Page 58 of 221 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I reccomend the New X-Men run by Kyle and Yost that picks up right after their work on the mini's and specials. After that Yost wrote X-23 in X-Force but I never read those since I didn't like the art but I hear it was good. The Liu ongoing series comes after all of those.

I wish they had done her appearances in order instead of skipping ahead to the 2010 series.
    Thanks for the recommandations! Is there a complete collection or a good way to read this New X-Men run?

I'm now reading The Fade Out Deluxe Edition. This has been my shelf for ages and yesterday I finally picked it up.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

The Metabarons - Really enjoying this one, much more than The Incal. Excellent art and the story never lets up.

Halfway through Star Hawks Vol. 1 by Gil Kane and Ron Goulart. The art is great as expected, the story is pretty good too. Its not going to be anyone's favorite but its keeping me interested enough to keep the pages turning wanting to see what happens.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finished reading the Secret Wars OHC directly after finishing the Hickman Avengers Vol. 2 Omnibus. I also managed to read the mass majority of all the Secret Wars mini-series including the most crucial tie-ins such as Secret Wars: Battleworld #1-4, Secret Wars Journal #1-5, Thors #1-4 and Siege Vol. 2 #1-4. Secret Wars was pretty good as was the majority of Hickman's Avengers run although I admit to finding some of the second part confusing and had to do some re-reading. Out of the various one-shots and mini-series (almost 50), some turned out to be quite the gems and I would have no qualms in recommending them:

Master of Kung-Fu #1-4
    Planet Hulk #1-5
    Marvel Zombies #1-4
    1872 #1-4
    Armor Wars #1/2-5
    Korvac Saga #1-4
    Hail Hydra #1-4
    Secret Wars: Agents of Atlas #1

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I finished reading the Secret Wars OHC directly after finishing the Hickman Avengers Vol. 2 Omnibus. I also managed to read the mass majority of all the Secret Wars mini-series including the most crucial tie-ins such as Secret Wars: Battleworld #1-4, Secret Wars Journal #1-5, Thors #1-4 and Siege Vol. 2 #1-4. Secret Wars was pretty good as was the majority of Hickman's Avengers run although I admit to finding some of the second part confusing and had to do some re-reading. Out of the various one-shots and mini-series (almost 50), some turned out to be quite the gems and I would have no qualms in recommending them:

Master of Kung-Fu #1-4
    Planet Hulk #1-5
    Marvel Zombies #1-4
    1872 #1-4
    Armor Wars #1/2-5
    Korvac Saga #1-4
    Hail Hydra #1-4
    Secret Wars: Agents of Atlas #1
    There's so many people on here who have good reading habits, I am so hit or miss on whether I commit to reading something this week or not.

Incredible Member

Just finished Annihilation Complete Collections Vol 1/2. Overall I really liked it a lot. I liked the focus on the various heralds of Galactus throughout. I also liked how I never felt overwhelmed by too many characters in any of the issues which isn't always the case for event comics.
    Going to carry on with the Annihilation Conquest omnibus soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Will post more pics tomorrow but you can just Google culbard and Lovecraft.
    Read the first story yesterday it was good but kinda dated but still it was an engaging read. But the talking cats were kinda weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I'm interested. Can you share some more pics and your thoughts?
    follow up. Sorry for the lack of pics, but honestly, as I said, if you just google the key words it will do more justice than my pictures would.
    I've finished the book yesterday and it was very satisfying.
    Never read Lovecraft before but it was exactly what I've expected. The first story was kinda hokey because it took place in a dream world and it felt like a serialised adventure story but with a lot of darker, more menacing elements creeping in....and then the talking cats. That still baffles me a bit.

The second story, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward at the beginning kinda feels like a Sherlock Holmes type investigation (the originals). Kinda ploty, dry at points, listing lot of events and characters who come and go but it gets more and more interesting as it goes along and by the end of it I was absolutely hooked and really appreciated how it all culminated.

The best of the book is definitely At the Mountains of Madness. This story is a classic for a reason. Great build up, cosmic revelations, I can see this being mind blowing at the time. Guillermo Del Toro wanted to make this as a movie for ages but Hollywood won't let him put his uncompromised vision on screen which is a shame. I would love to see it (or a Denis Villeneuve version).

The Shadow out of time was a good follow up to At the mountains of madness, the premise is very intriguing but I think it went a bit too sci-fi as the story progressed. Still a good read with lot's of interesting concepts, some of them directly calling back to the previous story.

Over all a very good read for the spooky season, the stories I think very much stand the test of time (for the most part) and while I've never read the originals I think Culbard did the best to adapt stories that work best when you can only use your imagination for visualising the events.

Astonishing Member

I am reading now the Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Todd McFarlane Omnibus.
    I have read the stories before,but reading them now in the Omnibus format is great.

Incredible Member

Recently finished my Miller Daredevil readathon which included the Miller Omnibus, Miller Omnibus Companion and Miller's Elektra Omnibus.

While I would recommend the first two to every comic book fan, I would recommend the Elektra omnibus only for Miller completionists. There is a story in there called Elektra lives again which is really good, but I think most people will not actually make it there because the story before it not Miller's best work. The extravagant art by Bill Sienkiewicz is very interesting and the premise of the story is too, but to me it stayed too superficial and never dove enough into teh mythology. Maybe I'm also a bit disappointed because I expected some sort of origin story.

I followed that up with Superman Red Son, which was lots of fun. Read it in one sitting. After that, because it was spooky season, I read Alan Moore's Nenomicon but to me the plot was not at all surprising because I was already spoiled from reading up on teh controversy around it. Hoping that the Providence books are better.

After that, I switched to Mike Mignola's Baltimore and was immediately hooked. Really great stuff.

After Baltimore, I'm not sure yet what I will read. I recently acquired all volumes of the Incal in the coffee table size, maybe I'll go for that

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Recently finished my Miller Daredevil readathon which included the Miller Omnibus, Miller Omnibus Companion and Miller's Elektra Omnibus.

While I would recommend the first two to every comic book fan, I would recommend the Elektra omnibus only for Miller completionists. There is a story in there called Elektra lives again which is really good, but I think most people will not actually make it there because the story before it not Miller's best work. The extravagant art by Bill Sienkiewicz is very interesting and the premise of the story is too, but to me it stayed too superficial and never dove enough into teh mythology. Maybe I'm also a bit disappointed because I expected some sort of origin story.

I followed that up with Superman Red Son, which was lots of fun. Read it in one sitting. After that, because it was spooky season, I read Alan Moore's Nenomicon but to me the plot was not at all surprising because I was already spoiled from reading up on teh controversy around it. Hoping that the Providence books are better.

After that, I switched to Mike Mignola's Baltimore and was immediately hooked. Really great stuff.

After Baltimore, I'm not sure yet what I will read. I recently acquired all volumes of the Incal in the coffee table size, maybe I'll go for that
    I really need to get Baltimore but I'm just waiting on some chunky edition. Can't be bothered getting the individual volumes.
    If you want some more spooky stuff and haven't read Locke & Key yet I would highly recommend it!

follow up. Sorry for the lack of pics, but honestly, as I said, if you just google the key words it will do more justice than my pictures would.
    I've finished the book yesterday and it was very satisfying.
    Never read Lovecraft before but it was exactly what I've expected. The first story was kinda hokey because it took place in a dream world and it felt like a serialised adventure story but with a lot of darker, more menacing elements creeping in....and then the talking cats. That still baffles me a bit.

The second story, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward at the beginning kinda feels like a Sherlock Holmes type investigation (the originals). Kinda ploty, dry at points, listing lot of events and characters who come and go but it gets more and more interesting as it goes along and by the end of it I was absolutely hooked and really appreciated how it all culminated.

The best of the book is definitely At the Mountains of Madness. This story is a classic for a reason. Great build up, cosmic revelations, I can see this being mind blowing at the time. Guillermo Del Toro wanted to make this as a movie for ages but Hollywood won't let him put his uncompromised vision on screen which is a shame. I would love to see it (or a Denis Villeneuve version).

The Shadow out of time was a good follow up to At the mountains of madness, the premise is very intriguing but I think it went a bit too sci-fi as the story progressed. Still a good read with lot's of interesting concepts, some of them directly calling back to the previous story.

Over all a very good read for the spooky season, the stories I think very much stand the test of time (for the most part) and while I've never read the originals I think Culbard did the best to adapt stories that work best when you can only use your imagination for visualising the events.
    Thanks for your extensive explanation. I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea.

I have to read currently:
    - Daredevil by Frank Miller vol.3
    - LOAC vol.1: Krazy Kat
    - Batman by Neil Adams vol.1
    - Brightest Day vol.1
    - Snowpiercer Omnibus
    - Spirou Omnibus vol.3 (French)

Will be getting soon:
    - Planet Hulk
    - Kick-Ass box set
    - Klaus
    - Birth of Venom
    - Gotham Central vol.2
    - Forth World vol.3
    - Hellblazer vol.3
    - Spawn Compendium vol.1
    - The Complete Maus
    - Planetary vol.2
    - The End of The F***k World
    - Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Omnibus, Vol. 1
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Classics, Vol. 2
    - Spirou Omnibus vol.4 (French)
    - Lucky Luke Omnibus vol.1 (French)
    - Blake & Mortimer Omnibus (French)
    - New Gotham Omnibus vol.1-3 (French)
    - Le Tueur, cycle 1 vol.1-2 (French)

Have read not long ago:
    - Daredevil by Frank Miller vol.1-2
    - Batman Vampire Omnibus: Red Rain + Batman: Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson Mist
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Classics, Vol. 1
    - Transmetropolitan vol.1-2
    - 100 Bullets vol.1-5 + Brother Lono
    - Darkest Night
    - No Man's Land Omnibus vol.1-3
    - Hellboy Omnibus vol.1
    - Wizard Masterpiece Edition: Wolverine
    - Wizard Masterpiece Edition: X-men
    - Hellblazer vol2
    - We Are Robin vol.1-2
    - Incredible Hulk: Transformations TPB
    - Grey, Yellow, Blue, White (4 volumes)

Incredible Member

I really need to get Baltimore but I'm just waiting on some chunky edition. Can't be bothered getting the individual volumes.
    If you want some more spooky stuff and haven't read Locke & Key yet I would highly recommend it!
    Thanks, heard about Locke & Key in the FB group - sounds interesting indeed!

As for Baltimore, I was looking for volume 7 for a reasonable price and could not find it. In the end, I bought the two (German) omnibus editions collecting the entire series, each collecting four of the regular HC volumes (here is one: https://www.cross-cult.de/titel/balt...titel_medium=9). They seem slightly smaller than normal size HCs but they are very nice (even have a ribbon). I normally prefer to read comics in English, if that is the original language, but so far the translation has not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Thanks, heard about Locke & Key in the FB group - sounds interesting indeed!

As for Baltimore, I was looking for volume 7 for a reasonable price and could not find it. In the end, I bought the two (German) omnibus editions collecting the entire series, each collecting four of the regular HC volumes (here is one: https://www.cross-cult.de/titel/balt...titel_medium=9). They seem slightly smaller than normal size HCs but they are very nice (even have a ribbon). I normally prefer to read comics in English, if that is the original language, but so far the translation has not disappointed.
    You Germans are spoiled there Jealous!

I'm pretty sure DH will eventually do some kind of thick edition, plenty to read until then but I will definitely jump on it day one.
    As for Locke & Key I was a bit hesitant at first, not sure why but since then I've also read Joe Hill's books too and I think I prefer his writing over his dad's now. It's just super engaging with the right level of horror.