout these 3 volumes, it really has been a chore to get through.

My stopping point in X-Men had always been AOA. I decided to keep going with my latest read through...and yeah, not really impressed.
    After AoA, it goes downhill for the rest of the X-Men 90's. Steep.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    After AoA, it goes downhill for the rest of the X-Men 90's. Steep.
    False. Lobdell/MAD from UXM 337-350 is gold, Jerry. GOLD!!
    Operation Zero Tolerance leading into Kelly/Seagle is above average (Pacheco art, badass Iceman, Logan vs Marrow), but then the Davis run is fantastic in an "old school but not Claremont old school" kinda way.
    Last edited by newparisian; 03-01-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Grayson superspy omnibus, bit of a drag, shouldn’t be surprised I find most superhero stuff fairly boring lately
    Such a strong run that peters out. I sold my omni specifically because having another team come in to badly resolve the first 75% of the run just left a bad taste in my mouth. Really wish King/Seeley/Janin had finished it

Operation Zero Tolerance leading into Kelly/Seagle is above average (Pacheco art, badass Iceman, Logan vs Marrow), but then the Davis run is fantastic in an "old school but not Claremont old school" kinda way.
    Zero Tolerance was horrible. I can forgive the tired "group of humans build new generation of sentinels to kill mutants" trope simply because it has always been a big part of the X-Men mythos. But the execution of this specific iteration... horrible.

I mean, we have a group which sole purpose is to exterminate all mutants - and they manage to capture (most of them a bit too easily) a string of the very most prominent mutants in the world... only to keep them all captive until they manage to escape. Bastion himself had promise, but ultimately fell short and amounted to nothing.

And none of the new mutants coming out of this era were interesting enough to stick around in a meaningful way: Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Maggot (worst mutant of the entire decade), Joseph (interesting idea, but horrible payoff)...

I'll second the Davis run, that stuff was pretty good. I also liked his work with Claremont a little later, which a lot of X-fans don't seem to look back upon fondly.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    You like Walter Simonsen? Well, to each their own, I guess...

It's a shame really, as I like the concept of X-Factor v1 - but neither the writers nor artists throughout the run appeal to me. Especially not the Simonsens and Jon Bogdanove.

Fun trivia info on Louise Simonsen and her flair for characters: she actually wanted to name Cable "Commander X" - but Mr. Pouch Lover himself, Rob Liefeld, insisted on "Cable" (a wise decision, I'd say).
    Haha Commander X would have been terrible. Glad for once that Liefeld got his way

Actually I like Walter Simonson's art fine. I have more issues with the later JRJR's art (very blocky).