Page 30 of 220 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Vader down is more like Rebel squadron down! I read that much faster then I thought I would.

Anyway finally completed Locke & Key after years of meandering since book four and thoroughly enjoyed that. Fade Out and Nailbiter deluxe finished too. Nailbiter is getting interesting and Fade Out I kept flipping back and forth wondering if I’d just missed something. Locke did that too actually.

Incredible Member

Read Flash by Mark Waid TP Vol 1. I really liked it and will pick up the other volumes sometime. I had never read anything with Wally as the main Flash. I can see why people liked him as the Flash. He's a rougher flash trying to find his way from under the shadow of Barry. Sort of like a Dick Grayson/Batman type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I finished reading the "Dark Night: A True Batman Story" HC by Paul Dini and illustrated by Eduardo Risso. A painfully honest autobiographical story by Paul Dini with some interesting and haunting artwork by Risso. A must for Dini and Risso "mature" fans.

I'm also several issues into the Animal Man Omnibus.
    Literally everyone keeps saying how good this is but I just can't bring myself to buy it. The concept seems soooooo on the nose to me. It's like I kill giants. I've read it ages ago and was very underwhelmed because the whole metaphor was so obvious and without much nuance that I just didn't care about what's happening. Although I've bought I kill giants in trade since then to reread it but just can't seem to muster up the energy.
    I need some convincing about both of these books (also, I've watched Pan's labyrinth once, which is kinda similar I think and didn't like that either. It's just in her head, who cares. And I really like DelToro)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Literally everyone keeps saying how good this is but I just can't bring myself to buy it. The concept seems soooooo on the nose to me. It's like I kill giants. I've read it ages ago and was very underwhelmed because the whole metaphor was so obvious and without much nuance that I just didn't care about what's happening. Although I've bought I kill giants in trade since then to reread it but just can't seem to muster up the energy.
    I need some convincing about both of these books (also, I've watched Pan's labyrinth once, which is kinda similar I think and didn't like that either. It's just in her head, who cares. And I really like DelToro)
    Thats what i use the library for, something lile this I'm curious about but know I'll probably never want to read again. I've done that more with standalone GNs and Manga and haven't really regretted it.

And i wouldn't say it was awesome, but it was an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Thats what i use the library for, something lile this I'm curious about but know I'll probably never want to read again. I've done that more with standalone GNs and Manga and haven't really regretted it.

And i wouldn't say it was awesome, but it was an interesting read.
    it's not even the money, it's the time. I have way to much to read and watch so trying to go for stuff I would like. I could borrow Dark night from a pal.

I just opened my remastered edition of Black science 1 to re-read. Unfortunately I've got a faulty one The book block is letting loose.
    20180529_175015.jpg 20180529_175003.jpg

Mighty Member

it's not even the money, it's the time. I have way to much to read and watch so trying to go for stuff I would like. I could borrow Dark night from a pal.
    Well i was thinking of space, but that makes sense as well lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I just opened my remastered edition of Black science 1 to re-read. Unfortunately I've got a faulty one The book block is letting loose.
    20180529_175015.jpg 20180529_175003.jpg
    Yeah got some poor glue it seems. I just fixed a couple of mine that were like this, but it still pisses me off. Brand new at that smh

Incredible Member

Yeah got some poor glue it seems. I just fixed a couple of mine that were like this, but it still pisses me off. Brand new at that smh
    That doesn't look like a glue problem. That strip is decorative and not meant to keep the book pages together. The sewn binding is what keeps it together. Crappy to see either way.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    That doesn't look like a glue problem. That strip is decorative and not meant to keep the book pages together. The sewn binding is what keeps it together. Crappy to see either way.
    The red strip is decorative. The "mull" is what reinforces the sewn binding. And it is indeed glued to the block. You can see where some of the signatures have come unglued while the others remain. If it wasn't sewn, those pages would've completely fallen out

Incredible Member

The red strip is decorative. The "mull" is what reinforces the sewn binding. And it is indeed glued to the block. You can see where some of the signatures have come unglued while the others remain. If it wasn't sewn, those pages would've completely fallen out
    Thanks. I guess what I see is a portion of the pages still attached to the red striped/white decorative strip and see very little glue was likely used to attach it as it looks clean. I assumed it was the sewing which kept the pages from separating and the mull was simply there to strengthen it. I can't tell further in if the mull is even visible due to picture clarity. All I see clearly is underside of decorative strip at edge.
    Regardless, I'm not a book binder. I would be returning this book if I just got it!
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 05-29-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Mighty Member

Yeah it's hard to tell but in that first pic the grooves you see is the actual dried glue. When it's applied to the block it seeps into the block a bit, and if it unfortunately doesn't adhere that's what remains when the pages dislodge. Honestly when people bind their own books they let the glue dry for hours, under a press, sometimes using multiple coats. Watch a video on YouTube on how they mass manufacture hcs. They go thru the series of machines all in one go. I'm amazed they stay together as often as they do tbh lol

Edit: i just did a ton of research on this as i have an absolute that did exactly this. Was trying to see if it was worth experimenting on
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Mighty Member

I agree with the return. It's far too much hassle. And you expect a new product to be...new

I contacted the seller. Probably will be getting a new one. That's what they normally do when an item is damaged.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I haven't read I Kill Giants but I believe the Dini story is a little different. Dini imagines characters such as Batman, Joker and Penguin are talking to him but he doesn't imagine being in a different world or place. They are more his conscience and/or negative or bad thoughts sprouting into his head, if you catch my drift. It can be quite heavy at times and is definitely not for kids.

It's not my regular cup of tea but it's an interesting read and you get to know a little about what makes Dini tick.