Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    My kids adore lil' Gotham. It's really a charming funny all ages title.
    Aside from the stories my kids love the kooky colourful art style

Teen Titans GO is another fun title just for kids.
    I know may people hate TTG animated, but my little cousins love that. It's like their SpongeBob. The comics might be good introduction for them in the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I know may people hate TTG animated, but my little cousins love that. It's like their SpongeBob. The comics might be good introduction for them in the medium.
    My son like it and I must confess it does make me chuckle at times.

BANNED

An 8 year old can handle some fairly mature content, just show them any Batman or Batman spinoff book that isn't too violent. And by too violent I mean The Joker cutting off his own face or Stephanie Brown being tortured with a power drill. I'd let an 8 year old read anything less scary than that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    My son like it and I must confess it does make me chuckle at times.
    I'm guilty with that too.

I'm assuming part of the problem is DC doesn't feel an "all-ages" Batman comic book will sell well enough unless it's tied in to an animated / cartoon series. And CN doesn't seem to want anything to do with a new Batman animated / cartoon series unless it's going to sell a gazillion action figures even before they air the first episode.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if thats allready appropriate for an 8 year old, but DC is currently publishing collection of "Batman Adventures" and "Batman and Robin Adventures" which comics that are set in the universe of the Animated Series.

Of the current incontinuity series Gotham Academy, Super Sons and maybe Teen Titans should also be OK.
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-22-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not sure if thats allready appropriate for an 8 year old, but DC is currently publishing collection of "Batman Adventures" and "Batman and Robin Adventures" which comics that are set in the universe of the Animated Series.

Of the current incontinuity series Gotham Academy, Super Sons and maybe Teen Titans should also be OK.
    I don't read Teen Titans, but isn't that book rated "T= Teen" as opposed to "All-ages"? (And somehow I'm not sure if Ben Percy is the best example of a kid-friendly writer.)

Amazing Member

Li'l Gothamis the best Gotham.

Gotham Academy is also the best Gotham.

Both would be great for kids.

But also, yes. I too wish there were more kid-friendly Batbooks.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

We do have the Secret Hero Society series of prose/comic/illustration/document books that are Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolf's follow up to Lil Gotham. They're very sweet. And, of course, there's JL8.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't read Teen Titans, but isn't that book rated "T= Teen" as opposed to "All-ages"? (And somehow I'm not sure if Ben Percy is the best example of a kid-friendly writer.)
    Super Sons and Gotham Academy are also rated Teen.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Super Sons and Gotham Academy are also rated Teen.
    Super Sons opens with a kid murdering their family. I don't think it's super kid-friendly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Li'L Gotham by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs.
    Lil Gotham is definitely one of the best. I hate the term all ages or family comics but this is perfect, having a fun balance of good art, fun for the kids and references for batman fans. It avoids being condescending and thrives with that. Definitely get it- in fact I believe they are releasing an omnibus for it soon. Dustin Nguyen is a great artist and works well with Derek Fridolfs. Shame Derek went to more digital comics and Dustin mostly independent whilst working on descender and only making odd appearances elsewhere with variant covers ( super sons), short tales ( gotham academy) and the occasional graphic novel( superhero society).

Also GOTHAM ACADEMY Maps for years, not really a batman comic but everyone ever should read it anyway.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Honestly I read Supersons with my kids and they love it. I was going to a recommend it till I remembered that the recommendations were for the posters nephew not his son so he might not be there physically when the child reads it.

I preview each issue of this title 1st before reading it together with the kids.

The issue with Amazo's family I edited a bunch and didn't show them the panel [it wasn't graphic PG13 ] however @happyhuman might not be present to do the same so I left it off my list.

Aside from that one issue the book is prefect and it features characters aged 10 and 13. It has kid friendly dialogue, cartoony bright art and is page after page of pure fun with the kids of batman and superman.

If you read the books with him or if your nephew reads it with their parent then I would highly recommend it.

I still preview the content of each issue before reading with mine just to be safe.

All-New Member

Thank you everyone for your recommendations, I'll try to locate lil' Gotham comics for him

Quote Originally Posted by happyhuman View Post
    Thank you everyone for your recommendations, I'll try to locate lil' Gotham comics for him
    If you want, it has been collected into two tpb collections:

I believe it was also offered in a "digital-first" format, so it might still be available that way if it might be easier to deal with.