Page 50 of 219 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    you might still be able to find it for reasonable prices.
    IMHO the O'neill run is a more consistent one and has a much deeper examination of alcoholism but Michelinie was where it all started and his runs are well worth a read.
    I will keep an eye out for the omnibus. In the meantime, I have enough backlog to keep me going for a while! It will get reprinted in some form at some point hopefully. At least the Masterworks are coming. That may be my jumping on point for Iron Man masterworks.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Finished V1 of Geoff Johns’ GL Omnis.

I hadn’t read these stories before, and I thought they were really good. Now, I have read a good bit of material in V2, so it was good to see what happened beforehand.

I may read something else before I read V2...thinking either the Starlin Captain Marvel TPB or the Morrison Bats Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Finished V1 of Geoff Johns’ GL Omnis.

I hadn’t read these stories before, and I thought they were really good. Now, I have read a good bit of material in V2, so it was good to see what happened beforehand.

I may read something else before I read V2...thinking either the Starlin Captain Marvel TPB or the Morrison Bats Omni.
    That's what I did. After I read vol. 1 recently, I needed to cool off with a different series. The GL omni's are big, they can wear you out.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    That's what I did. After I read vol. 1 recently, I needed to cool off with a different series. The GL omni's are big, they can wear you out.
    Yeah, I was also surprised how big they are. Kind of cool, but I wasn’t expecting near-Infinite Crisis-sized for each one.

BANNED

I'm 15 issues or something in at JSA Omnibus Volume 1, i couldn't make it to the Geoff Johns parts yet... it's ok so far but it's like there is this so powerful villain, powerful enough to make the all JSA deal with him, and he wants to destory earth or humanity or rule it as a tyrant or something and JSA needs to stop him. It was ok with Stalker 'cause i also enjoyed reading the JSA of WWII era... but the book came to today of the those times, the late 90s and their first villain is tailored from the same fabric immortal being name Mordru... I hope the book doesn't go on like this... Another increadibly powerful tyrant god and another one after that with a different name... I have hope for Geoff Johns, i kind of take a look at the further parts and saw Black Adam with Geoff Johns's name attach with David Goyer as writters... I didn't like the art, Black Adam was not well built enough... but I'm looking forward to Geoff Johns Black Adam for sure. I love Black Adam, he was so good in 52 weeks under Geoff Johns's pen.

All-New Member

During my summer vacation i started re-reading my X-Men collection. I started with the Second Genesis epic collection, then the masterworks up unto the last one, then The Gift epic, and just finished the first X-Factor epic collection. This morning i started reading the Mutants Massacre tpb. X-Men was so much better in the 80's...

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I'm 15 issues or something in at JSA Omnibus Volume 1, i couldn't make it to the Geoff Johns parts yet... it's ok so far but it's like there is this so powerful villain, powerful enough to make the all JSA deal with him, and he wants to destory earth or humanity or rule it as a tyrant or something and JSA needs to stop him. It was ok with Stalker 'cause i also enjoyed reading the JSA of WWII era... but the book came to today of the those times, the late 90s and their first villain is tailored from the same fabric immortal being name Mordru... I hope the book doesn't go on like this... Another increadibly powerful tyrant god and another one after that with a different name... I have hope for Geoff Johns, i kind of take a look at the further parts and saw Black Adam with Geoff Johns's name attach with David Goyer as writters... I didn't like the art, Black Adam was not well built enough... but I'm looking forward to Geoff Johns Black Adam for sure. I love Black Adam, he was so good in 52 weeks under Geoff Johns's pen.

It gets better. JSA & Justice Society of America are some of Geoff's best work, but the first couple storylines weren't that great. From what I remember, the comic started to really pick up by issue #16 (The Johnny Sorrow storyline).

Incredible Member

Recently finished “the original writers” Miracleman and started onto the Gaiman material. Really fantastic. I thought it got a tad wordy near the end of the run but not a big complaint. I loved the whole concept. Some of the Art was just gorgeous. I have come to appreciate the volumes. Sort of like a MMW. Would be an instant buy in a larger format.

Finally got around to the SA Daredevil omni that's been on my shelf a while. It took a while to get my mindset right for a Stan Lee "yarn". Kind of weird reading this as I love Daredevil, but everything I'd read was Miller to current. I love SA Spidey, and this is fairly similar tone and the stories being told. The art is excellent throughout beginning with Everett, Wood, and Romita, but really seemed to start to shine when Gene Colan takes over about half way through. I'd definitely get a volume 2 and hope it comes sooner than later, though not sooner than reprints of the Bendis omnis. Come on Marvel, get on with them!

Now, finally starting the Prelude/War of Kings/Realm of Kings omnis. Just finished the Son of M and Deadly Genesis arcs. Good start so far.

The Byrne Alpha Flight omni's been sitting on my pile since I got it cheap a few months ago, so thought I'd finally tackle it. I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing groundbreaking, but very readable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    The Byrne Alpha Flight omni's been sitting on my pile since I got it cheap a few months ago, so thought I'd finally tackle it. I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing groundbreaking, but very readable.
    I read those via single issues back in the day. I thought it was just OK, always got a major vibe it should've been better than it was.

I bought it on a whim, as I like most Byrne stuff from that period. It was OK, but nothing great. And, as you said, very readable. I never got bored.

Captain America Epic Society of Serpents.

It's a little rough in the start of his long run, but finds it's groove. Mark Gruenwald Cap is Captain America too me. His voice for Cap is basically the reason I think of Cap as Marvels greatest Hero. He's the standard for everyone else to fall short of.

I'm more than half way through but I can't remember exactly how Steve gets closer to Diamondback, looking forward to rereading that soon.

Incredible Member

Love your avatar! haven't seen the Cheat for a long time

Sorry for OT

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Finally got around to the SA Daredevil omni that's been on my shelf a while. It took a while to get my mindset right for a Stan Lee "yarn". Kind of weird reading this as I love Daredevil, but everything I'd read was Miller to current. I love SA Spidey, and this is fairly similar tone and the stories being told. The art is excellent throughout beginning with Everett, Wood, and Romita, but really seemed to start to shine when Gene Colan takes over about half way through. I'd definitely get a volume 2 and hope it comes sooner than later, though not sooner than reprints of the Bendis omnis. Come on Marvel, get on with them!

Now, finally starting the Prelude/War of Kings/Realm of Kings omnis. Just finished the Son of M and Deadly Genesis arcs. Good start so far.
    I bought all the MMWs of Daredevil, but that didn't stop me from also purchasing the SA Omnibus as I'm first and foremost a Daredevil fan and completionist. I think the Omnibus is one of the best Silver Age Omnibuses out there and is definitely one of my favourites. The art looks pretty fantastic in oversized format. I'm looking forward to Vol. 2.

I'm totally in agreement with regards to the DD Bendis Omnibus reprints (I have Vol. 2 but not Vol. 1). I'm always full of hope each month when the new Marvel solicitations are about to be announced.