Page 181 of 220 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 3287
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Currently I am reading TMNT IDW collection volume 3.

I cannot believe how good this series is, and I am so happy that IDW is releasing these amazing collections
    It even beats the original run. And it stays that good up until today.

All-New Member

PERRAMUS by Brecia and Sasturian. Great piece of work. Highly recommended to anyone interested in more artistic comics.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    It even beats the original run. And it stays that good up until today.
    Honestly I am flabbergasted at how good it is.

I may have shrugged it off because I was thinking of the TMNT cartoons from when I was a kid, but hot damn is this stellar writing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I just picked up the rest of this series in trades. I plan on reading the original Lein run and making my way up to the end of Moore's run.
    I also read the Bronze Age omnibus before Moore’s run and enjoyed it much more than expected. But Moore’s run is a different level.

Incredible Member

I may have shrugged it off because I was thinking of the TMNT cartoons from when I was a kid, but hot damn is this stellar writing.
    I've been eyeing some of these 90s properties that I've always written off as not-for-me, including TMNT, Power Rangers, etc. Are these TMNT comics good? How old are the collections you're reading? Are they like good for their time, like Lobdell in the 90s, or like actually good? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Anyone reading the Power Rangers comics? Are the current dual ongoing series a good jumping on point?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I also read the Bronze Age omnibus before Moore’s run and enjoyed it much more than expected. But Moore’s run is a different level.
    I started the first volume yesterday (I have the Bronze Age trade in 3 volumes), it's pretty good so far. The art is great, honestly one of the high points of the series).
    I'm going to try and read an issue a day or something, I have a lot of other comics on my burner as well so it helps to get myself back into a comic reading groove.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I've been eyeing some of these 90s properties that I've always written off as not-for-me, including TMNT, Power Rangers, etc. Are these TMNT comics good? How old are the collections you're reading? Are they like good for their time, like Lobdell in the 90s, or like actually good? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Anyone reading the Power Rangers comics? Are the current dual ongoing series a good jumping on point?
    So this particular series is a complete reboot of the TMNT franchise that started around the 2010's and it is really good.

It is not related to the 90's stuff at all, this is basically the Ultimate Marvel Universe of TMNT.

Ideas and characters have been redone to fit the modern world.

I don't wanna say too much because it will spoil it, but trust me when I say it was pretty surprising that's why I am hooked on it.

The collections that I am reading are the IDW collection that puts the entire run into proper reading order with all of the miniseries and one shots and its a great way to read them.

There are a total of 13 volumes that collect the entire series by Eastman and Waltz, after the 13th volume the series was taken over by another writer.

I haven't read any of the Power Rangers but I have heard good things maybe someone else can speak on it.

Hope this helps

Incredible Member

So this particular series is a complete reboot of the TMNT franchise that started around the 2010's and it is really good.

It is not related to the 90's stuff at all, this is basically the Ultimate Marvel Universe of TMNT.

Ideas and characters have been redone to fit the modern world.

I don't wanna say too much because it will spoil it, but trust me when I say it was pretty surprising that's why I am hooked on it.

The collections that I am reading are the IDW collection that puts the entire run into proper reading order with all of the miniseries and one shots and its a great way to read them.

There are a total of 13 volumes that collect the entire series by Eastman and Waltz, after the 13th volume the series was taken over by another writer.

I haven't read any of the Power Rangers but I have heard good things maybe someone else can speak on it.

Hope this helps
    SOLD!

Thanks!

Mighty Member

As I'm reading Swamp Thing Bronze age Vol 1, I'm also planning on going back to Amazing Spider-Man epic vol 5 in anticipation for volume 6 next month (it's been a while since I read it last, luckily it doesn't seem I'm forgetting all that much).
    Also got the Incal on the back burner, I should get back to that soon.

While not reading in collected editions, I have been going through all of Ultimate Spider-Man for the last few months (I'm very slowly getting to the end). Got the second Venom saga and Ultimatum coming up, so I'm reading Ultimate Origins to prepare (I also realise there's a kind of follow up to that story in the second USM volume).

Haha thanks for your empathy I have not purchased every single title but I do have a lot, including X-O Manowar (Venditti and Kindt), Bloodshot / Bloodshot Reborn, Rai, Harbinger, Unity, Britannia etc.

I do not have any Archer & Armstrong and some other titles. I have read some books already and liked them but I wanted to have the integrated reading experience. I will report back in the thread where everybody posts what they read and rates it

Here are my suggestions......But, to start off, I'll say the VEI reboot of Valiant began with a lot of potential, but it never really reached the heights it should have. Regardless, some of the titles are still well worth a read.

X-O Manowar was pretty good for the first two trades (issues 1-8). The X-O origin story is pretty strong (albeit pretty much a direct remake of the original 90s comic), and Ninjak's intro is pretty badass....After that, it kind of goes downhill and just feels weak, until you get to Armor Hunters. That was surprisingly not bad (Not great, but not bad). It's a worthwhile storyline to check out, but I'd only suggest the X-O & main Armor Hunters issues. All the tie-ins were mediocre, at best......As for Kindt's run/relaunch, I tried the first few issues and couldn't get into it at all. I thought it was crap.

Swierczynski's Bloodshot run was decent, and is required reading to get into Harbinger Wars, which is one of the primary highlights of the VEI reboot.....After that, it becomes Bloodshot & HARDCorps, by Christos Gage & Joshua Dysart. The first Bloodshot & HC arc/trade is pretty good, and is an integral follow-up to Harbinger Wars. The second arc I didn't like at all, then there was a cross-over with Archer & Armstrong which was downright horrible. I gave up on the title after that.........I never read Bloodshot Reborn. I think I might've tried a single issue out and wasn't interested, so, either way, I can't comment on it. It seemed to be more popular than Swierczynski's run, in terms of sales.

Rai is OK. It starts off with an interesting premise and lots of potential, but kind of feels like it flounders with what turns out to be a somewhat pedestrian storyline. The artwork is great, though, and I'd say the title is still worth reading. I'm talking the Kindt/Crain run, and this includes the 4001AD event.......The relaunch, I remember being crap. I'd say that about almost all the Valiant titles, though. Once you go toward the ownership change (When Dinesh Shamdasani was booted out like he was in a cheap TV show storyline), almost all the titles sucked.

Harbinger is worth reading the entire way through, although issues 5-8 or so, when the new allies appear, are kind of annoying to read. I think it's intentional, as teens can come across as annoying to adults. Dysart made the comic realistic in that aspect. Then there was a 2-issue or so dream sequence after Harbinger Wars which was crappy, but then it gets good again......I definitely recommend Imperium, which is the follow-up to Harbinger, and The Life and Death of Toyo Harada, which is essentially the conclusion to the entire Dysart run and is pretty damn good. Only problem with Imperium is the final 3-4 issues are real weak (Almost feel phoned in), but Life and Death of Toyo Harada more than makes up for that.....Of course, Harbinger Wars is fantastic. Harbinger Wars 2, which occurs around the time of the change in ownership of the comic company, is pretty crappy. I'd avoid that, as well as the Harbinger relaunch (Harbinger Renegade by Rafer Roberts).

I didn't like Unity at all, pretty much saw it as wasted potential. It was supposed to be the Justice League of Valiant, but it was crap.

Britannia I never read, so I can't comment on it.

I do suggest these titles:

Archer & Armstrong by Fred Van Lente. I'd suggest the first two story-arcs, which are pretty good. Also the third, as it includes A&A #0, which is kind of integral to the series. After that, it goes downhill (Especially the Bloodshot crossover, which I wish I could delete from my memory banks). The final arc, "American Wasteland" (vol 6), is worth reading, just to see what happens in the conclusion of the series, but it's not as good as the first two-three arcs ......And avoid the relaunch by Rafer Roberts, it's horrible......There were two A&A one-shots by Van Lente, Immortal Brothers: The Tale of the Green Knight and Armstrong and the Vault of Spirits, but you might have to just get the single issues as I think the only collected book these two issues were in was the deluxe hardcover that consisted of the Rafer Roberts relaunch.

Ivar, Timewalker by Fred Van Lente....This is meant to be read after Van Lente's A&A title, and is one of the best comics in the entire VEI reboot. It has a strong Doctor Who vibe to it.

Divinity, the first two arcs are just OK, but the third and final arc, Stalinverse, is pretty good and more than makes up for it.

War Mother is a pretty good limited series by Van Lente. It was a tie-in to 4001AD.

Stay away from Dead Drop, Book of Death, The Valiant, the Ninjak titles, the Faith titles, Livewire, Shadowman, etc....They're all crap. The very first arc of Shadowman (Birth Rites), by Justin Jordan & Patrick Zircher, is OK, but isn't as good as it should've been. I remember Shadowman #5 & #0 (Justin Jordan run) both being pretty good issues, but they're part of other trades wherein the rest of the issues are mediocre, to say the least. If you can get those two single issues, I'd suggest them.

Those are my opinions on Valiant (Not counting the original 90s version of the company run by Jim Shooter). Hopefully that'll help if you decide to try any further titles out.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Isn’t VEI as good as dead now? read somewhere they don’t really have much interest in the comic book side, I got about the first 30 deluxe editions that came and I really enjoyed most of them, then for some reason I stopped enjoying them and I sold them all off (at a good price too)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Here are my suggestions......But, to start off, I'll say the VEI reboot of Valiant began with a lot of potential, but it never really reached the heights it should have. Regardless, some of the titles are still well worth a read.

X-O Manowar was pretty good for the first two trades (issues 1-8). The X-O origin story is pretty strong (albeit pretty much a direct remake of the original 90s comic), and Ninjak's intro is pretty badass....After that, it kind of goes downhill and just feels weak, until you get to Armor Hunters. That was surprisingly not bad (Not great, but not bad). It's a worthwhile storyline to check out, but I'd only suggest the X-O & main Armor Hunters issues. All the tie-ins were mediocre, at best......As for Kindt's run/relaunch, I tried the first few issues and couldn't get into it at all. I thought it was crap.

Swierczynski's Bloodshot run was decent, and is required reading to get into Harbinger Wars, which is one of the primary highlights of the VEI reboot.....After that, it becomes Bloodshot & HARDCorps, by Christos Gage & Joshua Dysart. The first Bloodshot & HC arc/trade is pretty good, and is an integral follow-up to Harbinger Wars. The second arc I didn't like at all, then there was a cross-over with Archer & Armstrong which was downright horrible. I gave up on the title after that.........I never read Bloodshot Reborn. I think I might've tried a single issue out and wasn't interested, so, either way, I can't comment on it. It seemed to be more popular than Swierczynski's run, in terms of sales.

Rai is OK. It starts off with an interesting premise and lots of potential, but kind of feels like it flounders with what turns out to be a somewhat pedestrian storyline. The artwork is great, though, and I'd say the title is still worth reading. I'm talking the Kindt/Crain run, and this includes the 4001AD event.......The relaunch, I remember being crap. I'd say that about almost all the Valiant titles, though. Once you go toward the ownership change (When Dinesh Shamdasani was booted out like he was in a cheap TV show storyline), almost all the titles sucked.

Harbinger is worth reading the entire way through, although issues 5-8 or so, when the new allies appear, are kind of annoying to read. I think it's intentional, as teens can come across as annoying to adults. Dysart made the comic realistic in that aspect. Then there was a 2-issue or so dream sequence after Harbinger Wars which was crappy, but then it gets good again......I definitely recommend Imperium, which is the follow-up to Harbinger, and The Life and Death of Toyo Harada, which is essentially the conclusion to the entire Dysart run and is pretty damn good. Only problem with Imperium is the final 3-4 issues are real weak (Almost feel phoned in), but Life and Death of Toyo Harada more than makes up for that.....Of course, Harbinger Wars is fantastic. Harbinger Wars 2, which occurs around the time of the change in ownership of the comic company, is pretty crappy. I'd avoid that, as well as the Harbinger relaunch (Harbinger Renegade by Rafer Roberts).

I didn't like Unity at all, pretty much saw it as wasted potential. It was supposed to be the Justice League of Valiant, but it was crap.

Britannia I never read, so I can't comment on it.

I do suggest these titles:

Archer & Armstrong by Fred Van Lente. I'd suggest the first two story-arcs, which are pretty good. Also the third, as it includes A&A #0, which is kind of integral to the series. After that, it goes downhill (Especially the Bloodshot crossover, which I wish I could delete from my memory banks). The final arc, "American Wasteland" (vol 6), is worth reading, just to see what happens in the conclusion of the series, but it's not as good as the first two-three arcs ......And avoid the relaunch by Rafer Roberts, it's horrible......There were two A&A one-shots by Van Lente, Immortal Brothers: The Tale of the Green Knight and Armstrong and the Vault of Spirits, but you might have to just get the single issues as I think the only collected book these two issues were in was the deluxe hardcover that consisted of the Rafer Roberts relaunch.

Ivar, Timewalker by Fred Van Lente....This is meant to be read after Van Lente's A&A title, and is one of the best comics in the entire VEI reboot. It has a strong Doctor Who vibe to it.

Divinity, the first two arcs are just OK, but the third and final arc, Stalinverse, is pretty good and more than makes up for it.

War Mother is a pretty good limited series by Van Lente. It was a tie-in to 4001AD.

Stay away from Dead Drop, Book of Death, The Valiant, the Ninjak titles, the Faith titles, Livewire, Shadowman, etc....They're all crap. The very first arc of Shadowman (Birth Rites), by Justin Jordan & Patrick Zircher, is OK, but isn't as good as it should've been. I remember Shadowman #5 & #0 (Justin Jordan run) both being pretty good issues, but they're part of other trades wherein the rest of the issues are mediocre, to say the least. If you can get those two single issues, I'd suggest them.

Those are my opinions on Valiant (Not counting the original 90s version of the company run by Jim Shooter). Hopefully that'll help if you decide to try any further titles out.
    Thanks for taking the time - I have a lot of those books (both the good and bas ones haha) but I may look into some of those stories that are not in Deluxe format.

Very interesting read, thanks, it is a shame as I was a huge Valiant fan back in the 90’s and I did enjoy the new stuff, it was nice to get in on something from the start but it just didn’t hold my interest

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    You mean the fat chick line? Even taking the, I guess, body shaming or whatever out of it, how is that a funny line? Are big girls known to be jinxes?? I honestly don't know if that's like a saying or something.

And the Spidey "daddy" line and the Cap line weren't intended as jokes in-story, but rather as badass beatdown moments. They're funny to us in hindsight because we're laughing AT it, but I'm sure that's not what Millar was fully intending with those.

The only Millar books I really like are his entire Jupiter's Legacy/Jupiter's Circle line, along with The Magic Order. Well, and his two original Kick-Ass runs were OK. I've read some of his other MillarWorld titles, such as Starlight, Reborn, Prodigy, The Secret Service, and Chrononauts. I didn't regret reading them (They kept my interest), but I didn't particularly like them all that much. I will say I didn't like Sharkey, Nemesis, nor Wanted....Anything I read from his work on Marvel (Ultimates, Old Man Logan, FF), I didn't like at all. Old Man Logan, in particular, was downright horrible. His FF run had some good moments, but, overall, was disappointing.

I forgot to add, out of what little I read of his DC work, I did like Red Son.

Interesting, I'll give the first collection a try, then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Also got the Incal on the back burner, I should get back to that soon.

I found The Incal to be extremely disappointing. Even without the expectations I had going in, it was one of those series I had to really force myself to read because I didn't enjoy it at all. It was creative/influential for its time, but not the work of art some people make it out to be.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-23-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks for taking the time - I have a lot of those books (both the good and bas ones haha) but I may look into some of those stories that are not in Deluxe format.
    It'll be interesting to see what you think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Very interesting read, thanks, it is a shame as I was a huge Valiant fan back in the 90’s and I did enjoy the new stuff, it was nice to get in on something from the start but it just didn’t hold my interest

Yeah, when VEI stated up it was kind of fun having a new shared superhero universe, but most of it eventually fell flat. In particular, Venditti's X-O.....Again, the first two arcs were fine, then he goes into Planet Death, which felt somewhat one-note. Aric attacking The Vine and destroying them, OK. I figured Venditti was just giving some fans a bland, action-oriented arc and would go back to something better, later, but then we have that lame storyline where he creates his own nation on earth with the human refugees from The Vine's ships. Venditti had a world of potential, a new universe with all sorts of stories he could start from scratch, and he gave us that lame crap.

Then Armor Hunters was OK, but even that didn't live up to any of the potential the series had.