Page 185 of 186 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186 LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2786

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I'm hoping for a couple omni for this era in 2023 for X-men's 60th anniversary. The Fraction complete collections are long out of print.
    Yeah I'm missing most of Fraction and Brubaker's runs myself. I would prefer tpb editions to omnis though.

Incredible Member

From Hell Master Edition - Three chapters in and wow this is really captivating. I read the notes after each chapter and it really enriches the reading experience. I love the muted colours that have been added as I had seen the B&W version before and I think that the (rather limited) colouring that has been applied really helps to make following the plot easier.

This will take me a while as it is rather dense but so far I'm loving it.

All-New Member

The new Batwoman Omnibus. Fantastic! Great art and amazing use of panels.

Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm starting Man-Wolf the Complete Collection for my Halloween week reading. Probably not finish it till sometime in November.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I'm hoping for a couple omni for this era in 2023 for X-men's 60th anniversary. The Fraction complete collections are long out of print.
    I was confident the 3 Fraction volumes would have nice big print runs, and be readily available for a long time, so I skipped them. Bad idea.

It's very rare to see Marvel reprint Complete Collections, but I'm also hoping for an omni because then those Fraction books will drop in price on the secondary markets.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Deadman : Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love - I was so excited to read this when it was announced. A horror/romance story set in a gothic mansion? Yes, count me in! Unfortunately, it's just an alright romance story with very few horror moments.

Incredible Member

The Hands of Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu Omnibus Volume 1 - better than I had expected - I think mid-70s onwards is from where I can read comics without eye-rolling constantly. The art is great and very dynamic and so far the story is quite interesting. But I do hope that the spy-aspect that people talk about is going to be ramped up soon, at the moment the constant fighting is a bit repetitive. Hope they'll mix it up otherwise 4 omnibus will be a bit too much. What is absolutely mind-boggling is why on Earth they went with this extreme yellow skin colour, especially considering that there are also Asian characters with a more natural skin colour (and the fact that SC is supposed to be of mixed descent). This is one aspect where I wish they had applied some recolouring. Looks really bad and calls to question what they were thinking.

Eternals: The Complete Saga
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

read the title to this thread wrong.
    Last edited by Viktør Vaughn; 11-23-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Doing a read through of American Vampire (I'm on Vol. 3) and Akira (just finished Vol. 1 about to start vol. 2).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I just finished Sandman: Seasons of Mist and I am going to continue and read Sandman: A Game of You

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I just finished Sandman: Seasons of Mist and I am going to continue and read Sandman: A Game of You
    First time? Those are probably my two favorite arcs and I've been meaning to start a re-read for months now...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    First time? Those are probably my two favorite arcs and I've been meaning to start a re-read for months now...
    First time!

The first book was a little slow and I was wondering what all the hype is about but the minute he went to hell to find his helm and Lucifer wanted to keep him because dreams had no power in hell; Morpheus's answer floored me and I was hooked.

I cannot wait to go through the entire thing and I am so happy that DC released the box set it makes it so easy to find and read.

Fantastic Member

Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites- I'm a sucker for anthropomorphic stories like this and Wild's End, Mouse Guard, and Blacksad. Liked it a lot. 10/10

We Stand on Guard- BKV is in my top 5 favorite comic writers. This was a brutal but uplifting book. Skroce's art is pretty good too. 8/10

Nocterra v1- It was fine. Your basic post-apocalypse wasteland story with factions and shanty towns and secrets galore. Won't be back for the second volume though; not enough different or new here. 5/10.

Monster omnibus v1-2- I can't seem to quit Urasawa. Most times his pacing works (this and 20th Century Boys); sometimes not (Asadora). This was a great opener about a murder mystery with a moral play at its heart. 9/10.

21st Century Boys- ending to Urasawa's 20th Century Boys series. Great send-off. 8/10

Nomen Omen v1- quit after 3 issues; wasn't for me. 3/10

Home Sick Pilots v1- a supernatural horror story with punk bands. Enough here to bring me back for v2. 6/10

Marvel Boy- a re-read of the Morrison/Jones mini. Good stuff but very concept heavy and the character work felt (appropriately I suppose) alien to me. I prefer Noh-Varr's further adventures in Young Avengers and GotG more though. 7/10

Legion (DnA) v1- my first ever blush with the LoSH outside of Johns' writing. Frankly I didn't take to this. I could tell it was written fine but just didn't grab me. All characters were shades of others I've read elsewhere, and early Coipel is decent but not great. 5/10

Black Panther: Man Without Fear- the David Liss/Francavilla series. Pretty good T'Challa story taking place after the terrible Shadowland. 7/10

Ever: the Way Out- Usually I like Terry Moore's work. But unless this was the first in a new series of OGNs, it was wholly unsatisfying to read and a "okay that just happened". If there's a follow-up I'd consider it, but I rather prefer his existing universe of Motor Girl, Serial, Rachel Rising, Echo, et al. 4/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Fantastic Member

Top 10: the Forty Niners- pretty good book by Moore/Ha; prequel to Top 10. 7/10

Ultimate Fantastic Four OHC- now this FF by Millar, I liked. The combo of big ideas and slightly regressive characterization, with great (yes great) Greg Land art. 8/10

The Okay Witch v2- great follow up to the first volume. 8/10

Sam Wilson Captain America complete v2- I liked this quite a bit. Spencer does good work here, though a good chunk is connected to the main Hydra Cap book. The issues of race and systemic outlooks are handled well. The Generations issue was great too. 8/10

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW v1- I know this was recommended upthread but man I could not get into it. First off the artwork was not pleasing for me. And the story was... fine. I guess if I'd known the original lore it may have tickled my fancy more. 4/10

Thunderbolts (Ellis)- fan-fucking-tastic! Be it Iron Man, Moon Knight, the Wildstorm universe, or James Bond, Ellis has the uncanny ability to boil down tired/unwieldy concepts and characters to their essence while also invigorating them. This frankly is my favorite iteration of all these characters, outside of some other key iterations (like Bullseye by Miller or Samson by PAD). This was a joy to have re-read after many years. To see Bullseye get bitch-slapped was *chef's kiss*.

Oh and this Norman Osborn just rules. He's insane, dangerous, conniving, and so very entertaining to read. There's this 6 or so page long monologue he does while suiting up as the Goblin where he goes through his list of grievances and how it's always down to him to get things done right which encapsulated this character wayyy better than any number of Spider-Man stories through the decades. 10/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:57 PM.