Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Dude, it took him 100 issues to kiss Carlie.

Even by modern depiction, I wouldn't assume too much.

You're talking Slott, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I am sorry but no not all interpretations are as valid as others. What you are doing is ignoring what is on the actual page and has been confirmed by creators and editors since then to. If the words not spoken speaks volumes to you that is on you. If I choose to interpretate those missing words as him confession to being an alien that would not be as valid as others either.
    I'm trying to restrict the conversation to what WAS on the page, others are adding their words as if it were the holy word. When you talk about what "has been confirmed by creators and editors since then", you are adding something that WASN'T on the page. The only one who knows why JMS left those phrases open to interpretation, is JMS, and I choose to think it was because of what I said, because is the most human reaction, at least from a guy with a pretty big ego. If he were to come out and say now "no, I meant to say they didn't have sex", I would only take that as a peace offering to Marvel, looking for future employment. At the time, however, when wounds were fresh, he just left it open and physically left, when they interfered a second time. Take that as you may.

Nice try with the reductio ad absurdum and the alien thing, BTW.

Why are we getting so obsessed in proving that Peter and Gwen did (or did not) have an intimate relationship prior to her death in the 616 comics?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why are we getting so obsessed in proving that Peter and Gwen did (or did not) have an intimate relationship prior to her death in the 616 comics?
    Ship to Ship combat needs no logic or explanation. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The weird extrapolations people make with comics, that you don't see elsewhere, are just a pet peeve.

And they're oddly more prevalent when it comes to characters' sex lives. (Like "playboy" Peter and his two whole girlfriends in 10 years.)

The weird extrapolations people make with comics, that you don't see elsewhere, are just a pet peeve.
    As a Trekkie, I'm pretty sure comics don't have a monopoly on that.

And they're oddly more prevalent when it comes to characters' sex lives.
    What that, do you think?

(Like "playboy" Peter and his two whole girlfriends in 10 years.)
    I think that primarily stems from the OMD debate more than anything else.

Astonishing Member

Dude, it took him 100 issues to kiss Carlie.
    What a playboy!

Fantastic Member

sins past is alt universe, blue is canon

Chalk it up to an error at the printers ...

All in favor say aye

Kind of sad how good of a book blue is, but it would never make it into 616 for whatever reason - the team really did a great job

As for their physical relationship - I prefer to think Peter and Gwen were intimate - it's the only way a lot of her place in his world makes sense; it's just whatever villan put a pox on our heros memories hasn't been revealed yet. So we sit and wait for things to be set right ... Stewing in our nerd rage, logic and rapt attention to detail ...
    Last edited by Vixx; 07-25-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Fantastic Member

There is no way under all of creation that Felicia was Peter's first sexual partner ...

Maybe the first to say "leave the mask on.."

She'd eat. him. alive.

That's like a kid learning to ride a bicycle by taking the keys to dads Harley...

Felicia would be that one girlfriend that if he said her name today, the corners of his mouth would reflexively smile uncontrollably.m

Even Mephisto couldn't erase those memories.

I get we are asked to believe a lot ...hundreds of issues, all of the 60s and a chunk of the 70s flew by.... In New York.....at a newspaper..... With his circle of friends. He's Peter Parker, not Jimmy Olsen.

To be fair - the poor bloke just had his ex tell him his dead gf had twins around the time they dated ... Only other optiion was to bust out a few verses of "Wasn't me"
    Last edited by Vixx; 07-25-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Just thought I'd mention that phrases like "We never..." or "Did they..." where the obvious unstated conclusion is "have/had sex" is quite common in media, not just this particular Spider-Man comic. It generally doesn't imply anything other than the writer just not wanting the characters to say the word "sex" out loud.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

More to do with the 1960s and 1970s, where they were pushing relationships in main continuities of comics that were chaste, mostly flirting and kissing at best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    More to do with the 1960s and 1970s, where they were pushing relationships in main continuities of comics that were chaste, mostly flirting and kissing at best.
    What was allowed to be printed due to the comics code, and what the reality of the times dictated, as common sense, didn't exactly go hand in hand.

Fantastic Member

So in an informal retcon - where it's there, but we pretend it doesn't exist...

Do you toss out the whole book or just the icky parts?

Read many times that Sins is kind of a grey area - they don't write about it, we've moved on ...

If that's true - Peters comments go away too?

I always assumed they had this board in mind when adding that panel - kind of a "look guys, unless it's air tight the speculation will bury us ... If we say the DNA doesn't match it won't be enough .... I'm sure there's some freaking DNA rockstar that loves Gwen and Spider Man message boards whose science will haunt us for the next 30 years ..."
    Last edited by Vixx; 07-25-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

Shoot - I had a great article that translated 50s-80s code speak into an intended meaning for comics and magazine ads...for the life of me I can't place it...

They really did get away with a lot for the era...

Maybe Savage Land is the 1970s version of Friend Zone..
    Last edited by Vixx; 07-25-2017 at 03:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    That phrase can be finished in any number of ways, other than the most obvious one. It all depends on what you want to prove. Had JMS intended it to be a clear declaration, he would've kept going for a few words more.
    In the context of the story as published and taken in consideration the creative team never went to the trouble to clarify anything, you`re just wanting to read what you want to read.