Page 55 of 92 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Absolute Blackest Night, not really digging it, Geoff Johns has always been more miss that hit for me, he has a lot going on in his stories, maybe too much, and the characters just seem somehow lost, maybe I’m just not a fan of big company wide stories, I think this maybe going on the selling pile

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Absolute Blackest Night, not really digging it, Geoff Johns has always been more miss that hit for me, he has a lot going on in his stories, maybe too much, and the characters just seem somehow lost, maybe I’m just not a fan of big company wide stories, I think this maybe going on the selling pile
    Just finished the TP of "Batman: White Knight". Good stuff! I trade-waited it so read it all at once. Looking forward to the "Mutant X" collection.

I ended up giving up on Monstress half way through the first trade. I just don't think it's for me, so I'll be selling that one.

After catching up on a huge pile of monthlies, I'm now reading the Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin TPB.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Batman/TMNT III, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Black Hammer '45, Invisible Kingdom, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Infinite Dark, Criminal, Babyteeth

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

All-New Member

I just finished the second deluxe volume of Batman Rebirth and I have to be honest, apart from the art it was fairly terrible.

The war of jokes and riddles story was quite frankly complete and total shit.

Onto the Seven Soldiers Omnibus next, hopefully that will be better.

I finished the Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin TPB earlier. I quite liked it. To carry on the Star Wars kick I'm on at the moment, I'm re-reading my Star Wars Volume 1 OHC in preparation for volume 2, which is on it's way to me.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Batman/TMNT III, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Black Hammer '45, Invisible Kingdom, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Infinite Dark, Criminal, Babyteeth

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Just finished Avengers by Hickman Omnibus Vol. 2. Now, there is only Secret Wars.....

One of my favorite Spider-Man stories by two of my favorite Spider-Man story tellers. Len Wein and Ross Andru.
    Spider-Man: A New Goblin
    61I14Tmj-uL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm now reading Shipwreck from Aftershock comics. I read the first few issues in floppy format but I've got no idea how it ends.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Reading my Justice League International Omnibus. This is the first DC series I started buying regularly in my teens. Such a fun book. One of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'm now reading Shipwreck from Aftershock comics. I read the first few issues in floppy format but I've got no idea how it ends.

Shipwreck's a good book, but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts on the book after you finish it.

Got about 2 issues into the latest Quantum and Woody deluxe, had to leave it, awful, awful stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I finished the Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin TPB earlier. I quite liked it. To carry on the Star Wars kick I'm on at the moment, I'm re-reading my Star Wars Volume 1 OHC in preparation for volume 2, which is on it's way to me.
    I thought that it was ok, but not exceptional. I really enjoyed the standard Star War though, have fun with it! Also check out the Darth Vader omnibus if you haven't got that either.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Just finished the Daredevil by Miller/Janson omnibus and it was really great. Did not expect it to be this good, especially because it is quite an old run. Some things were dated, sure, but overall it was very modern.

Liked it so much I immediately moved on to the Companion omnibus.
    Currently on the Daredevil Companion Omnibus. More great stuff. The Born Again storyline is fantastic. Although I have to say that I prefer janson's pencils (and Miller's) to Mazzuchelli's. His look quite rough at times, with not much detail. But the story was so great I didn't really care.

Also noticed again that if the story is great, I don't care if it's old school art (by that I mean colouring)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Currently on the Daredevil Companion Omnibus. More great stuff. The Born Again storyline is fantastic. Although I have to say that I prefer janson's pencils (and Miller's) to Mazzuchelli's. His look quite rough at times, with not much detail. But the story was so great I didn't really care.

Also noticed again that if the story is great, I don't care if it's old school art (by that I mean colouring)
    Yes, absolutely, all good stuff. I also prefer Miler's and Janson's artwork although Mazzucchelli comes a close second with regards to Daredevil artists.

Miller would do the original "sketchy" artwork and Janson would finish it off. I think that's why Janson was deemed the artist and the art really never changed much from when Miller would be billed as the artist. Of course, Janson's inking was ecxellent. If you look at later Daredevil issues when Miller was no longer writing Daredevil and Janson was drawing and inking, the art and layouts were decidedly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Shipwreck's a good book, but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts on the book after you finish it.
    I finished it yesterday. I agree with you. It all seemed a bit too predictable for me. I was expecting to be left with a thought provoking finale based on what I'd read in the first 5 issues but it somewhat let me down. Loved Hester's art though and I'd still recommend the book to anyone who hasn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I thought that it was ok, but not exceptional. I really enjoyed the standard Star War though, have fun with it! Also check out the Darth Vader omnibus if you haven't got that either.
    I liked the flashbacks to Anakin and Palpatine and the overall story wasn't bad. I'd heard it wasn't very good but it was better than I expected it to be.

I've got the OHCs of Gillen's Vader. I thoroughly enjoyed those. I'd say it just pips Aaron's Star Wars in this new Marvel era but I've only read the first OHC of Star Wars, so that could change.