Page 53 of 219 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Finished Supergirl by Peter David vol 1.

I think it suffered for being part of cross overs and the story isn't the direction I would have preferred, however I do find it interesting that he is exploring human nature, philosophy, and belief. I have the next 2 but I like to skip around titles.

Just started Defenders MMW vol 2.

Absolute Hush, I’m sure I must of read the original version at some point as I remember who bandage guy is, but I really don’t remember anything about the story (maybe I have only watched the animated film) anyway, couple of issues in and I’m quite enjoying it, even though I’m not a massive Jim Lee fan

Also, reading Quantum and Woody book two while at work, really don’t know why I got it, as I found book one the worst Valiant series I have read so far, and this is no better, it’s quite crappy being a completist sometimes
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 10-03-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Absolute Hush, I’m sure I must of read the original version at some point as I remember who bandage guy is, but I really don’t remember anything about the story (maybe I have only watched the animated film) anyway, couple of issues in and I’m quite enjoying it, even though I’m not a massive Jim Lee fan

Also, reading Quantum and Woody book two while at work, really don’t know why I got it, as I found book one the worst Valiant series I have read so far, and this is no better, it’s quite crappy being a completist sometimes

I've been thinking about getting Absolute Hush. I thought the story was weak (I'm not a Jeph Loeb fan. All I'll say is, he was the writer of the film Commando, and that speaks volumes).....The only thing I like about Hush is it's a fun gallery of Batman's world, from villains to allies, and an Absolute edition featuring Jim Lee's art wouldn't be bad to look at. I'm not a massive fan of Lee, either. I've always felt he would be better served for posters and cover art, as his storytelling ability is lacking.....But that definitely wouldn't be bad to look at in Absolute form.

On a side note, if you haven't read it, I'd recommend Heart of Hush by Paul Dini. It's an excellent companion piece to Hush, and Dini gives the Hush character a level of gravitas Loeb was incapable of.....There were also two more issues in this storyline starring Catwoman which, unfortunately, I don't believe ever made it to any collected editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I've been thinking about getting Absolute Hush. I thought the story was weak (I'm not a Jeph Loeb fan. All I'll say is, he was the writer of the film Commando, and that speaks volumes).....The only thing I like about Hush is it's a fun gallery of Batman's world, from villains to allies, and an Absolute edition featuring Jim Lee's art wouldn't be bad to look at. I'm not a massive fan of Lee, either. I've always felt he would be better served for posters and cover art, as his storytelling ability is lacking.....But that definitely wouldn't be bad to look at in Absolute form.

On a side note, if you haven't read it, I'd recommend Heart of Hush by Paul Dini. It's an excellent companion piece to Hush, and Dini gives the Hush character a level of gravitas Loeb was incapable of.....There were also two more issues in this storyline starring Catwoman which, unfortunately, I don't believe ever made it to any collected editions.
    There's a Hush omnibus coming out next year. Any idea if these Catwoman issues will be included there?

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    There's a Hush omnibus coming out next year. Any idea if these Catwoman issues will be included there?
    Yep, the omnibus will consist of the original Hush, Hush Returns (yuck), and Dini’s work with the character, which includes Heart of Hush and House of Hush. https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...h-saga-omnibus

I’ll have a look for Heart if Hush, the Absolute has made it to my ‘keep’ pile but it’s not great, finished the Year one Absolute this morning in about 30 mins, it really is a classic but two versions are a waste of time for me personally as I have no interest in the scans of the original issues, the newer version does me fine

Incredible Member

I have been reading a number of epics lately. They have mostly been runs I have been interested in which aren't available in an Omnibus. One of them has been Peter David's Hulk which has been a blast. It is almost like reading an alternate universe version of Hulk. The writing is great. It is never boring and I frequently laugh out loud. I hope to read his entire run. I am partway into the last available volume (Fall of the Pantheons).

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Finished V3 of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern. I enjoyed all three volumes quite a bit...it's been highly praised, and rightfully so.

As a side note, I am always amazed when I read a Marvel Omni, and then immediately start a DC Omni afterwards, at the difference in paper quality. DC's paper feels almost twice as thick as Marvel's.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Finished V3 of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern. I enjoyed all three volumes quite a bit...it's been highly praised, and rightfully so.

As a side note, I am always amazed when I read a Marvel Omni, and then immediately start a DC Omni afterwards, at the difference in paper quality. DC's paper feels almost twice as thick as Marvel's.
    Which V do you think was weakest? (Although I think that they were all strong).
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Which V do you think was weakest? (Although I think that they were all strong).
    The very beginning of v1 and the end of v3 once Baz was introduced were the weakest parts, in my opinion. Still very enjoyable. I was also surprised at how much of this material I hadn't read before.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    The very beginning of v1 and the end of v3 once Baz was introduced were the weakest parts, in my opinion. Still very enjoyable. I was also surprised at how much of this material I hadn't read before.
    I don't have the omnibus collections, but I bought the singles as they were released and I felt the same way. Rebirth was kind of weak, but the beginning of the main series was where it started to get strong.....Then the series waned later, although I felt it started to wane once Mahnke took over art duties (That might be due to me having distaste for his style, but I also thought Johns was starting to run out of strong ideas by that point).

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Yep, the omnibus will consist of the original Hush, Hush Returns (yuck), and Dini’s work with the character, which includes Heart of Hush and House of Hush. https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...h-saga-omnibus

I'm torn.....On one hand, that would be a great way to have Dini's work on Hush (Especially those two Catwoman-led issues following Heart of Hush), along with the original storyline by Loeb/Lee.......But it seems like "Hush Returns" is universally panned, so I don't know if I should get this omnibus or if I should get Absolute Hush and hope DC releases an omnibus featuring Dini's work.

The Hush omnibus looks real good.
    I read all the stories in floppies, but will for sure be getting the Omnibus.

I'm torn.....On one hand, that would be a great way to have Dini's work on Hush (Especially those two Catwoman-led issues following Heart of Hush), along with the original storyline by Loeb/Lee.......But it seems like "Hush Returns" is universally panned, so I don't know if I should get this omnibus or if I should get Absolute Hush and hope DC releases an omnibus featuring Dini's work.
    You can always skip the Hush Returns stuff. While I think some sort of Dini-centric Batman volume collecting his Detective run and Streets of Gotham is always a possibility, the lack of Harley Quinn in those books (she’s in a couple issues if I recall) makes me doubtful it’ll be anytime in the near future. You never know with DC though, that’s just my gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    You can always skip the Hush Returns stuff. While I think some sort of Dini-centric Batman volume collecting his Detective run and Streets of Gotham is always a possibility, the lack of Harley Quinn in those books (she’s in a couple issues if I recall) makes me doubtful it’ll be anytime in the near future. You never know with DC though, that’s just my gut feeling.
    Having the "Hush Returns" content in a book I own would go against every fibre of my moral being, both as a man and as a comic collector....But I might do it.

In regard to a possible Dini omnibus from DC, Gotham City Sirens and the popular Harley Quinn one-shot would be huge selling points. Add in Streets of Gotham and his Detective run (and the two addendum issues for Heart of Hush), and it would be a great book. I don't think they'd be able to fit his Zatanna issues in unless they split it into two volumes.