Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Terrifics!

Is it just me, or did this issue imply Tom Strong's Earth is in the Dark Multiverse?

I thought it was implied to be Earth 25 or 26, since Mr. Terrific said that it was at 25 wavelength from their Earth. But what makes you think it would be in the Dark Multiverse ?

For whatever reason, I thought it said 25 frequencies below, but I went and looked again, and you're right. He just says 25 from, placing it on Earth-25. Earth-26 is Captain Carrort's Earth, the former Earth-C.

Some information on the placement of Earth-25 based on the Map of the Multiverse: It is in the Pinnacle-Chaos quadrant, opposite Earth-31, the pirate climate change disaster Earth. It appears to have a direct line to Skylands and is part of the Light Arc, which is the white line arc beginning in the top left of the Map.

Another good issue, though I definitely miss Eaglesham.

It’s kinda meta that Swamp Thing (who now looks like Alan Moore) attacked Tom Strong as I’m sure Moore would be pissed that DC is using him in regular continuity.

Spoilers
    I guess it works that Java is Doc Dread since the villain first appeared in a Metamorpho comic. And Java’s scene with Saphire hinted that he had some hidden intelligence. Hopefully Element Dog gets his powers back when Rex inevitably turns back into Metamorpho.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Another good issue, though I definitely miss Eaglesham.

It’s kinda meta that Swamp Thing (who now looks like Alan Moore) attacked Tom Strong as I’m sure Moore would be pissed that DC is using him in regular continuity.
    '80s Moore vs '00s Moore. GrimMoore vs NeoMoore. You can't be moore, I mean, more meta.

Spoilers
    I guess it works that Java is Doc Dread since the villain first appeared in a Metamorpho comic. And Java’s scene with Saphire hinted that he had some hidden intelligence.
    Don't forget than Dr. Dread originally was a Metamorpho villian. This twist has been pretty much interesting. But,it is?

Hopefully Element Dog gets his powers back when Rex inevitably turns back into Metamorpho.
    Who cares if Rex regains his powers? Element dog is who really needs those abilities.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I agree it has been another enjoyable issue.

Admittedly, I do not read everything that DC publishes, but IMHO a case could be made that The Terrifics is DC's best written comic, carefully balancing intricate plotting with genuinely amusing bits. I laughed out loud at, after two pages of truly bizarre dialogue, Paul dropping the editorial footnote: "I swear this all makes sense if you read the last issue!"

I wish DC would push this book more. Wonder Woman is getting a push with Witching Hour. Aquaman is getting a push with Drowned Earth. But I can't remember the last time I even saw an ad for The Terrifics.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Enjoy this book. I am looking forward to when they move into their new headquarters. I would like the connection to be ended and have them be a team by choice not because they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Enjoy this book. I am looking forward to when they move into their new headquarters. I would like the connection to be ended and have them be a team by choice not because they have to.
    Halfway there. In issue #8 Mr. Terrific discovers that the Dark Energy bond that had been holding them together was gone. And I think they are setting the stage for the team continuing by choice because spoilers:
    in the current issue Tom Strong mentions to Terrific that Terrific's life must get lonely. Terrific's response ("I have my work") was lame, and the point was reinforced at the end of the issue with a wonderful panel showing Tom Strong being hugged by his wife and daughter, while Terrific is...just surrounded by his T-Spheres, the very picture of a lonely man. I fully expect in the next issue or two that Terrific himself will suggest to the team that they stay together.
    end of spoilers
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Halfway there. In issue #8 Mr. Terrific discovers that the Dark Energy bond that had been holding them together was gone. And I think they are setting the stage for the team continuing by choice because spoilers:
    in the current issue Tom Strong mentions to Terrific that Terrific's life must get lonely. Terrific's response ("I have my work") was lame, and the point was reinforced at the end of the issue with a wonderful panel showing Tom Strong being hugged by his wife and daughter, while Terrific is...just surrounded by his T-Spheres, the very picture of a lonely man. I fully expect in the next issue or two that Terrific himself will suggest to the team that they stay together.
    end of spoilers
    It does seem like they’re going that route. I think it’s a good character arc for Michael. He kind of reminds me of Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty, but without the alcoholism and complete lack of morality. The dimension hopping super genius who has to re-learn how to connect with humans. It’s funny that a future issue has Mr. Terrifics from across the multiverse, kinda like the Citadel of Ricks.

Preview for The Terrifics annual : https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-...fics-annual-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    This is the one written by Yang right? Can’t wait! Wish that guy was on another ongoing.

Called Java being Dread way back but now I can’t wait to see what happens next. Love that Dread has his on “Doombots”, the “Dread Drones”. I wish Eaglesham was on for longer but I’m sure he’ll kill it on Shazam.

Loved the ending to this first arc! A year in and they already feel like a family. And the family just got bigger.

Kinda hoping that Phantom Girl and Offspring become an item.

I still prefer the name Ms. Terrific over Mrs. Terrific but oh well.

Yes, the whole Doc Dread arc was a delight to read, with a satisfying finish. It will be interesting to see where the team goes from here, but I hope the new writer keeps the vibe of this most recent issue. And keeps having the team explore the Multiverse--it really is their niche and it would be nice if they were recognized as the Go-To team for anything dealing with the Multiverse.

It’s nice to have a big team with no Bat or Super characters on it. I enjoyed Lemire’s finale, felt very Silver Age to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Yes, the whole Doc Dread arc was a delight to read, with a satisfying finish. It will be interesting to see where the team goes from here, but I hope the new writer keeps the vibe of this most recent issue. And keeps having the team explore the Multiverse--it really is their niche and it would be nice if they were recognized as the Go-To team for anything dealing with the Multiverse.

Agreed. I'd like them to be, like you mentioned, the go-to team when it comes to the Multiverse.