Default Question about DC's worldbuilding

I extremely fascinated and 100% on board for Hickman's Dawn of X/Krakoa era of X-Men, and with it in full swing, it got me wondering; what would be DC's answer or equivalent to the Island nation of Krakoa? Does DC have any concepts that lends itself to that level of worldbuilding storytelling?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Just off-hand I'm thinking of all the stuff of the Snyder era Hall of Justice with the interconnectivity among Superheroes, all the history that's enthused in the displays, and all the mystic and wonder just bubbling under the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just off-hand I'm thinking of all the stuff of the Snyder era Hall of Justice with the interconnectivity among Superheroes, all the history that's enthused in the displays, and all the mystic and wonder just bubbling under the surface.
    true, I can see that, but the thing with Snyder is he's kinda like a big bang, he just explodes out all these fascinating story ideas, but a lot of what you're left with are just a bunch of free floating raw materials. the Life Force, Omega Titans, the Ghost Sector, immortal metahumans, the Dark Multiverse and all that other stuff, too many threads to connect, I feel DC would forget half of these elements. I was thinking something more cohesive (no offense to Snyder).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

If a bunch of LOSH members and Doom Patrol members got together and said f*ck it and just formed their own nation....that would be the closest thing I suppose.

The short lived New Krypton I guess? I think Geoff Johns wrote it and then other writers took over that Kryptonians came back, left earth, formed a new Krypton, remade civilization but made Zod in charge of stuff and the kryptonians had a problem with Superman.

It did not last long though, got destroyed pretty much immediately and then went to the grounded story arc and then we got new 52.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-29-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    true, I can see that, but the thing with Snyder is he's kinda like a big bang, he just explodes out all these fascinating story ideas, but a lot of what you're left with are just a bunch of free floating raw materials. the Life Force, Omega Titans, the Ghost Sector, immortal metahumans, the Dark Multiverse and all that other stuff, too many threads to connect, I feel DC would forget half of these elements. I was thinking something more cohesive (no offense to Snyder).
    I still say those count. Very strongly so, in fact. You just gotta make use of it and be consistent and fervent in doing so. (So no going half-way and no take-backsies.)

The original Legion, up through 5YL, had that kind of world-building.

Interplanetary governments, with whole planets sometimes having their own unique government make-up (such as Orando, which had a royal ruler and resembled a fantasy world with castles).

There was the Legion Constitution, the Legion Academy, the Science Police, the United Planets, the vote for Legion leader that readers participated in, the monitor screen with icons for each Legionnaire, and Interlac (a more visual language that was often used on signs and buildings in the stories -and Krakoan looks to be heavily inspired by it).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The original Legion, up through 5YL, had that kind of world-building.

Interplanetary governments, with whole planets sometimes having their own unique government make-up (such as Orando, which had a royal ruler and resembled a fantasy world with castles).

There was the Legion Constitution, the Legion Academy, the Science Police, the United Planets, the vote for Legion leader that readers participated in, the monitor screen with icons for each Legionnaire, and Interlac (a more visual language that was often used on signs and buildings in the stories -and Krakoan looks to be heavily inspired by it).
    Yeah, the Legion is probably the biggest example of large-scale and consistent world-building in the DCU.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Abnett spent some time in his Aquaman run trying to give Atlantis it's own history, factions, customs and geography. He put in some real foundational stuff that I hope sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I extremely fascinated and 100% on board for Hickman's Dawn of X/Krakoa era of X-Men, and with it in full swing, it got me wondering; what would be DC's answer or equivalent to the Island nation of Krakoa? Does DC have any concepts that lends itself to that level of worldbuilding storytelling?
    I don't think DC has such interconnection between its properties.

In fact, most of those works best when they are less connected to others, not more.

Even beyond some very questionable messages in the Dawn of X books, which I suspect are here to show us the corruption of Xavier's ideals more than anything else, it works because the X-Men can be largely secluded from the larger MCU and stands on their own.

I don't think DC ever invested in that kind of franchise, so I doubt it can be replicated.

Edit : The LOSH could work, I guess. But it being in the future makes the settings harder to sell to a lot of peoples, I suspect, who still wants "now" stories, with impact.
    Last edited by Korath; 03-04-2020 at 02:04 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Starman! How did I forget Robinson's Starman. He really worked hard on building up Opal City and it was pretty great. I highly recommend that run. One of DC's hidden gems and it's a rare example of a story that has a specific beginning, middle and ending. It has the kind of closure most superhero comics by nature cannot.