Page 177 of 218 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3266
    Incredible Member

Shang-Chi: the Hellfire Apocalypse- don't know why this was in the MAX imprint, there wasn't any need for an 'R' rating. Anyway, this is the first solo Shang book I've read. I do have the first Moench omnibus but haven't read it yet. This mini was pretty good. Solid mix of espionage, mysticism, and kung-fu. 9/10.

Sex Criminals OHC v3- Great conclusion to a great book. I think the bad guy plot ended up being a bit whack, but this book was always more about the character relationships anyway. And on that front, it succeeds. 10/10.

Britannia HC- not Valiant's usual oeuvre, and I've never really warmed to Milligan as a writer. Didn't finish Shade and just didn't like his Hellblazer. But despite a somewhat rough first mini, the next two minis collected here are good, if not great. Roman Detective in the time of Nero, with some supernatural stuff thrown in. Ryp's art reminded me of Gary Frank's 'crazy eyes' characters, only more so. 7/10.

Spider-Man: Spirits of the Earth- fantastic art, decent story. Spidey & MJ in Scotland. 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Shang-Chi: the Hellfire Apocalypse- don't know why this was in the MAX imprint, there wasn't any need for an 'R' rating. Anyway, this is the first solo Shang book I've read. I do have the first Moench omnibus but haven't read it yet. This mini was pretty good. Solid mix of espionage, mysticism, and kung-fu. 9/10.

Sex Criminals OHC v3- Great conclusion to a great book. I think the bad guy plot ended up being a bit whack, but this book was always more about the character relationships anyway. And on that front, it succeeds. 10/10.

Britannia HC- not Valiant's usual oeuvre, and I've never really warmed to Milligan as a writer. Didn't finish Shade and just didn't like his Hellblazer. But despite a somewhat rough first mini, the next two minis collected here are good, if not great. Roman Detective in the time of Nero, with some supernatural stuff thrown in. Ryp's art reminded me of Gary Frank's 'crazy eyes' characters, only more so. 7/10.

Spider-Man: Spirits of the Earth- fantastic art, decent story. Spidey & MJ in Scotland. 7/10.
    Just finished Sex Criminals vol 3 a couple days ago as well and definitely agree.

Incredible Member

As part of my mostly chronological read-through of my DC collected editions, I'm currently reading what is often referred to as DC's version of Claremont's X-Men, aka Wolfman/Perez' New Teen Titans. Read Omnibus 1 last year and was pleasantly surprised, now almost done with Omnibus 2. Only a couple of issues left but I can see why it was a popular run. The plotting is evolved further from the first omnibus and Perez'. art, even if sometimes finished by others is still great. Am about to reach the Judas Contract, apparently that's a much praised story. EDIT: I think the Judas Contract is actually in the third omnibus.
    Last edited by Foxy; 08-18-2021 at 01:02 AM.

I kept on with Lobezna (All New Wolverine). I just started volume 2

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

Scales and Scoundrels OGN v1-2- I hadn't realized that after leaving Image, the book went to TKO for another several issues worth of an OGN. Randomly saw it on Amazon. Anyway, I'd really liked the Image series and was disappointed when the book had seemingly disappeared. The new volume opens well but the desert arc (which takes up a huge chunk) was a slog to get through. It didn't really move the needle on the protagonist's arc and instead felt like an elongated side quest. So I'd give the first Image OGN (issues 1-10) a solid 9/10, but the TKO volume a 5/10.

Hellblazer v13- this is the Ellis written thick TPB. The Haunted arc, though needlessly brutal, is still good. The remaining one-offs like Shoot are forgettable. This was a re-read after 10 ish years, but I don't think I'll be coming back. 5/10.

Grandville- Force Majeure- I'd only ever read one of the other OGNs and this is meant to be a conclusion to the series, though still standalone. I found it over-written (like Snyder/Kirkman/Claremont), and I'm not opposed to reading but it's not really helping the story for the characters to take 5 speech bubbles what can be described (still stylishly so) in one. Anyway, the story was done well and amusing. Talbot's art is alright; not eye-popping but it gets the job done. 6/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 08-18-2021 at 06:59 AM.

I was eyeing Scales and scoundrels (possibly as a book shop pick up, if I ever encounter it in the wild).
    does the first ogn end in a satisfying way or do I need to commit to both volumes?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I was eyeing Scales and scoundrels (possibly as a book shop pick up, if I ever encounter it in the wild).
    does the first ogn end in a satisfying way or do I need to commit to both volumes?
    The first definitive edition OGN ends at the end of an arc, so it's like fine. But the overarching story is in no way resolved, though it isn't by the end of OGN 2 either. I do not know if more issues are being worked on. Definitely a lingerer.

The first definitive edition OGN ends at the end of an arc, so it's like fine. But the overarching story is in no way resolved, though it isn't by the end of OGN 2 either. I do not know if more issues are being worked on. Definitely a lingerer.
    thanks, that makes me reconsider. Although if I bump into the first one in a shop I might still pick it up if I can't find other things (cause I like to support my local shops).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    thanks, that makes me reconsider. Although if I bump into the first one in a shop I might still pick it up if I can't find other things (cause I like to support my local shops).
    The first OGN is a nice YA romp though still, with super nice art.

Incredible Member

After reading through every issue of X-Men and Uncanny X-Men starting with Giant Size #1, through the entire Claremont run, all of the 90s and early 00s, I just started the New X-Men Omnibus by Grant Morrison - 3 issues in and holy cow what a difference in writing to what came before. Frank Quitely's art is as, uh, interesting as it was in the Authority... But man, the writing is so different and fresh. Guess it's also the lack of narrative boxes and hand-holding that contributes to the different feel.

Can't wait to read more after work today.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    After reading through every issue of X-Men and Uncanny X-Men starting with Giant Size #1, through the entire Claremont run, all of the 90s and early 00s, I just started the New X-Men Omnibus by Grant Morrison - 3 issues in and holy cow what a difference in writing to what came before. Frank Quitely's art is as, uh, interesting as it was in the Authority... But man, the writing is so different and fresh. Guess it's also the lack of narrative boxes and hand-holding that contributes to the different feel.

I have most all of Uncanny & X-men in omni/OHC/milestone/complete collections, but man, to do a full re-read of that is daunting as hell. Are you exclusively reading X-men these days? not keeping up with new comics (X-men or otherwise)?

The Morrison run was indeed a breath of fresh air. His runs (Animal Man, NXM, Invisibles, etc.) would be so much better if they had consistent artists, though they're classics regardless. This run is also where the more militant Cyclops started and it's awesome!

Incredible Member

I have most all of Uncanny & X-men in omni/OHC/milestone/complete collections, but man, to do a full re-read of that is daunting as hell. Are you exclusively reading X-men these days? not keeping up with new comics (X-men or otherwise)?

The Morrison run was indeed a breath of fresh air. His runs (Animal Man, NXM, Invisibles, etc.) would be so much better if they had consistent artists, though they're classics regardless. This run is also where the more militant Cyclops started and it's awesome!
    Well I had read everything XM/UXM that is in collected editions (omnis, OHC and TPBs) until the first X-Force omnibus in a relatively spread-out manner over several years. I usually do not read one title exclusively but switch between DC/Marvel/others and also between older and newer material to keep it interesting. Sometimes I do a bigger read-through, such as all of Aaron's Thor, or Hellboy etc.

But last year I started with the X-Force Omnibus and then just continued. I did take some breaks, e.g. to finish off the Hellboy/BPRD stories when the Devil You Know omnibus came out. And I also read some other books but I kept the breaks between the X-Books shorter. The advantage is that I remember what happened before better, but the disadvantage is that it all kind of blurs together. Morrison appears to be self-contained, so I'm not sure whether I will continue reading Astonishing and everything after that as I also have other stuff on the shelf I want to dive into. I had a complete modern Valiant read-through planned but that also seems daunting haha

By the way I don't read new comics as they come out. I prefer to wait for collected editions.

Well I had read everything XM/UXM that is in collected editions (omnis, OHC and TPBs) until the first X-Force omnibus in a relatively spread-out manner over several years. I usually do not read one title exclusively but switch between DC/Marvel/others and also between older and newer material to keep it interesting. Sometimes I do a bigger read-through, such as all of Aaron's Thor, or Hellboy etc.

But last year I started with the X-Force Omnibus and then just continued. I did take some breaks, e.g. to finish off the Hellboy/BPRD stories when the Devil You Know omnibus came out. And I also read some other books but I kept the breaks between the X-Books shorter. The advantage is that I remember what happened before better, but the disadvantage is that it all kind of blurs together. Morrison appears to be self-contained, so I'm not sure whether I will continue reading Astonishing and everything after that as I also have other stuff on the shelf I want to dive into. I had a complete modern Valiant read-through planned but that also seems daunting haha

By the way I don't read new comics as they come out. I prefer to wait for collected editions.

Morrison's run was a mixed bag. Some of it was great, while some of it was mildly disappointing. Overall, though, the high points are far greater than anything that came before in the X-Men comics.

As for Astonishing, I do suggest you read Whedon's run (Especially if you have the omnibus). It's a solid addendum to Morrison's run.....The only other X-Men run I'd suggest is Hickman's. House of X/Powers of X is the best X-Men storyline I've read, IMO. His run on the actual X-Men title had its highs & lows. I'd only really suggest the third tpb out of that section. Then there's X of Swords, wherein Hickman's portion of that storyline was great, but the majority of the other issues in that cross-over was crap. I did like the Hellions portion, though (Zeb Wells's work on that title is hilariously entertaining, albeit a stark contrast to Hickman's work).

I've heard good things about Mike Carey's run on X-Men, and have a couple hardcover collections of said run, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm a bit behind on my reading.

Most of the other X-related stuff I find to be vastly overrated. The X-books have a certain fanbase for a reason, it hits a certain demographic and it's kind of a cult following.....The only other X-books I remember liking are Alan Davis's overall run on Excalibur (Only the issues he did artwork on), Seeley's Shatterstar limited series wasn't bad, and Hellions (Zeb Wells), as I mentioned above, is thoroughly entertaining.

Morrison's style and tone was really refreshing after many years' worth of lackluster X-Men, but some of his story arcs and choices were outright terrible. But you'll see, once you get further in...

Still on Lobezna. I've enjoyed the series so far, I just wish the art teams didn't constantly change. The series started with a bang visually. Tom Taylor is still on fire though
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH