Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why can't or Can Marvel do an event centered on Kang that includes every title ?

After seeing the latest trailer for Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 it makes me wonder why can't Marvel do a proper Kang themed even where he's the bad guy of it all ?

Not single in one title for a storyline event, but an entire Marvel themed event that affects every title in the Marvel Line-up.

As fans of the character what do you think of it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIT1Jqpy50

They could. It would take the right writer with the right pitch. Though given people are tired of major events that have every other title tie into them, it might be best if they don't do a Kang event like that.

Extraordinary Member

Back in 2000 Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort pitched a line-wide event called "Y2Kang," where Kang uses the Y2K virus (remember that?) for his nefarious plans. But it turned out the event couldn't be scheduled to run before the end of 2000, so they wound up doing "Maximum Security" instead.

After that Busiek and Brevoort did a big Kang story in Avengers, but at that point Marvel had new management and a strong policy against line-wide crossovers and events, so it was just restricted to Avengers.

From that point on I just don't think most writers were interested in using Kang very much. He rarely showed up in Bendis or Hickman's Avengers, and his biggest roles were in books that mostly didn't overlap with other titles, like Young Avengers and Remender's Uncanny Avengers.

There might be a Kang event someday, like Bendis finally got to do a line-wide Ultron event after it was delayed for a while. Sometimes a character goes a while without being used much and comes back strong (like Ultron).

It would end with like Civil War; with each writer going on their own way and contradicting each other.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Kang Dynasty story back in the early 2000's should have been line wide. It went on for almost a year and half in the Avengers book and had Kang basically taking over the world, but no other titles even mentioned it. It made the story feel small since it effected nothing outside the one book it was running in. I mean the story ran from issues 41-55 of the Avengers book and not even books like Captain America or Iron Man even crossed over with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Kang Dynasty story back in the early 2000's should have been line wide. It went on for almost a year and half in the Avengers book and had Kang basically taking over the world, but no other titles even mentioned it. It made the story feel small since it effected nothing outside the one book it was running in. I mean the story ran from issues 41-55 of the Avengers book and not even books like Captain America or Iron Man even crossed over with it.
    I felt like it should've been a line wide thing. It was so weird that this story that unfolded over a year and a half and that involved Kang taking over the planet didn't get a single crossover issue or was even referenced elsewhere (that I recall). It made this epic story feel oddly isolated. Great story, and a wonderful capstone to the Busiek era but it should've been a bigger deal in the publishing line at the time.

As for doing a line-wide Kang story now, Marvel could do it any time they wanted to. But seeing as many fans are in complain mode about events, I can't see doing a big line-wide crossover being a very welcome move right now.

I would like to see Kang at the head of a big event at some point. Not too soon because I want to see what exactly Marvel has in mind for it's proclamation of "less events" but at some point down the line I would buy it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

They probably could, if they were so inclined, but I don't think they need too.

Every time Kang is a main villain of an Avengers arc it's practically an event, and I think that works out better then trying to make him the villain of a line-wide event. Especially after what happened when they tried to have Ultron headline his own event.

Yes, Marvel can do anything they want, I will say that first.

But I do not think they can do a Kang line-wide event that isn't forced. Why does he suddenly care about mutants? Which that reason would become the focus of the plot.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but also remember Uncanny Avengers did a Kang storyline a few years back. I think there is nothing to be gained with a Kang wide event. Perhaps if Marvel gets the rights back to Kang.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

While I like time travel stories, I hate events, so please, no; no entire line-wide Kang stories.

I'd like to see a storyline that gets rid of Kang once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see a storyline that gets rid of Kang once and for all.
    Well, I think that was the intention behind the Kang War storyline in the recent Avengers, but it's probably not going to stick.

Astonishing Member

So after Secret Empire Marvel mentioned that they were not doing any big events for some time, so something like this would be cool for the first event after the break.

iMan 42s

It could be done.
    The cool part about Kang's time traveling is that the story doesn't have to play out linearly, and that can provide a lot of questions and fun answers to how Kang is beaten, and exactly when as well as when in the story itself.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I guess we should also add "Again." Do you think Marvel will do another Kang event that crosses all titles. He did one before, Evolutionary War.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.