Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Yea, cuz belonging to groups labeled privileged and explaining things to people is on par with nazism ... at least... it is according to some.
    I didn't read Waid's other runs so I'm not really sure what you meant, but Steve was literally a nazi though, so it just makes sense to explore how people view him after that.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well, not literally a Nazi, but certainly a sketchy figure.

"Make Captain America Great Again " is a good hook that I think Waid will be all over.

Extraordinary Member

I like Waid and I respect the fact that in Champions he's been willing to do political stories that take their lumps from both sides (even if they can be rather heavy-handed), but I can't say I'm wild about a writer going back to the scene of a past success. Even when he was deservingly re-assigned to Captain America after "Heroes Reborn" cut off his original run, the result wasn't quite up to the first run.

Still, he and Samnee are a great team.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I didn't read Waid's other runs so I'm not really sure what you meant, but Steve was literally a nazi though, so it just makes sense to explore how people view him after that.
    I think we're talking about separate things. =)
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post

looking forward to this!

THIS is my cap.

this is what marvel SHOULD be doing!!! and since they ARE, we can finally say " HEY Marvel!, nice! now go tell stories of Cap taking on Batroc the leaper! and such."

And what was wrong with Sam Wilson? Too dark for you? posted by extraordinary tycoon

wow WTF? why are you acting like an ass?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Only problem is with Waid writing the book Cap's adventures will be mostly just him checking his privilege and inventing terms like "cap-splaining" should he try to help someone.

See Waid's Daredevil run for evidence.
    I don't think you read that run, because there is NO occurrence AT ALL of what you are saying (bring exampleS if you want). More probably you read something (biased) about the recent Champions book by Waid (a book for a totally different and younger audience pushed via Scholastic) and applying it randomly to older works of him.

All-New Member

The only writer that would have made me pick up a Cap title after the last few years of Remender and Spencer was Waid. That said, he's going to have to put aside his political positions and just tell good stories. What I loved about both of his previous runs was the Kirby-esque sense of fun and adventure. That's been missing from the character since the early 2000s. While I loved Brubaker's stuff, I'm not sure it's what I'd call "fun."

I'd love to see Garney back on the book, too. If anyone's looking for some Waid Cap outside of his first two runs, check out Man Out Of Time.

Incredible Member

People who think the books always "return to status quo" obviously aren't talking to fans of the real Nick Fury, Namorita, Rich Rider, the classic New Warriors, or the Spider-Marriage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    People who think the books always "return to status quo" obviously aren't talking to fans of the real Nick Fury, Namorita, Rich Rider, the classic New Warriors, or the Spider-Marriage.
    Iconic characters who remain in constant publication for years on end usually do.

Nick Fury, Namorita, Rich Rider, and New Warriors don't fit that bill.

None of them are popular enough to have that kind of cyclical existence, where they get away from their classic model for a time and then go back to it.

And the Spider-Marriage was a change from the original status quo of a single Spidey.

A return to that would a return to a status quo that some fans liked but not a return to the original setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And the Spider-Marriage was a change from the original status quo of a single Spidey.

A return to that would a return to a status quo that some fans liked but not a return to the original setting.
    Well, you literally can't ever return to the "original setting" of Spider-Man without making him a teenager again.

The marriage lasted longer then his high school and teenage years ever did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, you literally can't ever return to the "original setting" of Spider-Man without making him a teenager again.

The marriage lasted longer then his high school and teenage years ever did.
    Point being, the marriage was a major change in Peter's status quo. He was single for many years and then he wasn't.

That it lasted for a good length of time before going away doesn't mean it's going to come back around again. Reinstating a marriage is a bit different than bringing back an old costume or a former occupation or an old base of operations or some other element that wouldn't entail so much baggage.

Why I have this sudden feeling about Steve Rogers being Captain America only for a short time and later growing a beard again!?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Waid + Samnee + classic costume = I'M SOLD!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

I am ready for this! Defintely on my pull list!
    Last edited by Mister BoMan; 07-25-2017 at 06:54 PM.

sounds kind of boring