Page 174 of 220 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3287
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I recently finished reading the New Excalibur run from 2006-2007 and I found it a pretty good read with quite a good depiction of Brian Braddock overall considering how badly he's been portrayed by US writers in general. It was good to see him back as "the" Captain Britain following the previous decision to have Kelsey Leigh take on the mantle of CB in the Avengers as Brian was ruler of Otherworld. Saying that, I do have several qualms with the run which I've detailed below.

It was strange to see a villain appear with the name Albion which is the same superhero name as the one which Peter Hunter has (had?) from the Knights of Pendragon. This was a wee confusing at first.

Kelsey Leigh suddenly had the superhero name of Lionheart, no longer was she "Captain Britain". No mention of when this changed, although I was happy to have Brian back as CB.

Also Kelsey's motivations were not that convincing, I was surprised at how she initially wasn't bothered at hurting others. I can see the hurt and frustration at "losing" her kids, but to allow others to die with no assurance that would bring her kids back was strange

The sudden appearance of Sage and Courtney Ross and the similar disappearance of the latter. Sage appeared out of no where with no real explanation.

Dazzler continuously coming back from the dead wasn't explained or did I miss something or was it explained elsewhere?

It seemed pretty off that their adversaries Shadow X were such a formidable force at first and then they were all killed off when fighting alongside New Excalibur against Albion and his forces, whereas none of New Excalibur died.

Sage infiltrating Albion's forces was extremely glossed over and suddenly we have her fighting alongside Albion. If you blinked, you missed it.

And probably the biggest problem was having Kelsey Leigh tell her kids who she was with no consequences at all. She wasn't able to do this as she would lose them (as originally put forward in Chuck Austen's Avengers run). How was this "upturned"!

Saying all this, I though it enjoyable and not a bad run. The art was pretty good all round. I probably most enjoyed the Frank Tieri written issues as opposed to the Chris Claremont ones.

Reading a quick one that I bought for only 2 GBP - Blood Bowl More Guts More Glory from Titan Comics. I have always been interested in Blood Bowl (the tabletop game), the TPB itself collects 4 comic books and it’s light and silly as expected but the art is actually pretty good
    Last edited by hyped78; 06-20-2021 at 03:09 AM.

Seven soldiers omnibus

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Roger Stern's Spider-Man Omnibus. Loving it so far.

Incredible Member

Keith Giffen’s SUICIDE SQUAD tpb
    Last edited by bretmaverick2; 07-03-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Incredible Member

X-Men vs Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus - around two-thirds through. The "Twelve" have been mentioned so many times and since so long ago that it had to be something significant but let's see if it ends up being as significant. Feels like I'm nearing the final battle now but not sure - just hope it doesn't go out on a whimper like Operation Zero Tolerance.

Heartstopper vol 4: more romance between two high school boys but this volume deals a lot with mental health issues and I feel like it does it really well. Also like that we see more and more of the side characters. Can't wait for more.

Fun home (Alison Bechdel)
    My lesbian experience with loneliness (Nagata Kabi)

An American graphic novel and a manga, both dealing with mental health issues and being a lesbian. Fun home focuses more on Bechdel's relationship with her family, especially her dad, while Kabi's book is more introspective and therapeutic .
    Both books are sometimes uncomfortably honest and I would highly recommend them. Also already ordered the sequels to MLEWL and really curious where they will go.

Boys run the riot v1: manga about a trans boy and a "delinquent" kid becoming friends and starting a street fashion brand. Really good so far!

The witch boy/The Hidden witch/The midwinter witch: Molly Knox Ostertag's witch boy trilogy, aimed and middle grade readers but I've really enjoyed them as well. Can't wait to get her new GN, The girl from the sea.
    It's about a boy who supposed to be a shapeshifter, like every other men in their world of magic, but he wants to be a witch, which is only for women.
    Fun story, likeable characters, heartwarming and the story flows really well. If she ever decides to do more of these I'd definitely get them.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just reread the original Squadron Supreme by Mark Gryenwald. Did this book invent Bullet Time? I am also impress by its discussion if Wonder Woman! The book looks great and it is beautifully executed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    The witch boy/The Hidden witch/The midwinter witch: Molly Knox Ostertag's witch boy trilogy, aimed and middle grade readers but I've really enjoyed them as well. Can't wait to get her new GN, The girl from the sea.
    It's about a boy who supposed to be a shapeshifter, like every other men in their world of magic, but he wants to be a witch, which is only for women.
    Fun story, likeable characters, heartwarming and the story flows really well. If she ever decides to do more of these I'd definitely get them.
    I've read these; pretty good.

Have you read the Nameless City trilogy by Faith Hicks?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    X-Men vs Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus - around two-thirds through. The "Twelve" have been mentioned so many times and since so long ago that it had to be something significant but let's see if it ends up being as significant. Feels like I'm nearing the final battle now but not sure - just hope it doesn't go out on a whimper like Operation Zero Tolerance.
    I loved the Twelve and Davis' run in general. I'd never read the original seeds of there being twelve powerful mutants being laid, so I'd never had expectations as such. If nothing else, this put Cyclops on a fantastic path that Morrison then picked up on and was carried over well into the Bru/Fraction/Gillen era.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just reread the original Squadron Supreme by Mark Gryenwald. Did this book invent Bullet Time? I am also impress by its discussion if Wonder Woman! The book looks great and it is beautifully executed.
    read it a few years ago and really felt like it was ahead of its time in many regards. I think maybe it could have been more successful if it didn't use pre established characters...maybe. Cause it's definitely doing a similar thing to Watchmen but roughly a year earlier, it just never really got the same recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I've read these; pretty good.

Have you read the Nameless City trilogy by Faith Hicks?
    Nope but seen them around before. Do you think I would like them if I liked the Witch boy books? I enjoyed Hick's art and visual storytelling in Pumpkinheads and Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

read it a few years ago and really felt like it was ahead of its time in many regards. I think maybe it could have been more successful if it didn't use pre established characters...maybe. Cause it's definitely doing a similar thing to Watchman but roughly a year earlier, it just never really got the same recognition.
    Yikes so many typos in my post. Mark Gruenwald was ahead of his time. He really looks at the emotional and real world physics of Superheroes in our universe. I hate to say it, but the States feel like the Squadron Supremes USA. Much more than the Boys and Invincible. It could be subtitled, “Whatever Happened to the Team of Tomorrow?”

Fun home (Alison Bechdel)
    My lesbian experience with loneliness (Nagata Kabi)

An American graphic novel and a manga, both dealing with mental health issues and being a lesbian. Fun home focuses more on Bechdel's relationship with her family, especially her dad, while Kabi's book is more introspective and therapeutic .
    Both books are sometimes uncomfortably honest and I would highly recommend them. Also already ordered the sequels to MLEWL and really curious where they will go.

Boys run the riot v1: manga about a trans boy and a "delinquent" kid becoming friends and starting a street fashion brand. Really good so far!
    [/QUOTE]

We were chatting about MEWL in a Near Mint Condition stream. Pretty good reviews all around
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Nope but seen them around before. Do you think I would like them if I liked the Witch boy books? I enjoyed Hick's art and visual storytelling in Pumpkinheads and Nothing can possibly go wrong.
    I enjoyed the Nameless City series. Give the first volume a shot.
    It's a teens band together to stop the adults from warring and let's put aside our differences type thing that you see in young adult books. But I thought it was well done.