Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    BANNED

First of all, I highly doubt that when Marston created Diana 70 some years ago, he said to himself "I want her to be as strong as the 1942 version of the man of steel." Back in 1942, there was indeed just one version of the man of steel. If Marston were immortal, do you think he would have taken umbrage to her being equal in strength to the 2018 version?

The man who was a feminist way ahead of his time would have wanted her to evolve equally to the man of steel, which didn't happen exactly due to crazy old-school sexism, but there is nothing happy or nice about that... but to each his own.

I am not deciding how strong she is. I don't have that power, and neither do you. I had no hand in creating the recent issue by Rucka where a bullet went through her or ...
    You behave (as per ALL your previous comments) as if you have the authority to assert how strong she should be, and you don't because the fact remains, as AmiMizuno has posted, Diana has been shown to perform on the strength level of Superman more times than not. She is the one battling him when he is a mindless raging monster, and unless it is an elsewhere story, she never gets killed and she is always holding back. A bullet went through Diana? Alert the presses! She is NOT the woman of steel, and that is exactly how she was created to be. Why would she be as durable as Kryptonians if she has to deflect bullets and small projectiles on her bracelets? But that has nothing to do with her strength level. That has to do with how durable her skin is, and I am perfectly fine with bullets, or arrows, or knives, or wooden splinters temporarily hurting her, not killing her. She is not an alien from the planet Krypton so bullets won't bounce off her chest. However, as was shown in the DCEU, she is invulnerable to any type of blunt trauma (such as lightening, great explosions, punches from mindless aliens, being struck by a power mad god, etc), and this is consistent with the DCU as well. There were no power-ups; there was perhaps a restoration of power 30 years ago, but as AmiMizuno has proven, even back in 1977 they were fighting toe to toe. The fight was so intense that they moved it from the earth to the moon.

As for Supergirl, man, she has been whooped so many times by Diana, I am amazed that you even thought it was wise to bring her up. Even in the nu52 version of their characters, Diana was able to best her. Even the adult version of Kara (Power Girl) is no match for Diana; do you want me to start pulling out scans? I'd be more than happy to if the moderators would allow it. lol

...the pre-Crisis comics where Supergirl was canonically more powerful than her (and when Kara made it back to the post-Crisis era, Kryptonians had been powered down while Wonder Woman had been powered up, and neither was as consistently strong as pre-Crisis Kryptonians).
    First of all, nothing was considered canon during the pre-crisis age of comics: every issue nearly was inconsistent and plot devices were the order of the day. This wasn't exclusively a Diana problem. Pre-crisis, Kara and Diana pretended to fight, and this fight was hardly "canon."

I don't see why we wouldn't, as Jenkins is in charge.
    So Jenkins was in charge of Diana when she was able to grin during an all out knock-out battle with Doomsday? She was in charge of Diana when she was able to knock him off his feet and slice his arm off, or are you saying that Superman can only be portrayed as stronger than everybody else when Mr Whedon is writing the scene...

As I said, we will just have to wait until Wonder Woman II comes out...
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 02-28-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I doubt that Snyder's version of JL would have been any better honestly. And the fight was crap. All it showed was that the entire JL together wasn't good enough to beat Superman on his own. There was no reason why he should have overpowered Diana and Arthur that easily, and effortlessly overpowered the baddie that they were struggling with together as well.
    The only one I think is even up for debate is Diana. None of the other League members assembled save Barry should pose much of a challenge to an unleashed Superman, and Barry is a novice who barely knows how his powers work. There have probably been instances of Aquaman challenging Superman...but not too many that they change his status as the most powerful superhero to the casual audience.

The movie still sucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    You behave (as per ALL your previous comments) as if you have the authority to assert how strong she should be, and you don't because the fact remains, as AmiMizuno has posted, Diana has been shown to perform on the strength level of Superman more times than not.
    And you behave as if you have the authority to say that I cannot be a fan of this fictional character if I point out that Marston's intentions do not always mesh with what is actually published, even in his own run.

As for Supergirl, man, she has been whooped so many times by Diana, I am amazed that you even thought it was wise to bring her up. Even in the nu52 version of their characters, Diana was able to best her. Even the adult version Kara (Power Girl) is no match for Diana; do you want me to start pulling out scans? I'd be more than happy to if the moderators would allow it. lol
    You can, and I have no doubt you have them. Won't change the fact that Kryptonian power levels are hardly any more consistent than Diana's and that Post-Crisis Kara and Karen are not what they once were.

First of all, nothing was considered canon during the pre-crisis age of comics: every issue nearly was inconsistent and plot devices were the order of the day. This wasn't exclusively a Diana problem. Pre-crisis, Kara and Diana pretended to fight, and this fight was hardly "canon."
    Now who's dismissing evidence that they don't like? "Nothing was considered canon?" Are you kidding me? That's nonsense. They had a canon, particularly in the Bronze Age. Don't act like post-Crisis is any better with consistency. if anything, it has proven to be worse.

I also have the Phantom Zone mini which has Supergirl helping Diana destroy a barrage of missiles and is doing it with less effort. And she has an easier time with the Kryptonian foes (though Diana still manages to defeat one with the lasso). She also stood up to Mongul more easily.

So Jenkins was in charge of Diana when she was able to grin during an all out knock-out battle with Doomsday? She was in charge of Diana when she was able to knock him off his feet and slice his arm off, or are you saying that Superman can only be portrayed as stronger than everybody else when Mr Whedon is writing the scene...
    No, she was in charge of the movie that actually starred Wonder Woman and was the best received film in the DCEU so far, so I'm not at all concerned with what she does.

It's hard to determine how strong Diana is in relation to Superman in BvS. They could be equal, or he could edge her out. He did after all nearly get killed by Batman and a friggin nuke. She meanwhile was fresh as a daisy.

According to Deadline, Kristin Wiig is the current name WB is aiming for Cheetah. Random as hell, but I guess so was Heath Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    According to Deadline, Kristin Wiig is the current name WB is aiming for Cheetah. Random as hell, but I guess so was Heath Ledger.
    I think this make take the cake for most unconventional DCEU casting .

Although I doubt Patty would go with someone she wasn't confident could fulfill the role.

Though that being said I could've seen her as Circe since you can kind of play her a little more "zany."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this make take the cake for most unconventional DCEU casting .

Although I doubt Patty would go with someone she wasn't confident could fulfill the role.

Though that being said I could've seen her as Circe since you can kind of play her a little more "zany."
    I think you may be onto something here. Maybe a red herring.

Incredible Member

Once again, I'm going to try and remain positive and have faith in Patty Jenkins during the "rumour mongering" part of the development of Wonder Woman 2.

But, Wiig with her substantial and talented comedic background is not someone I easily envision for the feral, cunning, wild, tragic, menacing, conflicted and complicated role of Cheetah. Not to mention the ... physicality of the role with substantial acrobatic ability and flexibility to move like Cheetah on screen.

Perhaps Wiig could be a pleasantly surprising revelation IF she's even cast in the film and IF she's plating Cheetah, as opposed to a "comedic sidekick" for Diana similar to Etta Candy's role in the first film.

Ultimate Member

Comedy actors often end up being surprisingly good serious actors once given the chance. Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, John C. Reilly, Jack Black, etc being prime examples. Also even Tom Hanks started out doing a lot of more comedic roles early on.

BANNED

NO, just NO!!! After the mess that was 2016 Ghostbusters. Keep her far away from franchises with a fan base.

I’m first thinking of Rucka’s archeologist, Barbara. Totally could see her for this. HOWEVER...I’m not sure what she could do with Cheetah. She’s got talent, but Hm��. In Patty I trust.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I’m first thinking of Rucka’s archeologist, Barbara. Totally could see her for this. HOWEVER...I’m not sure what she could do with Cheetah. She’s got talent, but Hm��. In Patty I trust.
    Also thinking about how many times I’ve been wrong about casting before. I’m thinking that there had to be an audition process of sorts, where Patty saw something. And I trust her, completely. So now I’m thinking that this is destined to be an Oscar-winning performance for Kristen Wiig.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 03-01-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Once again, I'm going to try and remain positive and have faith in Patty Jenkins during the "rumour mongering" part of the development of Wonder Woman 2.

But, Wiig with her substantial and talented comedic background is not someone I easily envision for the feral, cunning, wild, tragic, menacing, conflicted and complicated role of Cheetah. Not to mention the ... physicality of the role with substantial acrobatic ability and flexibility to move like Cheetah on screen.

Perhaps Wiig could be a pleasantly surprising revelation IF she's even cast in the film and IF she's plating Cheetah, as opposed to a "comedic sidekick" for Diana similar to Etta Candy's role in the first film.
    Pretty much this. I mean, could she be a Tom Hanks, someone who started in comedy but has dramatic chops? Or is this another Richard Pryor in Superman III idea?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Kristen Wiig? seriously?! I know that they can do better than this. Melissa McCarthy as Giganta; wait for it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-28-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Mighty Member

I like Kristen being Cheetah it seems like a smart decision for Barbara Ann Minerva.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

David Thewlis as Ares was outside the box casting as well.

Kristen Wiig has done dramatic acting work before. I'm sure she can pull the role off.

Ultimate Member

She was really good in The Skeleton Twins and The Martian, which were more serious roles. Also her small but memorable and decidedly NOT comedic role in Mother! as well. She actually has a rather eclectic filmography overall.

Also comedy actors often are better at making the transition to drama than dramatic ones are to comedy. Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, John C. Reilly, heck even freaking Adam Sandler had a couple of pretty well-received dramatic turns (even if the movies didn't make a lot of money).