Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Interesting. I just hope this casting is a matter of Jenkins truly believing that she found the best actor for the role of Cheetah and not due to studio interference of any kind. I also hope that everyone keeps an open mind, especially following the uproar when Wiig was cast as a Ghostbuster and all the ensuing drama.

I am excited to see Diana battle Cheetah on the big screen, but I really hope that they do right by Cheetah and make sure she’s portrayed as an avatar for a god, with speed to rival The Flash and with really savagery and ferocity to diametrically oppose Diana’s compassion and restraint.
    I doubt they can go with the angle that the Cheetah has speed to rival the Flash since it was made clear that she didn't have the speed/reflexes to do that against Supes in the Justice League movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    She's mostly known for comedy, which is why people are hesitant.
    Let’s all remember that there was a time when people thought a guy that was a sitcom dad and a guy that played a gay cowboy couldn’t play Batman and Joker respectively. Hell, before she got the role as Wonder Woman all Gadot had to her name were the Fast and Furious movies but she ended up being perfect in the role.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

All-New Member

My first thought when you said sitcom dad was Bryan Cranston who went from Malcolm In The Middle to one of the best shows and characters of all time.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Let’s all remember that there was a time when people thought a guy that was a sitcom dad and a guy that played a gay cowboy couldn’t play Batman and Joker respectively. Hell, before she got the role as Wonder Woman all Gadot had to her name were the Fast and Furious movies but she ended up being perfect in the role.
    Yup. And Michael Keaton was known as a primarily comedic actor before Batman. Let's not forget he also managed to make the VULTURE: one of the most ridiculous villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery into a legitimately interesting and intimidating villain.

Yeah, this is why I'm not too worried. Patty Jenkins knows what she's doing. I'll start worrying if it becomes apparent that Wiig was chosen due to studio meddling or until I start seeing signs of a really bad performance. Not before.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

If the idea is to make us fall in love with Barbara so we’re heartbroken when she becomes Cheetah, then you probably couldn’t pick a better actress for the role. Plus, Wiig is already good with physical comedy, so with some Amazon Training, I bet she’ll be an Oscar contender.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Retired

I was going to remark that Wiig is 44, but then I remembered that Ben Affleck is 45, Robin Wright is 51 and Connie Nielsen is 52.

However, something I was going to post earlier, but then I decided not to, was that the current bunch of DC movies I think put the cart before the horse. By that I mean--in BATMAN V SUPERMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE and SUICIDE SQUAD--a lot of the history of the universe is already established before the movie begins. And while I like those movies, I think that may be one problem for the audience, because they don't get to see the rise of the heroes and villains (except in a few flashbacks).

Batman already has lived his life and seems close to retirement--being more like the Dark Knight Returns. And DC was projecting other movies, like Nightwing, that would have the same timeframe.

I think some people want to get in on the ground floor of a world and not just be told--well all this stuff already happened off screen. I think that's one thing people liked about WONDER WOMAN--it starts at the beginning. But even that was a flashback movie. We already had seen Wonder Woman a hundred years later and knew where she ended up.

That's part of the problem with hiring older actors like Affleck. They may be great for the role, but it means that the story can't begin with them in their youth. At least Gal Gadot can pull off looking like she's twenty-something.

Spectacular Member

First film Ares
    Second Cheetah

Good to see Patty follow the Perezs run
    This is what WW movie needed and that is why the first one success
    Although it will mix something from n52 and maybe WW2 will even mix something with rebirth
    The heart of the story will be come from Perezs run
    Patty believe in perezs story so I believe in her

However I dont believe in the cgi of DCEU…………

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Is the actress who is now playing cheetah a good actor ?
    Absolutely. She is mostly known as a fairly genius comedienne, but she has also shown great range as a dramatic actress. I would never, in 1000 years, thought of her for this role, however, I have 100% faith in Patty Jenkins, and if she saw her Cheetah in Wiig, then I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yup. And Michael Keaton was known as a primarily comedic actor before Batman. Let's not forget he also managed to make the VULTURE: one of the most ridiculous villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery into a legitimately interesting and intimidating villain.

Yeah, this is why I'm not too worried. Patty Jenkins knows what she's doing. I'll start worrying if it becomes apparent that Wiig was chosen due to studio meddling or until I start seeing signs of a really bad performance. Not before.
    Michael Keaton was not a comedian in the same way as Wiig. He was in some comedic movies. But his Bruce Wayne wasn't that drastic a departure from those former roles. He just happens to have a demeanor that can be interpreted as quirky or menacing, depending on the context. Wiig is more Jim Carey than Keaton,imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Michael Keaton was not a comedian in the same way as Wiig. He was in some comedic movies. But his Bruce Wayne wasn't that drastic a departure from those former roles. He just happens to have a demeanor that can be interpreted as quirky or menacing, depending on the context. Wiig is more Jim Carey than Keaton,imo.
    To be fair, she was also terrific and weirdly, darkly brilliant in Aronofsky's mother!, where she did a whole bunch of things I never expected her to do in a movie. That performance alone makes me think she'll be a terrific Cheetah.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Yeah, but Jim Carey has had serious roles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, but Jim Carey has had serious roles as well.
    Yeah, roles like Ace Ventura and the Mask made him famous, but he also did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Chri...ol_(2009_film) A lot of his roles (like Mr. Popper) mix drama and comedy to accentuate the humor by making it only happen at specific moments.

Fantastic Member

I do have an issue having Cheetah to be an even more powerful opponent than the Cheetah. The way I see it, Ares was weaker in that movie because of circumstances of his banishment. Cheetah should not be a match for an Olympian god, period.

A more formdiable threat would be Eris, whom upon knowing that his father was gravely injured, instead finished him off by abosorbing his remaining energy with hers...making her more powerful even than Ares. Being a goddess, she will be part warrior part magic user, a much more formidable threat than a Cheetah; symbolically people fear a bat more than a Cheetah...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    I do have an issue having Cheetah to be an even more powerful opponent than the Cheetah. The way I see it, Ares was weaker in that movie because of circumstances of his banishment. Cheetah should not be a match for an Olympian god, period.

A more formdiable threat would be Eris, whom upon knowing that his father was gravely injured, instead finished him off by abosorbing his remaining energy with hers...making her more powerful even than Ares. Being a goddess, she will be part warrior part magic user, a much more formidable threat than a Cheetah; symbolically people fear a bat more than a Cheetah...lol
    In recent iterations, Cheetah is god-powered too...just a different pantheon. She is Diana's counterpart this way.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post

Cheetah is a demigod like Diana. Also mortals being cursed into monsters and fighting heroes is everywhere in Greek myth. Combined with her close relationship with Diana, it's a more interesting route to take than Eris, who could just be a gender swapped Ares.