Page 21 of 221 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I was aware of Templar, but damn it, Prince Valiant looks awesome - thanks!
    2 warnings tho! It's pretty old school but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by a younger reader (I'm not old myself either). I would compare it to bronze age Marvel, I got the same kind of enjoyment out of it (and also the awesome art).
    Also, it's not strictly medieval more Arthurian but it doesn't have many magical elements (rarely any based on what I've read).
    But those hcs are really nice looking, very tall books but not hard to handle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Really?? That's easily my favorite Catwoman series.
    Yup. Eyerolling stuff for me, all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I know, I know... nostalgia's a helluva drug.
    Lol, I'm sure that plays a huge part for all of us.

Amazing Member

Transformers Lost Light, Love and Rockets and Black Panther by Priest.
    Comic, toys and all around geek things from older geeks perspective: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Just finished Avengers: Endless Wartime by Warren Ellis and Mike McKone. Not a bad read with some pretty art by McKone. There's some witty banter although some of the dialogue is a little out of character for Cap what with some "rude" words but that's Warren Ellis for you. A pretty good story with some words by Bruce Banner, Logan and Hawkeye at the end to the other heroes to mull over.

Incredible Member

Had the urge to crack open Fantastic Four Silver Age omnibus 1 to read a few issues. Ended up reading 5-6. (Had previously read some of vol 2). It was interesting to jump into it not long after I had read Kirbys Challengers of the Unknown. The tie between them is obvious as they are both Kirby doing a team of 4 on fantastic adventures. Stan Lee just adds the extra magic to turn something from interesting to truly great.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finished reading Amazing Spider-Man OHC Vol. 1 by Dan Slott (the 2014 series directly after Superior Spider-Man). I found the writing a little off with occasionally bad dialogue and I’ve also gotten slightly tired of the awkward body positioning art by Ramos. I really enjoyed and appreciated Big Time, as well as SSM , but I’m not sure I’m actually keen on where Slott is taking Mr. Parker. I’m really not quite sure the point of issues #1.1-1.5. spoilers:
    A story which introduced us to a homeschooled kid who wants to be a hero but turns out to be Spidey’s enemy as the anti-hero Clash.
    end of spoilers Was Slott trying to show that kids that are homeschooled turn out bad? If so, that was a pretty bad call on his part IMHO. The real enemy in this story for me turned out to be Slott’s writing and I ended up rooting for the kid and hoping he’d turn around. Pretty awful. It just didn’t work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I finished reading Amazing Spider-Man OHC Vol. 1 by Dan Slott (the 2014 series directly after Superior Spider-Man). I found the writing a little off with occasionally bad dialogue and I’ve also gotten slightly tired of the awkward body positioning art by Ramos. I really enjoyed and appreciated Big Time, as well as SSM , but I’m not sure I’m actually keen on where Slott is taking Mr. Parker. I’m really not quite sure the point of issues #1.1-1.5. spoilers:
    A story which introduced us to a homeschooled kid who wants to be a hero but turns out to be Spidey’s enemy as the anti-hero Clash.
    end of spoilers Was Slott trying to show that kids that are homeschooled turn out bad? If so, that was a pretty bad call on his part IMHO. The real enemy in this story for me turned out to be Slott’s writing and I ended up rooting for the kid and hoping he’d turn around. Pretty awful. It just didn’t work for me.
    I loved Big Time & SSM. But like you, I really didn't care for what came after. I ended up dropping it completely after the first Worldwide OHC and donated those couple of OHCs after SSM to my library.

Currently reading Straczynski's Thor and will follow it up with Gillen's JIM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Had the urge to crack open Fantastic Four Silver Age omnibus 1 to read a few issues. Ended up reading 5-6. (Had previously read some of vol 2). It was interesting to jump into it not long after I had read Kirbys Challengers of the Unknown. The tie between them is obvious as they are both Kirby doing a team of 4 on fantastic adventures. Stan Lee just adds the extra magic to turn something from interesting to truly great.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I had a bit of a hard time adapting to the silver age stuff.

Some of the dated-ness is actually quite funny, e.g. when they are back in their headquarters and resting from a mission and Sue says: "I'm gonna clean up a bit" and Reed answers "As long as you do it quietly"

But apart from that, a lot of the early stories are very silly even by comic book standards. For instance that Ben gets so upset by these letters from that street gang. Also the unnecessary exposition slowed down the reading experience for me. I hope that the second omnibus will be better, I hear that's where Lee and Kirby hit their stride.

The experience of that first FF omnibus is actually keeping me from buying the Amazing Spider-Man omnis, as I'm not sure I would make it through them...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I had a bit of a hard time adapting to the silver age stuff.

Some of the dated-ness is actually quite funny, e.g. when they are back in their headquarters and resting from a mission and Sue says: "I'm gonna clean up a bit" and Reed answers "As long as you do it quietly"

But apart from that, a lot of the early stories are very silly even by comic book standards. For instance that Ben gets so upset by these letters from that street gang. Also the unnecessary exposition slowed down the reading experience for me. I hope that the second omnibus will be better, I hear that's where Lee and Kirby hit their stride.

The experience of that first FF omnibus is actually keeping me from buying the Amazing Spider-Man omnis, as I'm not sure I would make it through them...
    As someone who is also intimated by SA material, I have to say Amazing Spider-Man is pretty great! When I jump into any SA comic, my general rule of thumb is to only read 2 issues a night. Not only do they take longer to read, but there is a lot of information to absorb just from 1 issue.

You are always going to come across and issue here and there that seems like a chore to get through. But overall, I would say Amazing Spider-Man is one of the easier SA comics to breeze through while actually enjoying the stories.

I plan to start FF here very soon!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    As someone who is also intimated by SA material, I have to say Amazing Spider-Man is pretty great! When I jump into any SA comic, my general rule of thumb is to only read 2 issues a night. Not only do they take longer to read, but there is a lot of information to absorb just from 1 issue.

You are always going to come across and issue here and there that seems like a chore to get through. But overall, I would say Amazing Spider-Man is one of the easier SA comics to breeze through while actually enjoying the stories.

I plan to start FF here very soon!
    Thanks, that is very reassuring

Astonishing Member

Reading the Marvel Team Up by Chris Clameront and John Byrne TPB.
    Enjoying it a lot,i have read most of the stories of Spider-Man by Clameront before in another comic books but never collected in a volume.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Having read a good chunk of the second volume, I can say it is better than the first volume for sure but still has a lot of the silliness. Some of the dialogue is pretty dated as is a lot of the silver age. I have to be in the right mood to read some silver age (DC or Marvel) and I like to alternate it with more modern stuff. But when it clicks its great.
    Amazing Spiderman 1 omnibus is great. I breezed through that. I feel its a slight step up from Fantastic Four. Its where Stan Lee was at his best (my opinion anyways). Even what I've read of Thor (second omnibus) I have enjoyed more than Fantastic Four. I also found Doctor Strange (Ditko) great too. It feels like a complete story rather than villain of the week stuff.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 02-27-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Just received my copy of Uncanny X-Men Volume One. Been over 25 years since I read these stories, and looking forward to re-reading X-Men when they were GOOD. Just wish they stopped before the Dark Phoenix saga started...weird having a storyline end abruptly at the end of a book.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, if you're already not a Morrison fan because you find his stuff too "out there" and weird and hard to follow, then Doom Patrol may not be the best choice. If you haven't read Animal Man, that's a bit more conventional work by him.

Morrison's more conventional stuff: Animal Man, Gothic, Zenith, Klaus, his modern long Batman run, All Star Superman, New X-Men, Marvel Boy, JLA...etc
    I read Animal Man as singles when it came out and remember loving it, when the omnibus came out a while back I thought ‘excellent’ and I was really looking forward to reading it again, but it just bored me, I just don’t think Morrison is as clever as he thinks he is, but saying that, I loved his new x-men run and seven soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Payoff from Doom Patrol really comes at the end. Completely understand if you don't want to wade thru the madness, but as someone who hates that version of Morrison, the ending was worth it
    I really can’t be arsed I have literally dozens of still sealed books calling out to be read to waste time on something I don’t like

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I read Animal Man as singles when it came out and remember loving it, when the omnibus came out a while back I thought ‘excellent’ and I was really looking forward to reading it again, but it just bored me
    When I read the Animal Man Omni, I had the opposite reaction, I was blown away by great it was. I actually think Morrison has very isolated one shots (or short arcs) within his runs that are maybe even better than the overarc. I remember one issue of Animal Man was just about environmentalists saving dolphins and it was so powerfully done. Batman Inc had little stories in it like that where Morrison really shines and gives a powerful poignant glimpse into some issue or culture. Inc had a great Native American story that really moved me (besides feeling really authentic and researched).

In summary: Morrison doesn't get enough credit for his quieter powerful arcs and moments and characterization in his runs
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-28-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”