Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Only problem is with Waid writing the book Cap's adventures will be mostly just him checking his privilege and inventing terms like "cap-splaining" should he try to help someone.

See Waid's Daredevil run for evidence.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

I have not read his past Cap series, but I really like Waid as a writer so I am looking forward to this. He has a big job ahead of him though, returning a character back to their roots after two years of being a villain. Still, I have faith!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Only problem is with Waid writing the book Cap's adventures will be mostly just him checking his privilege and inventing terms like "cap-splaining" should he try to help someone.

Considering this will start right after he just unbecame(I don't think that's an actual word but anyway) a nazi, that just makes sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, whatever Cap is left standing, they won't be HydraCap anymore. I think it'd be more interesting to have the present HydraCap be saved, reverting to his normal self but have to deal with the repercussions of what he's done. But we'll see how it goes. No matter what, even if it's bearded Cap, any Steve Rogers Cap post-SE is going to have to answer for what happened.

I'm just slightly bummed that Spencer himself won't be following up on the SE aftermath but I also think that there'd be no way for him to top SE and the HydraCap saga. It was a mistake for Brubaker to stay on the book after Reborn - it felt like just halfheartedly going through the motions - so it's smart to just have Spencer wrap his story and hand Cap to the next team.

And I have no doubt that Waid and Samnee are going to crush it on Cap. They were great on DD and Black Widow but I feel like this is the book they were made to collaborate on.
    Well that's the thing, I don't think the bearded Steve is another entity but instead the true personality of Steve but has his memories scrambled due to Kobik messing with his past hence why he shows to remember some things of his past but not others. So even when Captain Hydra reverts to normal, it'll still be the same person, just with his correct personality in place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    looking forward to this!

THIS is my cap.

this is what marvel SHOULD be doing!!! and since they ARE, we can finally say " HEY Marvel!, nice! now go tell stories of Cap taking on Batroc the leaper! and such."
    I'm greatly looking forward to this. Waid and Samnee are an amazing team and Waid has more than proven himself as a first rate Cap scribe. And it's also going to be cool to see a classic Steve back in action for the first time in a long time.

However, it should also be said that this "return to form" wouldn't be so exciting if we got "classic Cap" all the time. Spencer's HydraCap saga has been a bracing break from the norm. As much as some have complained about it and acted as though it were the end of the world and that it destroyed the character of Captain America, people somehow seem to forget that comics always default to the regular status quo eventually. Always, always, always.

You can shake things up - indeed things need to be shook up to keep from stagnating - but a return to the familiar is always inevitable. As it should be. When you have characters that are in continuous publication for decades on end, it can't be the same thing, the same way, all the time. But things do always come back around.

But I hope that in this case, a return to the familiar isn't just as ho-hum as "In this issue, Cap fights Batroc!" I trust that a writer as good as Waid will set his sights a bit higher than just having "good" Steve back to fighting the same old fights and the same old foes.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-22-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post

Waid's "Heroes Reborn" Cap run was actually pretty good. I'd consider it well done old fashioned cape comics.

My biggest fear is that these days Waid has so many other things going on, I wouldn't want the new run to be him just going thru the motions. On the other hand, I liked him and Chris on Black Widow so I'm optimistic.

I'm greatly looking forward to this. Waid and Samnee are an amazing team and Waid has more than proven himself as a first rate Cap scribe. And it's also going to be cool to see a classic Steve back in action for the first time in a long time.

However, it should also be said that this "return to form" wouldn't be so exciting if we got "classic Cap" all the time. Spencer's HydraCap saga has been a bracing break from the norm. As much as some have complained about it and acted as though it were the end of the world and that it destroyed the character of Captain America, people somehow seem to forget that comics always default to the regular status quo eventually. Always, always, always.

You can shake things up - indeed things need to be shook up to keep from stagnating - but a return to the familiar is always inevitable. As it should be. When you have characters that are in continuous publication for decades on end, it can't be the same thing, the same way, all the time. But things do always come back around.

But I hope that in this case, a return to the familiar isn't just as ho-hum as "In this issue, Cap fights Batroc!" I trust that a writer as good as Waid will set his sights a bit higher than just having "good" Steve back to fighting the same old fights and the same old foes.
    I'm always exited for new Captain America book especially with classic Steve Rogers and won't miss Hydra Cap or Spencer at all.

I agree with all of this. While I didn't enjoy HydraCap, I loved Sam Wilson as Old Winghead. But you do need shake up to make the return to form enjoyable. It'd be great if comics found a happy medium, but I'm concerned that this Legacy stuff is just going to feel stale.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Considering this will start right after he just unbecame(I don't think that's an actual word but anyway) a nazi, that just makes sense for me.
    Yea, cuz belonging to groups labeled privileged and explaining things to people is on par with nazism ... at least... it is according to some.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Actually, I don't really like his old Cap run that much, but this is as interesting as I've seen for announcements.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Waid's first run on Cap is some of my favorites, his second run was good but didn't reach the levels of the pre Onslaught stuff, but it was still better than the average Cap book. So, I'm cautiously excited about this. Anything that has Cap back in his classic gear, slinging shield is excellent news!
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thanks. And in fact, if Bleeding Cool are to be believed, he's leaving this run after five or so issues too.
    Eh, as long as Samnee stays on. His art's so pretty~
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    looking forward to this!

THIS is my cap.

this is what marvel SHOULD be doing!!! and since they ARE, we can finally say " HEY Marvel!, nice! now go tell stories of Cap taking on Batroc the leaper! and such."
    And what was wrong with Sam Wilson? Too dark for you?

I wonder if Sharon and Bucky will appear in this run?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if Sharon and Bucky will appear in this run?
    We'll find out more with the up coming Cap issue featuring Sharon. Supposedly will make some decision regarding HydraCap. Hopefully it's in conjunction with Widow. I've always enjoyed their team-ups.

I will say some of Greunwald's stories featured Cap on the road ... didn't set right with me. Enjoyed a tight knit supporting cast Brubaker created with WS, BW, Sharon et al. That's why I would love to see him reconnecting with his English friends Spitfire and UJ. Before he goes for public opinion he should connect with long time friends ... Steve Rogers will be his own worse judge and jury on this last run being HydraCap. Will his friends accept him after this?

Bucky is a must in my opinion. I cannot see how Steve Rogers could ever recover from blaming himself for Bucky's death again.
    So hopefully we will see Bucky back as a part of Steve's redemption... how he recovers from Jack and Rick's death is beyond me.