Page 46 of 220 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

After finishing Peter Milligan's and Rick Veitch's runs on Animal Man, I read Jamie Delano's run in single issues and to put it bluntly, I've not taken to it at all and disliked his take on Buddy Baker although the Red had some interesting aspects. I also finished Jerry Prosser's run which albeit some "nice" fairytale art at times, seemed IMHO a lot of psycho-babble. Grant Morrison's run remains my favourite- even when Buddy had weaker moments and faced challenges, he always put Ellen, his wife and kids first. A very good portrayal of the everyman.

On the other hand, I've really been enjoying reading "Sherlock Holmes. The Complete Stories" (non-comic) with the original Strand Magazine illustrations by Sidney Paget. I took the brick of a book with me when I went on vacation with my wife and kids to Italy recently, where I read "A Study in Scarlet", "The Sign of the Four" and The Hound of the Baskervilles". On our return, I read "The Valley of Fear", "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes". I'm currently reading "The Return of Sherlock Holmes". All exceedingly good stuff!

In anticipation of my boy Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern, I decided I should get up to speed a little on the character. So I read the trade of Geoff Johns's Green Lantern: Secret Origins and then checked out from the library Volume 1 of the Johns omnibus, all 1,200, hardbound pages of it.

So. Much. Fun. An ideal example of straight-up adventure spectacle done with character and depth of feeling.

All due respect to Johns, but about 300 pages in, the thing I'm enjoying the most is Patrick Gleason's pencils (and Moose Baumann's colors and whoever's inks, I can't remember the names, but how could I forget the name Moose Baumann?). I just stop on so many pages and feast my eyes on the gorgeous colors and rich shadow and light.

Too bad I can't carry it on the subway, which is usually where I do most of my reading, unfortunately.

I just started to read “John Constantine, Hellblazer” this month and I have to say that I’m a little disappointed. Please, don’t get me wrong, it was a good comic, just it wasn’t as good as I thought. Maybe 'cause it’s the start of a broken Constantine, so you haven’t him so fucked up as in the future arcs. I must buy all Jamie Delano period this month, the idea is to read a writer por month.
    Last edited by Dock; 08-11-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Just starting vol 18 of Hellblazer and have to say Carey’s version of JC is the best by a country mile, it’s not enough to make me keep collecting the title (selling the now, hence the rush to read them by the weekend) but will be good to finish on a high note (unless vol 19 is crap) also just read Rasputin, the voice of the Dragon, which was advertised as a HC on speedyhen but arrived as a trade, so I complained and said I wanted to send it back, they offered me 20% off to keep it, I said I wanted to send it back, so they just gave me a refund and told me to keep it anyway, great read, if the day comes that I stop collecting, and I may, I will still find room to get any Hellboy stuff, it never disappoints.

As an aside, don’t know what is up with this forum but having real problems posting, always seems to double post, pages take ages to load, not a good experience at the moment

Glad you at least enjoy Carey! As for the forum, yeah it's kind of a pain, I've put in a question to the admins maybe they know what's up with it.

Just finished the last Providence book by Alan Moore, I really wanted to like it, I felt like I should of liked it, but it lost me about a 1/4 of the way through the book and it didn’t get me back, I think it may be best read when I’m not in a rush and all in one sitting

Planet Hulk OHC - re-read this for like the 10th time in anticipation of reading the World War Hulk Omnibus for the first time (previously only read the OHC). Such a great, classic story. I remember when the issues were originally coming out some people complained it stretched on for too long, but obviously that's ridiculous criticism and history has proven Planet Hulk to be an all-time story and one of the top ten Marvel runs of this century. If anything I would've liked the post-Red King period to have had a few more issues devoted to it.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    history has proven Planet Hulk to be an all-time story and one of the top ten Marvel runs of this century.
    I need space crack. Now. It was good, but give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I need space crack. Now. It was good, but give me a break.
    I mean, top 15 at the very least, but I would put it at 10.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I enjoyed reading it.

Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

I'm currently reading the first volume of the "Essential" series for Savage She-Hulk. I'm enjoying it so far. She-Hulk is my favorite Marvel character. I like some of the modern stuff but the first seventeen issues or so of John Byrne's run are my favorite. I've really wanted to read the original series for a while. I'm a bit excited to finally get around to it.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZorakLovesComics View Post
    I'm currently reading the first volume of the "Essential" series for Savage She-Hulk. I'm enjoying it so far. She-Hulk is my favorite Marvel character. I like some of the modern stuff but the first seventeen issues or so of John Byrne's run are my favorite. I've really wanted to read the original series for a while. I'm a bit excited to finally get around to it.
    I recently finished reading Charles Soule's 12-issue run on She-Hulk. I found it extremely enjoyable, in particular the 3-parter featuring Matt Murdock and Steve Rogers. Javier Pulido's art works really well with the tone of the story.

Incredible Member

I have recently been trying to finish up omnibus volumes which were partly finished. I had too many unfinished books. Finished up Spiderman 2 and Green Lantern Silver Age 1. Got back into the Swamp Thing Omnibus. I had taken a break after the Len Wein run.

Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I recently finished reading Charles Soule's 12-issue run on She-Hulk. I found it extremely enjoyable, in particular the 3-parter featuring Matt Murdock and Steve Rogers. Javier Pulido's art works really well with the tone of the story.
    I actually haven't got around to Soule's She-Hulk series. I'll definitely check it out. Twelve issues shouldn't be too difficult to track down.