Page 178 of 220 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 3288

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    After reading through every issue of X-Men and Uncanny X-Men starting with Giant Size #1, through the entire Claremont run, all of the 90s and early 00s, I just started the New X-Men Omnibus by Grant Morrison - 3 issues in and holy cow what a difference in writing to what came before. Frank Quitely's art is as, uh, interesting as it was in the Authority... But man, the writing is so different and fresh. Guess it's also the lack of narrative boxes and hand-holding that contributes to the different feel.

Can't wait to read more after work today.
    Morrison's New Xmen is still my all time favorite run in comics. I quit comics in the 90s for nearly a decade when something made me go to a comic shop and pick up a New Xmen issue in 2002 or so. As you said - it was so new, original, and fresh - my love for comics was rekindled from that run. And the possibilities of the medium were blown wide open.
    20 years later and I now have a bookshelf filled library room of graphics novels - and its all because of that Morrison NXM run.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Aquaman: The Death Of A Prince

This one I liked almost as much as the first volume. Even with different inkers, having only one penciller for an arc helped the series. I also had a lot of fun seeing the Brood and the whole Laura-Gabby and Deadpool-Gabby dynamics. I can't wait to have my hands on Orphans of X
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Fantastic Four by Waid omnibus

Just finished Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 9, completing my read through of all the pre-IDW Usagi stories. I am now reading the second volume of the Baltimore Omnibus (I don't have vol. 1 but have the 4 trades that make it up and read those).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Just finished Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 9, completing my read through of all the pre-IDW Usagi stories. I am now reading the second volume of the Baltimore Omnibus (I don't have vol. 1 but have the 4 trades that make it up and read those).

-M
    For some reason, my comic shop hasn't been able to get me Volume 9 yet. Don't know what the issue is but I'm looking forward to it if it ever gets here.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    For some reason, my comic shop hasn't been able to get me Volume 9 yet. Don't know what the issue is but I'm looking forward to it if it ever gets here.
    Luckily for me I picked it up at Laughing Ogre (an Eisner nominated retailer) last time I was over in Columbus, but my local shop got it in recently as well.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss Whedon - absolute page turner. Started yesterday afternoon and by the evening news I was already halfway through. So far I would rate it on par with Morrison's run as to story quality, but I think Whedon may be better at dialogue / banter and of course the consistently good art by Cassaday helps.

Actually I read up to issue 12 and I think now it's time for House of M.

Thor and the Eternals: The Celestials Saga
    51ep0htWFdL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    I missed these issues the first time around.
    Good stuff.

I had a complete modern Valiant read-through planned but that also seems daunting haha

By the way I don't read new comics as they come out. I prefer to wait for collected editions.

I forgot to respond to this part of your post......Which Valiant books were you planning to check out as far as the modern Valiant read-through goes? Some of the titles were good in certain sections, then went downhill. I can give suggestions, if you want.

That said, if you literally purchased every modern Valiant title in preparation to read the entire line, my condolences.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I forgot to respond to this part of your post......Which Valiant books were you planning to check out as far as the modern Valiant read-through goes? Some of the titles were good in certain sections, then went downhill. I can give suggestions, if you want.

That said, if you literally purchased every modern Valiant title in preparation to read the entire line, my condolences.

Haha thanks for your empathy I have not purchased every single title but I do have a lot, including X-O Manowar (Venditti and Kindt), Bloodshot / Bloodshot Reborn, Rai, Harbinger, Unity, Britannia etc.

I do not have any Archer & Armstrong and some other titles. I have read some books already and liked them but I wanted to have the integrated reading experience. I will report back in the thread where everybody posts what they read and rates it

Incredible Member

Started on another run I had been waiting for years to finally read: Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Volume 1.

Only read 1 issue late last night and it's a good thing that Alan Moor ties up the old plot because I really don't remember how the previous run ended (read teh Bronze Age omnibus last year). Not sure I like the recolouring but it's only 1 issue so far. The art itself is great, especially the way the pages are "framed".

Astonishing Member

Started on another run I had been waiting for years to finally read: Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Volume 1.

Only read 1 issue late last night and it's a good thing that Alan Moor ties up the old plot because I really don't remember how the previous run ended (read teh Bronze Age omnibus last year). Not sure I like the recolouring but it's only 1 issue so far. The art itself is great, especially the way the pages are "framed".
    I read it awhile ago and thought it was exhausting and boring to read. One of the few books from Alan Moore that I don't like and don't understand the fuzz about.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Fantastic Four by Waid omnibus
    Reading the same now, just finished the Doom stories and loving it. Wieringo's art is wonderful also. Also just finished Brubaker's Marvels Project which was amazing. Love WWII Cap stories done in a modern style and would appreciate any suggestions for similar.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Just picked up the trades for PAD's recent Maestro mini's; might re-read Future Imperfect first as a refresher.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES