Page 49 of 220 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Started on my Ennis Punisher Max V1 Omnibus. Hands down, my favorite Punisher run.
    Read the first one a few months ago. One of the few omnibus' where that was all I read until I finished it. Usually I will rotate a few things around at a time. Probably will re-read by the time I get around to reading the second (its a reasonably quick read). I had previously only ever read him where he was a minor supporting character in stuff.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Finished up Crisis on Infinite Earths. I really enjoyed it and was never bored although I stuck to an issue or 2 a night. There are a lot of characters but when it comes down to it, there are mostly a lot of cameos which are not tied directly into the main storyline going on. Once they establish the main characters, you are good to go. Going through these Crisis events, I found I have enjoyed it more at least knowing who the major players were. I don't know all DC characters or their backgrounds but I know enough so it boosted by enjoyment. It was great to see Sgt Rock and Haunted tank show up as these were characters I had read when I was younger.
    I think if you have a passable knowledge of the DC universe, these Crisis events are great. I don't think they are the best introduction for someone newer to the DC universe though. Now I am going back to Infinite Crisis right where they were going to explain what happened in COIE.
    Note: The quality of the book was pretty good. Nice glossy cover with paper similar to the recent Green Lantern/Green Arrow deluxe. It's sewn binding but pretty tight. There isn't much gutter loss except occasionally if the art spread to the next page.
    A good read, and I finally re-read it like 2-months ago, and I don't even think I read every issue when this originally came out. I was 13, and hd no idea what the hell was going on. Other than Flash and Supergirl died.

Like you said, I also liked the quality of paper used. Definitely one thing DC does better than Marvel on their books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    A good read, and I finally re-read it like 2-months ago, and I don't even think I read every issue when this originally came out. I was 13, and hd no idea what the hell was going on. Other than Flash and Supergirl died.

Like you said, I also liked the quality of paper used. Definitely one thing DC does better than Marvel on their books.
    I am curious to read the companion books which are coming out this fall/spring. Not sure if Book 1 is before the main event and book 2 after.

BANNED

I started to read JSA Omnibus, vol. 1 yesterday. So far i'm 6 issues in, and it's good. JSA try to stop an alien supernatural being called Stalker in the world war II era world (1945) Stories are Feasts of breavery after breavery so far as expected from JSA.

Over the past couple of months I've gotten around to checking out both Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles from IDW. I've caught up on Ghostbusters and am still working my way through Turtles, but really have enjoyed them both. I was particularly skeptical about Ghostbusters, but they do a pretty good job of getting the voices correct and the easter eggs throughout are very fun. A lot of it is over my head (I know very little beyond the three live action films, haven't seen the original cartoon since it aired during my childhood and know nothing about Extreme Ghostbusters or any video games) in terms of references but still a fun series.

With Turtles I had heard good things, so checked it out for that reason, rather than any great love of the property (I watched the cartoons as a kid but that's about it.) I wouldn't say it's the greatest comic ever like some of my Turtle fanatic friends claim, but it's solid and enjoyable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Over the past couple of months I've gotten around to checking out both Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles from IDW. I've caught up on Ghostbusters and am still working my way through Turtles, but really have enjoyed them both. I was particularly skeptical about Ghostbusters, but they do a pretty good job of getting the voices correct and the easter eggs throughout are very fun. A lot of it is over my head (I know very little beyond the three live action films, haven't seen the original cartoon since it aired during my childhood and know nothing about Extreme Ghostbusters or any video games) in terms of references but still a fun series.

With Turtles I had heard good things, so checked it out for that reason, rather than any great love of the property (I watched the cartoons as a kid but that's about it.) I wouldn't say it's the greatest comic ever like some of my Turtle fanatic friends claim, but it's solid and enjoyable enough.
    I agree that it's not the greatest ever (I've also had people say that to me), but it is definitely amongst the best I've read. Then again, I've probably read less comics than a lot of other people here :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just started reading my Infinite Crisis omni. I'm also working my way through my Robin binds.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Working my way through Infinite Crisis Omnibus. Reading an issue a day to not get through the main story too fast. I'm glad I stopped and read Crisis on Infinite Earths before getting back to it.
    Also have been reading Denny O'Neils Iron Man Epic Collection - The Enemy Within. It's pretty good. Even when he is fighting silly villains (Knights on Hover horses etc), the writing is solid. I find I can't help but hear Robert Downey Jr's voice in my head when I read it.
    There is also an issue early on drawn by Steve Ditko which was interesting to see. I hadn't read anything he has drawn post Silver Age Marvel.

I recently bought volume 1 of The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore), and was planning to buy volumes 2 & 3 soon, but I finished reading volume 1 early this morning and I have to say it's one of the most disappointing works of Alan Moore I've come across. I don't get all the praise the book gets, at least based off the first volume.....I essentially read a story about a girl who decided to go shopping. What happens in volume 2? Does Halo realize she wants to return an item but she lost the receipt?

In all seriousness, are volumes 2 & 3 worth picking up, or are they more of the same?

What's funny is I was expecting this from Fashion Beast, which I read a couple years ago, but that turned out to be a pretty good book.

Working my way through Infinite Crisis Omnibus. Reading an issue a day to not get through the main story too fast. I'm glad I stopped and read Crisis on Infinite Earths before getting back to it.
    Also have been reading Denny O'Neils Iron Man Epic Collection - The Enemy Within. It's pretty good. Even when he is fighting silly villains (Knights on Hover horses etc), the writing is solid. I find I can't help but hear Robert Downey Jr's voice in my head when I read it.
    There is also an issue early on drawn by Steve Ditko which was interesting to see. I hadn't read anything he has drawn post Silver Age Marvel.
    I think O'Neill's iron man just gets better when he gets to the proper alcoholism story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think O'Neill's iron man just gets better when he gets to the proper alcoholism story.
    I am there now. Nothing but positive things to say. It’s a good build up over many issues to get to his low point. Glad I picked it up. I also had picked up the next volume. I would get this again in an Omnibus.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Reading the first Omnibus of Geoff Johns’ GL. I know I’ve read some of his GL, but so far, everything is new to me.

GL was one of my favorite characters as a kid, so this is kind of cool to read.

I am there now. Nothing but positive things to say. It’s a good build up over many issues to get to his low point. Glad I picked it up. I also had picked up the next volume. I would get this again in an Omnibus.
    agreed.

Have you read the Michelinie omnibus? (you've probably mentioned it before but I just can't remember)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    agreed.

Have you read the Michelinie omnibus? (you've probably mentioned it before but I just can't remember)
    Unfortunately no. I missed out on that one. I am going to pick up his second run in epic format and hope that the first run comes out at some point (or an omnibus gets released again). I see Volume 14 is coming out so that covers the entire second run (with 13/15 out already). I'm thinking it might be a while before an epic collection covering the first run get released (or the omnibus gets re-released) as the masterwork line is nearly up to the first Michelinie run (2 more volumes).

Unfortunately no. I missed out on that one. I am going to pick up his second run in epic format and hope that the first run comes out at some point (or an omnibus gets released again). I see Volume 14 is coming out so that covers the entire second run (with 13/15 out already). I'm thinking it might be a while before an epic collection covering the first run get released (or the omnibus gets re-released) as the masterwork line is nearly up to the first Michelinie run (2 more volumes).
    you might still be able to find it for reasonable prices.
    IMHO the O'neill run is a more consistent one and has a much deeper examination of alcoholism but Michelinie was where it all started and his runs are well worth a read.