Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Wow. Unexpected. I thought the Superman: Doomsday one was going to be it. I would have preferred if this was done way back then, but I guess better late than never.

I do wonder about the voice cast. I'm kinda hoping Tim Daly, Dana Delaney and Clancy Brown return as Supes, Lois and Lex. I doubt they are going to use long haired Aussie Lex for this because you'd need half a film to explain how all that happened, so I'd at least love to see Clancy back as Lex. He's my favorite animated Luthor voice.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

If they want to stick to the source material, it makes sense if it's stand alone and not worked into the current universe. If introducing Jon is on the cards I'm sure there's a way of doing so without smudging all the other characters involved. It would be even better if we got some answers on the fate of Kon as well.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

double post

I just had a thought. I wonder if this movie is going to essentially be the " new" official retelling of the death and Return story for the current comics continiuity?

It seems strange they are doing it again in animation. At one time DC was going to have Greg Pak and Max Landis do a weekly series retelling for New 52 continiuity but it fell through, and it's obvious there are going to have to be changes to DOS with the current continiuity because certain things that were canon in 1992 no longer are, so I could buy them using this movie to stay faithful to the original while slightly condensing the story and adding in new continiuity wrinkles that more closely mirrors the current Superman continiuity ( I.e. replacing Aussie Lex with Classic bald Lex, Kara replacing Matrix etc).

Seeing how Mike Carlin is the head honcho of DC animation , I wouldn't be surprised that this will serve as the new canon retelling of Death/Funeral and Reign.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Out side of a full on reboot to the DC animated movies (very much a thing that can happen), I don't see this being worked in. I don't even see the point of it being worked. With all their talk of staying true to the source material, I don't think they'll change it to accommodate their shared animated movie universe. That seems needlessly complex, to me.

Just let it stand or fall on its own as its own thing. Batman has had about 5 animated movies that have nothing to do with the shared animated world. Year One and Dark Knight Returns are two iconic stories that they simply just decide to closely adapt. Why wouldn't the same be true for Death and Return?

I'd say Super Sons works better as an on going cartoon. You want that to be the gift that keeps on giving. Also, you've got to know that the animation team eventually wants to do Crisis. That's a movie that they can't do stand alone (no context in a story where context is basically everything). That's gonna be their shot to do Crisis with the current characters. That's where a reboot is likely to happen. I don't care that one of the producers says they have no plans to reboot. The people who foamed at the mouth to do Killing Joke for all these years are not gonna pass on doing Crisis if given the green light, and Johns waving a giant "pay attention to the multiverse" flag for the rest of this year and going into the next.

Also there isn't a situation where this is a cool move for Superman. All of the exposition and "but what had happened was" lines in the world can't make this ok.
    They folded Judas Contract,Court of Owls and vesions of Morrison run in to one continuity. I dont think DOS is a sacred cow. Red Son for example is a better comparison.

But still just a theory on my part pertaining to how it fits in contnuity. It all boils down to desire and intent. Do they want to just tell a story or are they setting up a line of Superman family movies.

I am surprised by this, we see(in certain way) this with Superman and Doomsday..

So, this time they will put Superboy, Eradicator, Cyborg Superman and Steel, no?

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    They folded Judas Contract,Court of Owls and vesions of Morrison run in to one continuity. I dont think DOS is a sacred cow. Red Son for example is a better comparison.

But still just a theory on my part pertaining to how it fits in contnuity. It all boils down to desire and intent. Do they want to just tell a story or are they setting up a line of Superman family movies.
    It's possible. I think it will depend on how it's received. In the comics REIGN definitely launched the first real honest to God Superfamily post Crisis. It could easily be a platform to launch a new direction for Superman and his world in animation. You could easily transition into a retelling of a few other Post Crisis " Classic" stories. Heck if done right you could still easily fold stuff like Superman vs the Elite and Superman Unbound into the new continiuity timeline if one wants to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It's possible. I think it will depend on how it's received. In the comics REIGN definitely launched the first real honest to God Superfamily post Crisis. It could easily be a platform to launch a new direction for Superman and his world in animation. You could easily transition into a retelling of a few other Post Crisis " Classic" stories. Heck if done right you could still easily fold stuff like Superman vs the Elite and Superman Unbound into the new continiuity timeline if one wants to.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying and I think these films are already made by the time they make SDCC announcements.

If they have already decided that these are to launch a new line of Superman films then they'll likely be in continuity and they can always go for out of continuity films as well. Batman has been getting both.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    At least they're doing Superman animated movies again after the disastrous Superman vs. The Elite one. I thought that would be the final nail in the coffin
    Eh? It wasn't all that poorly received. It has an 80% on Rotten tomatoes, for however important that seems to be to people.

I'm interested in a faithful adaptation because I thought the other Death cartoon was a mess, and at the best just too rushed. However, 2018 and 2019 schedules sound dragged out. I imagine they could have knocked out about three hours of animation by the 25th anniversary of #75.

BANNED

Can you imagine 1 voice actor for Superman,Hank,Eradicator,and kon?

Can't wait to find out how they are gonna "tweak" the original,which means cutting or keeping Kon,matrix in or out,young Australian lex

Personally I don't think everything needs to be with shared universe I want them to be stand alone films adapting specific stories. I wish Judas Contract had been not connected to their shared Animated Universe. I'd love for a adapting of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" a great story with the greatest hits of the Silver/Bronze Age.

[] Origin story
    [x] Superman dies
    [] Superman turns evil

I mean, I joke about this all the damn time, but this is going to be the third animated feature that involves his death in a 10-year span.

On the bright side, the follow-up movie will be Reign of the Supermen, which is new territory, so in that case I'm not too disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Eh? It wasn't all that poorly received. It has an 80% on Rotten tomatoes, for however important that seems to be to people.

I'm interested in a faithful adaptation because I thought the other Death cartoon was a mess, and at the best just too rushed. However, 2018 and 2019 schedules sound dragged out. I imagine they could have knocked out about three hours of animation by the 25th anniversary of #75.
    People who watched it seemed to like the story. Problem with that particular movie was that not enough people watched it, and the production values seemed so pitifully low. As far as AV quality goes, it's totally substandard for this line of movies.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 07-22-2017 at 08:07 AM.

I don't think we needed another adaption of the Death of Superman, but at the same time I am curious to see what they do with two movies to expand on and more faithfully adapt the storyline. And hey, we're getting two Superman movies .

I'll be curious if we see Cyborg-Superman and Eradicator pop up in the Reign adaption since it would be their first appearances in animation, pretty much.

I wonder if they'll find a way to include Supergirl?

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Very suprised and excited about this news.

I liked the '07 adaptation, but the condensed, 75 minute run-time did hurt it a bit.

The way Clark's cheeks looked was something I really didn't like, though.

BANNED

Say hello again to this guy