Page 32 of 221 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I am going to order up the first Lucifer in my next order which will be next week when a few things are coming out that I want. Has this ever been collected in hardcover? All I saw was paperback collections which is fine. I am always looking for paperbacks to add to IST orders to balance it out due to shipping.
    I read the first Saga hardcover a little while ago. Loved it. It was so good and I went through it really fast. I have book 2 which I need to get to at some point. At the time I didn't want to read through the entire series too fast.
    only thick trades but they are around 400 pages each.
    Only advice I would give you is not to give up on the first story arc. It's not bad but I was kind of underwhelmed because some very reliable people here hyped up the book to me before. But by the second half of the first volume I was definitely hooked.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    only thick trades but they are around 400 pages each.
    Only advice I would give you is not to give up on the first story arc. It's not bad but I was kind of underwhelmed because some very reliable people here hyped up the book to me before. But by the second half of the first volume I was definitely hooked.
    Good to know. I find that's the case with a lot of books as writers find their footing.

Good to know. I find that's the case with a lot of books as writers find their footing.
    I'm also pretty sure they thought it will be cancelled in the first year.

It will haunt you until you can't resist. If you are a devout comic book reader there are some series that you just can't avoid because they are around every fekkin' corner (Watchmen, TDKR, Sandman, Swampy etc).
    I would say give it a shot, the first volume is trying to find it's place a bit (also they thought they will be cancelled after a year) but then it gets better and better. Vol 4 is my favourite but the other 2 arcs before that are great as well (and the first volume isn't crap by any means either). It's not a fast read but a rewarding one (also after vol 4 you can start read Lucifer, one of the best series I've read in recent years).
    I've just read the first 15 issues of Sandman, and I'm still not convinced it's my cup of tea. Do I need to read more oris it just not for me?

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I've just read the first 15 issues of Sandman, and I'm still not convinced it's my cup of tea. Do I need to read more oris it just not for me?
    maybe it's just not for you then. I would still recommend Lucifer (just read the plot summary for Season of Mists before that).
    Have you read or seen anything by Gaiman before? Like one of his books maybe?

maybe it's just not for you then. I would still recommend Lucifer (just read the plot summary for Season of Mists before that).
    Have you read or seen anything by Gaiman before? Like one of his books maybe?
    It isn't that I don't like it but it's also not that I'm blown away. And that's something I expected since everybody is talking about it like it's something..... you know?

I have only read Black Orchid I think. I didn't like that.

It isn't that I don't like it but it's also not that I'm blown away. And that's something I expected since everybody is talking about it like it's something..... you know?

I have only read Black Orchid I think. I didn't like that.
    yeah that wasn't my favourite either.
    Okay I have 2 takes on this issue:
    one: to me Gaiman isn't necessarily great because he blows my mind with his stories but because of the way he tells them. There is a certain passion for well told stories in all of his work that comes through (except for the Doctor Who episode, Nightmare in silver. That was pretty weak). He is an old fashioned storyteller mixed with a leather jacket wearing modern rock star type of personality (but he is a really sound guy).
    two: you have to consider the time Sandman came out and what type of story it is. There wasn't really anything like that on the market at the time and it attracted a huge female readership, like nothing else before.

If you want some recommendations I would suggest listening to his novella "A study in emerald". He reads it (like many of his books, I just love his voice) and it's a very fun Sherlock-Lovecraft mesh up story (and it's like 20 minutes).
    I really like his novellas (most of them) and most of his books like Anansi boys or Neverwhere.
    For shorter comics work I would highly recommend The books of Magic.

yeah that wasn't my favourite either.
    Okay I have 2 takes on this issue:
    one: to me Gaiman isn't necessarily great because he blows my mind with his stories but because of the way he tells them. There is a certain passion for well told stories in all of his work that comes through (except for the Doctor Who episode, Nightmare in silver. That was pretty weak). He is an old fashioned storyteller mixed with a leather jacket wearing modern rock star type of personality (but he is a really sound guy).
    two: you have to consider the time Sandman came out and what type of story it is. There wasn't really anything like that on the market at the time and it attracted a huge female readership, like nothing else before.

If you want some recommendations I would suggest listening to his novella "A study in emerald". He reads it (like many of his books, I just love his voice) and it's a very fun Sherlock-Lovecraft mesh up story (and it's like 20 minutes).
    I really like his novellas (most of them) and most of his books like Anansi boys or Neverwhere.
    For shorter comics work I would highly recommend The books of Magic.
    I'll go check it out. And read a few more issues of Sandman I think.

Incredible Member

I find Sandman inconsistent. Its never bad. Sometimes it can feel brilliant and sometimes it can have filler issues like any other series. But when it is good it is great.

I'll go check it out. And read a few more issues of Sandman I think.
    with 15 issues you are around vol 3 I think so if you can make it to Season of Mists (vol4) I would say try to do so and see how you feel at that point.

with 15 issues you are around vol 3 I think so if you can make it to Season of Mists (vol4) I would say try to do so and see how you feel at that point.
    It isn't that I dislike it and it is a struggle to read. So I'll read Season of Mists and after I'll decide to buy it or not.

Incredible Member

It isn't that I dislike it and it is a struggle to read. So I'll read Season of Mists and after I'll decide to buy it or not.
    Seasons of Mist is a good one.

Seasons of Mist is a good one.
    Maybe one more after that one then, just to be sure

Currently reading Adam Strange : Planet Heist. I enjoy the mystery so far but I don't find Adam to be that interesting of a character, at least in this series. Tigorr from the Omega Men is fun though.

Astonishing Member

It will haunt you until you can't resist. If you are a devout comic book reader there are some series that you just can't avoid because they are around every fekkin' corner (Watchmen, TDKR, Sandman, Swampy etc).
    I would say give it a shot, the first volume is trying to find it's place a bit (also they thought they will be cancelled after a year) but then it gets better and better. Vol 4 is my favourite but the other 2 arcs before that are great as well (and the first volume isn't crap by any means either). It's not a fast read but a rewarding one (also after vol 4 you can start read Lucifer, one of the best series I've read in recent years).
    I have not read volume 4 of Sandman but it is in my wishlist.Dunno if i will be getting all the Sandman TPBīS,that will depend how much i like the vol.4.
    I will pick up Lucifer eventually as well,but for now i will be getting more Sandman TPSīS (as long as i keep liking reading the stories) or start collecting the Swamp Thing TPBīS by Alan Moore.