Page 169 of 220 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3296
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I've been doing a Union Jack (Joey Chapman) readathon. Started off with the first appearance in Captain America #253-254 in the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus. Quite enjoyable. Also included in the back of the Omnibus are 6 never-before-published pages by Byrne which also include Union Jack and Spitfire. These would have been part of the never-completed 10th Cap issue by Roger Stern and Byrne. I'd read the two Knights of Pendragon runs previously where we see a souped-up Union Jack with powers from the Pendragon. Also key is Namor, The Sub-Mariner #12 in which, amongst others we see Spitfire regaining her youth due to a further blood transfusion from Jim Hammond. After this I reread the Union Jack (1998) TPB by Ben Raab & John Cassaday which is pretty good. I also read Avengers (1998) #82-84 which leads into the short-lived New Invaders (2004) run by Allan Jacobsen, C.P. Smith and Chris Walker which was absolutely terrible in all areas - dialogue, art and colours. Just awful stuff, no wonder the series got canned. The art reminded me of those photo stories in my sister's teen mags from my childhood.

Next I read Captain America (2005) #3 and currently enjoying reading #18-21 from the Captain America by Brubaker, Epting & Perkins Omnibus. Coming up will be the Union Jack (2006) mini-series by Christos Cage and Mike Perkins.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I've been doing a Union Jack (Joey Chapman) readathon. Started off with the first appearance in Captain America #253-254 in the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus. Quite enjoyable. Also included in the back of the Omnibus are 6 never-before-published pages by Byrne which also include Union Jack and Spitfire. These would have been part of the never-completed 10th Cap issue by Roger Stern and Byrne. I'd read the two Knights of Pendragon runs previously where we see a souped-up Union Jack with powers from the Pendragon. Also key is Namor, The Sub-Mariner #12 in which, amongst others we see Spitfire regaining her youth due to a further blood transfusion from Jim Hammond. After this I reread the Union Jack (1998) TPB by Ben Raab & John Cassaday which is pretty good. I also read Avengers (1998) #82-84 which leads into the short-lived New Invaders (2004) run by Allan Jacobsen, C.P. Smith and Chris Walker which was absolutely terrible in all areas - dialogue, art and colours. Just awful stuff, no wonder the series got canned. The art reminded me of those photo stories in my sister's teen mags from my childhood.

Next I read Captain America (2005) #3 and currently enjoying reading #18-21 from the Captain America by Brubaker, Epting & Perkins Omnibus. Coming up will be the Union Jack (2006) mini-series by Christos Cage and Mike Perkins.
    I remember that Raab mini. That was solid.
    Was UJ featured in Cap Britain and MI:13 much?

Are you reading the current Union mini? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I remember that Raab mini. That was solid.
    Was UJ featured in Cap Britain and MI:13 much?

Are you reading the current Union mini? Thoughts?
    Yes, I agree, the Raab/Cassaday mini is solid. UJ appeared briefly in 2 or 3 issues of CB and MI 13, he wasn't one of the major players.

I haven't read The Union yet. I've heard it's pretty good and plan on picking it up at some point.

Incredible Member

Jimmy's Bastards v1-2- one of those Garth Ennis having fun series. I liked it (and I usually don't).

The Fall v1- great book with a lot of pandemic parallels. Excellent artwork. The book does the typical dystopian thing where people form societies and have to do bad things in order to survive. From that lens, the characters are predictable too, with the whole "are we living or just surviving?" and "if we do THAT then how are we any better than monsters" etc. But like I said, excellent artwork and the story is a good 7 outta 10.
    Last edited by newparisian; 05-19-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    the character pretty much fizzles out in the end.
    Finished it last night and you're totally right, completely anticlimactic ending and I'm still none the wiser regarding the bad guy's origins, motives etc. If there's no additional info provided later on, Bastion may be in the running for most useless villain ever. "It's over Bastion!" - "OK, I give up"...

After Daredevil by Miller omnibus and companion, now Marvel Knights omnibus.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I've enjoyed those Miller DD omnis a lot!

How did you like those Miller Omnibuses? Miller's initial run is my favourite Daredevil run.

Incredible Member

Do you have the Quesada omni that collects the pre-Bendis and Father mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I've enjoyed those Miller DD omnis a lot!
    How did you like those Miller Omnibuses? Miller's initial run is my favourite Daredevil run.
    Has a series ever had three incredibly strong runs in a row like Smith/Mack, Bendis, Brubaker?? Love that era!!
    Last edited by newparisian; 05-20-2021 at 04:58 AM.

Incredible Member

Real Science Adventures- the Nicodemus Job - an olden era Ocean's 11 with awesome art!! Definitely needs a sequel. 9 outta 10.

I loved them. Can't say anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Do you have the Quesada omni that collects the pre-Bendis and Father mini?
    Yes. And liking this one also

Incredible Member

Planetary omnibus- read this series a million times. Still amazing! 11 out of 10.

Incredible Member

Asadora v2- usually I love Urasawa. His 20th Century Boys is awesome!! Two volumes in, though, this series isn't really clicking with me. Like I can see the kaiju aspect and how Asadora will probably get involved as a pilot and there will probably be govt cover-up shenanigans. And the delivering rice after the storm part was great. But overall, it's still not grabbing me. Given Urasawa's record, I MAY end up buying the 3rd volume as a last chance. But maybe not. 6 out of 10.

I'm know reading Daredevil by Bendis omnibus 1.