Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Yeah, but it sounds like this will be a Gotham by Gaslight kind of deal, and not part of the animated Universe they are building.
    They haven't clarified the continuity status of the films have they?

Incredible Member

**** yeah! I have been wanting this!

Honestly, I think they could easily go for three movies. Death, Reign and Return.

I wonder how much they will adapt and take out. I think a cool part of it is how we saw how Metropolis, the world and every character we knew from Superman's titles was affected. So much of the beautiful, but also of the ugly. A lot of little things that show how Superman dying matters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    They haven't clarified the continuity status of the films have they?
    No, but I don't see how they could work this into the current continuity and be close to the comics.

I haven't been watching these movies, but aren't they based on the New 52 versions? Specifically John's Justice League?

BANNED

No, but I don't see how they could work this into the current continuity and be close to the comics.

I haven't been watching these movies, but aren't they based on the New 52 versions? Specifically John's Justice League?
    This Superman is very ill defined and its pretty much their job to make stories fit, if they want it to be part of their continuity then they will obviously make sure it fits. Its just a question of desire.
    Yes.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

and not part of the animated Universe they are building.
    You mean the one that based on New 52 versions of characters? God bless these two movies won't be a part of that animated universe.

I assumed it'd just be standalone. If they wanted to make it fit in the current animated verse they always could, and there's an appeal there to doing it that way as some things would have to be different that would make retelling the tale more worthwhile, but I'm not anticipating that being the case.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

It could work, they could set in the past, use this as a pretext to introduce Jon and then move forward with a Super Sons animated film, easy. People get paid for thinking about these things, I'm sure they can do better.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

At least they're doing Superman animated movies again after the disastrous Superman vs. The Elite one. I thought that would be the final nail in the coffin.

I don't think the Death of Superman story is particularly worth retelling yet again, but the Reign of the Supermen was actually pretty good. If they can figure out a way to make the first part a decent movie despite the mediocre material its adapting, then I would have high hopes for the second part.

It could work, they could set in the past, use this as a pretext to introduce Jon and then move forward with a Super Sons animated film, easy. People get paid for thinking about these things, I'm sure they can do better.
    During The Death and Return of Superman arc Clark is engaged with Lois, but in the current animated universe he is with Wonder Woman. I can't see how this arc can be fused with current animated movies without ripping out the engagement. Unless they go for the entire Superman Reborn thing later and these two movies will introduce Pre-Flashpoint Superman to the current animated universe, but then you also will need to have Convergence, Superman: Lois and Clark, Death of New 52 Superman, etc.

It will be much easier for them to make these two part movie being a stand alone thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    At least they're doing Superman animated movies again after the disastrous Superman vs. The Elite one. I thought that would be the final nail in the coffin.
    Isn't Superman: Unbound an actual latest Superman solo animated movie? And it was a great one.

BANNED

Very glad to hear this...with most of the Supermen and Mongul back in play as of Rebirth, and Kon in a guest role in Young Justice, it makes sense to actively promote what they meant to the Super mythos in a grand fashion like this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    During The Death and Return of Superman arc Clark is engaged with Lois, but in the current animated universe he is with Wonder Woman. I can't see how this arc can be fused with current animated movies without ripping out the engagement. Unless they go for the entire Superman Reborn thing later and these two movies will introduce Pre-Flashpoint Superman to the current animated universe, but then you also will need to have Convergence, Superman: Lois and Clark, Death of New 52 Superman, etc.

It will be much easier for them to make these two part movie being a stand alone thing.
    Like I said its all about desire. If they have larger plans for the status quo they will introduce here then it makes sense to canonize it.

Reveal Superman got married to Lois in the past, got her pregnant, died,came back. That's the first step, second step could be that Superman and Lois decided to part ways for Jon's safety after the 4 Supermen fiasco. That would explain his loneliness and him dating Diana.

Step 3, you get the drill.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Give this man/woman a job DC that is such a good idea. There have been discussions here about how to work Jon into the animated movies and make a Supersons movie but there was always the problem of by the time this Lois and Clark get together and have a kid Damian would be too old.
    This takes care of that

BANNED

I don't think I like the idea of Clark becoming a deadbeat dad, [because it worked so well in Superman Returns right?], and I would not want Diana getting in the way of a Lois and Clark reunion, she narrowly escaped the homewrecker accusations in Rebirth but she still came off pretty badly before Superman Reborn set the record straight. I would rather just quietly retire the current continuity and reset with this, or eventually adapt the likes of Superman Reborn.

Better yet, I'd go with an idea I had for an episode of JL Action...Lois and Clark are on assignment together and become trapped in a pocket dimension where minutes pass for everyone in the real world, but years for them. In that while, they become romantically involved and conceive Jon, and by the time they return, Jon is at the age to join Damian in adventures and Diana moves on from Clark when she finds out.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-22-2017 at 03:50 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Out side of a full on reboot to the DC animated movies (very much a thing that can happen), I don't see this being worked in. I don't even see the point of it being worked. With all their talk of staying true to the source material, I don't think they'll change it to accommodate their shared animated movie universe. That seems needlessly complex, to me.

Just let it stand or fall on its own as its own thing. Batman has had about 5 animated movies that have nothing to do with the shared animated world. Year One and Dark Knight Returns are two iconic stories that they simply just decide to closely adapt. Why wouldn't the same be true for Death and Return?

I'd say Super Sons works better as an on going cartoon. You want that to be the gift that keeps on giving. Also, you've got to know that the animation team eventually wants to do Crisis. That's a movie that they can't do stand alone (no context in a story where context is basically everything). That's gonna be their shot to do Crisis with the current characters. That's where a reboot is likely to happen. I don't care that one of the producers says they have no plans to reboot. The people who foamed at the mouth to do Killing Joke for all these years are not gonna pass on doing Crisis if given the green light, and Johns waving a giant "pay attention to the multiverse" flag for the rest of this year and going into the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't think I like the idea of Clark becoming a deadbeat dad, [because it worked so well in Superman Returns right?]
    Also there isn't a situation where this is a cool move for Superman. All of the exposition and "but what had happened was" lines in the world can't make this ok.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-22-2017 at 04:14 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.