Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Also comparing it to BP doesn't really work because:

-Diana's origin story necessitates her leaving the Amazons to venture out into the world. This has always been true. I'm honestly impressed that we got as much with the Amazons as we did.

-While Wakanda is isolationist, they aren't completely cut off from the rest of the world like Themyscira is. They have spies in every country for example and they DO know what's going on elsewhere, they just usually don't concern themselves with it.

So it's a different set of circumstances. Also the time periods are different as well.

By many accounts, Jenkins had a lot of input in the story, and she IS the one in charge. She no doubt has way more power with the sequel, so I doubt she will have no say in what goes on in the script.
    If you go with the original, pre-COIE concept, the Amazons didn't have spies - they had the mystic mirror through which they watched the outside world. Sorta a super-spy

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    If you go with the original, pre-COIE concept, the Amazons didn't have spies - they had the mystic mirror through which they watched the outside world. Sorta a super-spy
    And even the New 52 had the idea that the Amazon sex raids were also quests to bring back knowledge and books from Man's World.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

"In addition to confirming the time period in which the film will be set, Jenkins teased that Wonder Woman 2 will find Diana facing the “temptations of the world” and an image of Cheetah appeared on screen when the director added that the Amazonian warrior will face “incredible odds.” The film will also feature Diana at “the height of powers,” with Jenkins stating that the sequel will raise the bar."

https://heroichollywood.com/patty-je...-sequel-1980s/

Basing off the quote, it sounds promising but idk. I'm pretty nervous about this film considering Cheetah's track record and how many times she's been jobbed and nerfed over the years. I have no idea why DC is pushing her as this big arch-nemesis for WW either. We'll see what happens I guess...
    Last edited by greymoon; 04-30-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    "In addition to confirming the time period in which the film will be set, Jenkins teased that Wonder Woman 2 will find Diana facing the “temptations of the world” and an image of Cheetah appeared on screen when the director added that the Amazonian warrior will face “incredible odds.” The film will also feature Diana at “the height of powers,” with Jenkins stating that the sequel will raise the bar."

Basing off the quote, it sounds promising but idk. I'm pretty nervous about this film considering Cheetah's track record and how many times she's been jobbed and nerfed over the years. I have no idea why DC is pushing her as this big arch-nemesis for WW either. We'll see what happens I guess...
    None of the comics in which she jobbed matter because the vast majority of the people buying tickets for this will have never read them, and never will read them. They don't know jack about Cheetah and have no biases either way towards her. There really is no reason for her to be nerfed in this film, because she's being built up as the primary antagonist, not a (baffling) cameo in a Batman or Catwoman comic.

Incredible Member

I have no idea why DC is pushing her as this big arch-nemesis for WW either. We'll see what happens I guess...
    Cheetah *could* be Diana's greatest and foremost arch-nemesis. IF treated right by DC and Patty Jenkins. As a starting point, Diana is a demigoddess / goddess and Barbara is infused with / corrupted by all of the powers of a god. So, they should be on roughly equal footing when it comes to super abilities, even if their abilities are a little different (e.g. extra-super speed for Cheetah).

Secondly, their stories can be emotionally connected. If Barbara is a close friend, best friend or romantic partner of Diana, then that makes Barbara's transformation into the Cheetah all the more dramatic and impactful. Especially if Barbara is driven to acquire the abilities of a god because of her relationship with Diana (i.e. because she feels inferior to Diana or is jealous of Diana's abilities). It also makes all of their fights more interesting because Diana wants to save her friend, whereas the Cheetah is driven by an irrational hatred of Diana.

Thirdly, their natures could be very different. Diana is an extremely skilled warrior, with the ability to quickly and easily kill most opponents, but Diana's compassion is stronger than her warrior instincts and she will do what she can to resolve battles peacefully and with minimum bloodshed. In contrast, Barbara is untrained and becoming the Cheetah fills her with bloodlust and a wild, feral and uncontrollable nature. It's a somewhat classic "chaos v order" battle.

I guess the Cheetah's ... "goals" are often a little undefined which is possibly what makes her appear to be a weaker arch-nemesis. But, the Joker just wants to cause chaos and that's meant to be enough to make him Batman's arch-nemesis. The Cheetah could want to return the world to a more primal and animalistic state. Or maybe her experience with Urzkartaga means that she hates all gods and wants to kill them all, including Diana. That could even be part of Urzkartaga's "plan" to ensure that it remains the sole living god on Earth. I'm sure others could come up with a bigger ... motivation / goal for the Cheetah which drives her actions and causes her to regularly come into conflict with Diana.
    Last edited by Agent 86; 04-30-2018 at 05:04 PM.

The Vulture was a gigantic joke in the Spider-Man comics. In the movie, however, they made him a scary badass. Past comic book performances mean nothing. It only takes one good writer with one good idea.

Also? Power is not everything. A nemesis doesn't have to be equal to, or greater than, the hero. On paper, Lex Luthor is no threat to Superman. He's still his most enduring enemy who has come closer to killing him than most of his more powerful enemies. The Joker can't match Batman's combat prowess. Doesn't matter.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Which version of cheetah should they go with?

Their own. Patty needs to design a version which works for her story and his memorable. She can cherry pick from the Cheetah history in comics and add her own spin to it. We have just seen with Thanos how a character can be radically different from his comic counterpart and yet be just as appealling. Perhaps even more fitting to the silver screen, if I'm being honest. No reason CHeetah couldn't do it, even if her fur will add a degree of difficulty to the whole CGI that Hulk and Thanos don't have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The recent Rebirth version Greg Rucka gave us, Diana's friend.

And it's all but confirmed that is how they will roll.

Incredible Member

Barbara Ann Minerva, respected and highly talented and adventurous archaeologist. Best friend (or more) to Diana.

Driven by a desire to become a goddess too leads Barbara to encounter a god, whether Urzkartaga or preferably Mafdet. Barbara obtains the power she desires, but at a terrible personal cost as she’s now driven by a wild and uncontrollable bloodlust. She also irrationally blames Diana for what happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Their own. Patty needs to design a version which works for her story and his memorable. She can cherry pick from the Cheetah history in comics and add her own spin to it. We have just seen with Thanos how a character can be radically different from his comic counterpart and yet be just as appealling. Perhaps even more fitting to the silver screen, if I'm being honest. No reason CHeetah couldn't do it, even if her fur will add a degree of difficulty to the whole CGI that Hulk and Thanos don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The recent Rebirth version Greg Rucka gave us, Diana's friend.

And it's all but confirmed that is how they will roll.
    I think Carabas and Korath have it down.

We already know they're going with Barbara Minerva, and it looks like they're going to at least draw inspiration from Rucka's Rebirth run.

Still? As Korath says, they should absolutely feel free to add some fresh elements to Barbara's character as well. It's worked very well in the movies in the past. As I said, the Vulture didn't even superficially resemble the character from the comics. Didn't matter. That was easily the best version of the Vulture that we've ever seen. Comic Thanos is different from the movie where he's easily the most complex villain the MCU has produced to date.
    They don't have to slavishly follow the comics with Barbara either. If someone has a really cool idea for her that isn't exactly standard fare, it should at least be strongly considered.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 05-01-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Infinity War minor spoiler removed

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I think Carabas and Korath have it down.

We already know they're going with Barbara Minerva, and it looks like they're going to at least draw inspiration from Rucka's Rebirth run.

Still? As Korath says, they should absolutely feel free to add some fresh elements to Barbara's character as well. It's worked very well in the movies in the past. As I said, the Vulture didn't even superficially resemble the character from the comics. Didn't matter. That was easily the best version of the Vulture that we've ever seen. Comic Thanos is different from the movie where he's easily the most complex villain the MCU has produced to date.
    They don't have to slavishly follow the comics with Barbara either. If someone has a really cool idea for her that isn't exactly standard fare, it should at least be strongly considered.
    Eh I'd still put Killmonger above him myself. But speaking of which, he also was changed substantially from the comics version and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Eh I'd still put Killmonger above him myself. But speaking of which, he also was changed substantially from the comics version and it worked.
    True. I forgot about him. Okay, so Thanos is #2, then.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

in most intriqued by what temptations of the world she is tempted by? does she buy a Nintendo and can't stop playing?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    in most intriqued by what temptations of the world she is tempted by? does she buy a Nintendo and can't stop playing?
    Ice cream! It's her secret weakness, as revealed in the origin film.