Page 28 of 219 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I am currently reading Howard the Duck Omnibus. It's really good.

Incredible Member

I've read about half of Daredevil Heart of Darkness Epic Collection. To be honest, I've found it to be quite terrible and find myself skimming through to get it over with. The writing is cringe worthy. Daredevil's characterization feels way off and to top it off, I don't like the art. John Romita Jr is just not someone whose art I enjoy. An Ann Nocenti Daredevil omnibus would be an easy pass for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I've read about half of Daredevil Heart of Darkness Epic Collection. To be honest, I've found it to be quite terrible and find myself skimming through to get it over with. The writing is cringe worthy. Daredevil's characterization feels way off and to top it off, I don't like the art. John Romita Jr is just not someone whose art I enjoy. An Ann Nocenti Daredevil omnibus would be an easy pass for me.
    Thatīs one of the books that is on my wishlist.
    I have read it way back in pocket comic books many years ago,so i donīt remember much of the stories.I do remember though enjoying Reading them though.
    I think it was the Nocenti/Romita Jr run in Daredevil that made me a Daredevil fan,if memory serves me well.
    To me it was during that time that John Romita Jr looked the best to me,he had moved from a more traditional Marvel Style House he had in the early 80s and during that time the art looked better to me,nowadays i think is not as got as it was during Daredevil and Iron Man that he illustrated during that time but he still have a curent awesome art style.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Thatīs one of the books that is on my wishlist.
    I have read it way back in pocket comic books many years ago,so i donīt remember much of the stories.I do remember though enjoying Reading them though.
    I think it was the Nocenti/Romita Jr run in Daredevil that made me a Daredevil fan,if memory serves me well.
    To me it was during that time that John Romita Jr looked the best to me,he had moved from a more traditional Marvel Style House he had in the early 80s and during that time the art looked better to me,nowadays i think is not as got as it was during Daredevil and Iron Man that he illustrated during that time but he still have a curent awesome art style.
    the Nocenti DD run run is pretty divisive usually. I've enjoyed the first epic but not every issue but haven't read the 2nd one yet. I also like JRJR's art in this run but I can understand why people can't really enjoy its blockyness.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I recently finished the Superman Secret Origin OHC Deluxe by Johns, Frank & Sibal. A treat. Nicely written with some beautiful art, a true homage to Christopher Reeve. I wish they had created a few more issues/chapters, it was a shame to finish.

Also read a few Indie mini-series:

Rover Red Charlie by Ennis & Dipascale
    Dead of Winter by Kyle Starks & Gabo
    Spy Seal by Rich Tommaso

JUst started the Sixth Gun, had the four volumes still sealed in boxes, so now I can start to read it, it was a complete blind buy (all four of them) but thankfully what little I have read, I’m really digging, it’s right up my alley

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the Nocenti DD run run is pretty divisive usually. I've enjoyed the first epic but not every issue but haven't read the 2nd one yet. I also like JRJR's art in this run but I can understand why people can't really enjoy its blockyness.
    I donīt remember much of the stories from Nocenti Run because it have been many years since i read them all though i remember enjoying reading them,and the Nocenti Run was among the first Daredevil stories i read.I have the two epic Daredevil of the Nocenti run in my wishlist.From what i remember i did liked the stories of Daredevil writen by Nocenti maybe because the stories were quite diferent that the Frank Miller run in Daredevil thus making it a interesting run i would say.
    JRJRīS art style (especially beggining from the early 90s or so) have a blockyness indeed.I can get why people donīt enjoy much of the art style.
    Another artist that have ilustrated Daredevil as well in that time that i think has a great art style for the Daredevil stories is Lee Weeks.

Astonishing Member

I am reading now Hulk:Visionaries-Peter David Vol.5.
    This volume have the first stories illustrated by Dale Keown.One of the best illustrators of Hulk in the Peter David run.
    Have been years since i read those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I donīt remember much of the stories from Nocenti Run because it have been many years since i read them all though i remember enjoying reading them,and the Nocenti Run was among the first Daredevil stories i read.I have the two epic Daredevil of the Nocenti run in my wishlist.From what i remember i did liked the stories of Daredevil writen by Nocenti maybe because the stories were quite diferent that the Frank Miller run in Daredevil thus making it a interesting run i would say.
    JRJRīS art style (especially beggining from the early 90s or so) have a blockyness indeed.I can get why people donīt enjoy much of the art style.
    Another artist that have ilustrated Daredevil as well in that time that i think has a great art style for the Daredevil stories is Lee Weeks.
    The Nocenti run is hit and miss for me. There were some good issues but overall I'm not a fan. It was a bit of a convoluted mess at times. JRJR's art is pretty good here , a lot depends on the inker with him and Al Williamson complemenrs him very well. JRJR is a very good storyteller but I'm not too fond of his art.

And yes, Lee Weeks is great, he's one of ny favourite artists, in particular on Daredevil, only 3rd to Miller and Mazzucchelli.

Incredible Member

I have only read a small piece of her run so maybe theres some better stuff coming. I took break and go back to it in a different mindset. Experimental pig/people farm and inhumans/ultron. Some weird stuff.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

This volume have the first stories illustrated by Dale Keown.One of the best illustrators of Hulk in the Peter David run.
    I remember when he first started drawing Hulk, and loved it. I seem to remember he didn't draw all that many issues, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I remember when he first started drawing Hulk, and loved it. I seem to remember he didn't draw all that many issues, though.
    What little I read of David's Hulk, I really liked Dale Keown's art. Really nice to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I have only read a small piece of her run so maybe theres some better stuff coming. I took break and go back to it in a different mindset. Experimental pig/people farm and inhumans/ultron. Some weird stuff.
    Nocenti has a lot of "activist" themes mixed with Biblical "ideas" in Daredevil. Sometimes it's hard to nail down what she's trying to put across.

I just started re-reading Nailbiter deluxe #1 so I can read #2 after that. It is still good!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The Nocenti run is hit and miss for me. There were some good issues but overall I'm not a fan. It was a bit of a convoluted mess at times. JRJR's art is pretty good here , a lot depends on the inker with him and Al Williamson complemenrs him very well. JRJR is a very good storyteller but I'm not too fond of his art.

And yes, Lee Weeks is great, he's one of ny favourite artists, in particular on Daredevil, only 3rd to Miller and Mazzucchelli.
    These three artistīs were indeed great illustrating Daredevil.
    I have the Nocenti run that is collected in the Epic collection on my wish list,i donīt remember the stories being much convoluted but then again i donīt remember much of the stories to begin with.
    I have just not goten those two epic books yet,because i have read those DD stories before but i will be buying them eventually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Dale Keown illustrated around thirty issues of Incredible Hulk,not that many stories sure.But even so he illustrated still a good amount of Hulk stories before going tyo Image way back.
    To me Dale Keown was the best artist that could had been illustrating Hulk way back,especially because he was after Jeff Purves a artist that have a more divisive art style.The illustrations by Purves were not bad,but i really think that Keown made Hulk a amazing comic book in terms of art and stories.Gary Frank was after Keown illustrating the Hulk,and he was yet another artist that have a great art style and was really cool on the Incredible Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    What little I read of David's Hulk, I really liked Dale Keown's art. Really nice to look at.
    I really recomend Reading all of Peter David run,i think only on the last issues the stories got not to be that consistently great.Other than that itīs one of my favorite runs in a comic book.