Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I thought she was going to learn how to fly in subsequent films? Have you given up on that? I know I did. We can't have a Superman clone in the Justice League. Way too redundant.
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other to me. But that has nothing to do with the Invisible Jet or Robot Plane. Superman should have his own spaceship. Abin Sur travelled in a spaceship despite having a power ring. The Thanagarian Hawks had their own spaceship and flying is their main deal.

People can walk under their own power--that doesn't stop them from using buses, trains, cars, bicycles and skateboards.

If Diana is going to have a supporting team--like she had in the first movie--then she'd be a bad leader if she flew away on her own and left the rest of them on the ground to walk. Having an airplane with stealth capabilties allows her team to do a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Patty tweeted...

"Quite a few people, including this headline, seem to be completely misunderstanding or making some pretty false assumptions based on one of many vague quotes I made about something I can't say ANYTHING about. Just wait. "

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/statu...47455515762690
    I was happy to read this! I think I know what she means...”great love story” doesn’t have to be referencing romantic love with a different man.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Mighty Member

I don't think fighting Cheetah will be considered one of those knock down fights. She has been portrayed more as a mid level street fighter for the most part that has even gotten knocked out by Batman in the comics. Unless she can lift buildings and show it, doubtful that fighting her will be seen as a crazy strength feat. I don't think many people that have seen her in animated films or comics gives her much respect.

She needs to fight a Mongul type character. Someone with comparable speed and probably stronger than her to show off her supposed best fighting skills in the DCEU. I have seen nothing in her solo movie or BvS or JL to show me why she is this incredible fighter with skills Bruce Lee would be envious of.

So...I would rather have her fight a Superman opponent, if only for a few minutes, to show she can hang with the big alpha male, although we know how a rematch would work out. Supes is the top dog, doesn't need teammates etc..... This we know and that is why the DCEU has become for me a horrible mess. I don't care if Supes is the most powerful of the hero's, but when they don't stand a chance against him as a team, why have a team and why have anyone but Supes star in the movies coming out?

I have no interest in seeing the Aquaman movie. The only vibe I got from him is surfer bro dude. Cyborg, if they make a solo, I will not watch because he is boring to me. Plus, his CGI looked bad, like a small version of a Transformer. And....I will take TV Flash over autistic movie Flash anyday.

I think going into a Wonder Woman story with the goal to prove anyone wrong is going to get a writer and the reader off to a bad start. Ive never liked stories about her that spent time trying to prove to everyone that she is powerful and the idea of Diana spending her time trying to prove her worth to a bunch of people (mostly men given who the JL is comprised of) seems to go against who she is. It's also pointless because the same people that use those bad moments to tell everyone that she is or shouldnt be written at a certain powerlevel are the same ones that call her feats of going toe to toe with Superman or Flash PIS. I think this mindset is one writers were trapped in during the silver-bronze age and its one that lead to her having all those bad stories because it was either Diana being underpowered or depowered or other writers wasting time trying to prove a point to people who already have their mind made up. I think instead they should just write the movie from the perspective that Diana is that strong and that fast and let it flow throughout the movie.

I think the same mentality goes for Wonder Woman's villains as well. Cheetah is meant to be basically a genius and, after Post Crisis, a physical match for Diana. If someone can't see that no matter how plainly you spell that out then thats on them and their biases or bad reading comprehension. If readers or even other writers are determined to misunderstand the story they are going to do just that because they want to and I don't think the story should suffer because of that.

And what is this about gadgets that you remarked about? I seriously hope it is not a invisible jet among other things. And I certainly hope she doesn't need some type of girdle to heighten her strength. All she should have is her lasso and bracers. I hate the sword and shield. She is strong enough to lift tanks but needs to use the sword at all times?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Hard pass on that damned invisible jet. Let it remain invisible and far away from WONDER WOMAN 2.
    I don't mean the girdle but I am talking about her sword, shield, jet, lasso, and etc. I don't think its about how strong she is but about her skillset. I didn't like it at first but it makes sense for her to go around armed like that because she is a h2h combatant and the best when it comes to using melee weapons. She can still punch and lift when she needs to but she's just smarter about it than most.

I love the invisible jet and think someone like her who deals with military and war having an invisible jet is very smart and as long as its tied to her and the Amazons I think it highlights just how smart and skilled she is to be able to operate some high tech like that. It doesn't have to look cheesy like it did when it was first made I think the Earth One story showed that it can be modernized to fit her better.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Cheetah can fight but with bad writing. I mean she should have won against Batman. A new love interested?

https://www.newsarama.com/37590-jenk...lar-story.html

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

You mean the same Doomsday that Wonder Woman could hold her own in a tug of war, but couldn't against Superman who only used one arm? The same Doomsday where Diana sliced off part of his arm yet couldn't do anything against a slow moving Steppenwolf? You mean the same Doomsday that Superman gave the killing blow and presumably did it all the while fighting off all the kryptonite poisoning in his system as well as the spear he had in his hand that was made of kryptonite?

Sorry, that was a far cry from the Doomsday that I have read in the comics. He looked more like the Abomination from the Edward Norton Hulk movie than the Doomsday from the comics.

Let me know when Diana uses her most skillful fighter status against an opponent of similar powers to hers, like Faora. Everything we have gotten from the powers to be at the DCEU has just been lip service.

Until then, all the good will her solo movie gave us has been completely upended in the latest movie she was in, Justice League. She was my favorite character, and that is why I pretty much exclusively post only on this board. Right now, because of the treatment she gets in that she is consistently misrepresented by the entire industry with respect to her powers, I think I just don't care much for her right now.

But hey, if you think she did an outstanding job against Superman and Steppenwolf, then we have seen two completely separate movies. I would think that Wonder Woman is probably your favorite character also, and given you have seen the movie in the theaters over 30 times as well as however many times you have seen it on blu-ray, that you would be one of the most vocal detractors about the disservice they did to Wonder Woman in the Justice League. If you don't think she and the rest of the League outright jobbed to Superman and Steppenwolf, then I honestly don't know what to say anymore to you to convince you otherwise.
    The definition of "jobbing" is when one combatant loses a fight in order to make the other combatant look good. The fight also has to be an easy win for the victor. Diana didn't fight Superman and she wasn't defeated by him. Not Jobbing. Diana didn't lose to Steppenwolf at all and she fought him on more or less even terms. She injured him. He didn't injure her. That's. Not. Jobbing.

She fought him exactly the same way she fought Doomsday. She hurt him. He never hurt her. At no point did it look like she was facing imminent defeat. She was in a tough fight against a strong combatant and she was doing just fine.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The definition of "jobbing" is when one combatant loses a fight in order to make the other combatant look good. The fight also has to be an easy win for the victor. Diana didn't fight Superman and she wasn't defeated by him. Not Jobbing. Diana didn't lose to Steppenwolf at all and she fought him on more or less even terms. She injured him. He didn't injure her. That's. Not. Jobbing.

She fought him exactly the same way she fought Doomsday. She hurt him. He never hurt her. At no point did it look like she was facing imminent defeat. She was in a tough fight against a strong combatant and she was doing just fine.
    I am afraid that myself, as well as many other posters on this forum, have said that she jobbed to both Superman and SW. At best, if you are a always sunny type of guy could you say that Wondy was even with SW. But if that was the case, why did Batman say they needed Superman to beat him? If Wondy and company was fighting him on even terms, as you say, why did they need Superman? It's because the writers wanted to make it abundantly clear that Superman was the only person that could get things done, and the Justice League was just in a holding pattern till he came along. That is, if you are always a sunny type of person.

Otherwise. She. Jobbed. To. Superman. And. Steppenwolf.

If you don't agree, why don't you make a poll and see what the consensus is. I am confident about which way the poll would turn out, are you?

Ultimate Member

She and Aquaman together couldn't beat Steppenwolf, whereas Superman handled him like he was nothing (seriously Steppenwolf couldn't land a single blow on Superman). And he even has that quip about "is this guy still bothering you," which made Arthur and Diana look even worse because Superman isn't taking the guy that they struggled with so much even remotely seriously.

Also Superman throws her atound like a ragdoll, and can hold her and Aquaman with one hand each and they cannot escape. Also apparently the film forgot about her supposedly-vaunted speed and "combat prowess" because she uses neither during either the Superman confrontation nor the Steppenwolf fight.

Honestly the entire JL jobbed out just to make Superman look good (it's just that she came out of it looking especially bad since we have TWO previously films showing how her skills SHOULD be characterized, which they weren't in JL). I mean even the whole point of the team is rendered moot.

BVS: "Lets put together a team to defend the world in Superman's absence."

JL: "Ok we've put the team together, now lets got bring back Superman without even trying to do things ourselves first. Because clearly he's the key to everything now."

You cannot screw up much more than if you make the team who's NAME IS IN THE TITLE look superfluous next to ONE guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    She and Aquaman together couldn't beat Steppenwolf, whereas Superman handled him like he was nothing (seriously Steppenwolf couldn't land a single blow on Superman). And he even has that quip about "is this guy still bothering you," which made Arthur and Diana look even worse because Superman isn't taking the guy that they struggled with so much even remotely seriously.

Also Superman throws her atound like a ragdoll, and can hold her and Aquaman with one hand each and they cannot escape. Also apparently the film forgot about her supposedly-vaunted speed and "combat prowess" because she uses neither during either the Superman confrontation nor the Steppenwolf fight.

Honestly the entire JL jobbed out just to make Superman look good (it's just that she came out of it looking especially bad since we have TWO previously films showing how her skills SHOULD be characterized, which they weren't in JL). I mean even the whole point of the team is rendered moot.

BVS: "Lets put together a team to defend the world in Superman's absence."

JL: "Ok we've put the team together, now lets got bring back Superman without even trying to do things ourselves first. Because clearly he's the key to everything now."

You cannot screw up much more than if you make the team who's NAME IS IN THE TITLE look superfluous next to ONE guy.
    Cannot agree more with you!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think fighting Cheetah will be considered one of those knock down fights. She has been portrayed more as a mid level street fighter for the most part that has even gotten knocked out by Batman in the comics. Unless she can lift buildings and show it, doubtful that fighting her will be seen as a crazy strength feat. I don't think many people that have seen her in animated films or comics gives her much respect.

She needs to fight a Mongul type character. Someone with comparable speed and probably stronger than her to show off her supposed best fighting skills in the DCEU. I have seen nothing in her solo movie or BvS or JL to show me why she is this incredible fighter with skills Bruce Lee would be envious of.
    Cheetah isn't considered a mid-level street fighter by the general audience who will make up the majority of ticket sales. She isn't considered much of anything by them either way, they know so little about her. And none of them have ever read a random comic where Batman punches her, so that hardly matters. If the film does a sufficient job of exploring her character and origin, and her God-given power set along with her intellect, she will be fine. She is already faster than Diana and durable enough to take some hits; that along with the tragic backstory of Rebirth (if they go with that one) and her knowledge of dangerous relics and willingness to pillage them makes her dangerous.

She doesn't really have a Mongul type character in her rogues gallery, and bringing in villains from Superman's or other heroes rogues galleries is a very bad idea. The WW franchise is rich and untapped in other media, it would defeat the purpose entirely to smother it with guest stars. It would basically be WB/DC throwing up their hands and giving up on her before really trying, and all to prove some point that only comic nerds care about. And not worth it when it means costing us some great potential roles for women (Cheetah, Circe, Veronica Cale, Dr. Cyber, etc.).

Ultimate Member

Yeah Cheetah isn't nearly a well-enough known character for audiences to have firm pre-conceived notions about her. So if they portray her well, then I don't thin that many in the GA would have much of a problem buying her as a "heavy hitter" in the DCEU.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Cheetah isn't considered a mid-level street fighter by the general audience who will make up the majority of ticket sales. She isn't considered much of anything by them either way, they know so little about her. And none of them have ever read a random comic where Batman punches her, so that hardly matters. If the film does a sufficient job of exploring her character and origin, and her God-given power set along with her intellect, she will be fine. She is already faster than Diana and durable enough to take some hits; that along with the tragic backstory of Rebirth (if they go with that one) and her knowledge of dangerous relics and willingness to pillage them makes her dangerous.

She doesn't really have a Mongul type character in her rogues gallery, and bringing in villains from Superman's or other heroes rogues galleries is a very bad idea. The WW franchise is rich and untapped in other media, it would defeat the purpose entirely to smother it with guest stars. It would basically be WB/DC throwing up their hands and giving up on her before really trying, and all to prove some point that only comic nerds care about. And not worth it when it means costing us some great potential roles for women (Cheetah, Circe, Veronica Cale, Dr. Cyber, etc.).
    Much better stated than what I tried to say
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-02-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Bringing in Superman villains just further emphasizes the perception that she's "inferior" to him. "Look at her, they cannot even use her own rogues in these films. They have to pawn Superman villains off on her" and all that stuff.

Bringing in Superman villains just further emphasizes the perception that she's "inferior" to him. "Look at her, they cannot even use her own rogues in these films. They have to pawn Superman villains off on her" and all that stuff.
    It doesn't have to be superman villains, but the Cheetah just isn't impressive to me by herself.

Bring in someone like Soloman Grundy or some other behemoth that is a known quantity but isn't necessarily tied to being another hero's villain.

Hell, they should just depower her (not unheard of ) and have her fight Lady Shiva. At least we can see if the lip service of her being the best fighter isn't just lip service!

Ultimate Member

Solomon Grundy is a far less impressive villain than Cheetah. Again bringing in "outside villains" for Diana to fight, and it doesn't matter if they're tied to one specific hero or not, just reinforces the idea that her mythology is "inferior," which is the LAST thing that DC/WB/Patty Jenkins should be doing right now.

Also the idea that "depowering her so that she can fight Lady Shiva, who's generally a Batman enemy" is somehow a better option than giving her another god-like being (which Cheetah is) to fight is something that I disagree with 100%.

Solomon Grundy is a far less impressive villain than Cheetah. Again bringing in "outside villains" for Diana to fight, and it doesn't matter if they're tied to one specific hero or not, just reinforces the idea that her mythology is "inferior," which is the LAST thing that DC/WB/Patty Jenkins should be doing right now.

Also the idea that "depowering her so that she can fight Lady Shiva, who's generally a Batman enemy" is somehow a better option than giving her another god-like being (which Cheetah is) to fight is something that I disagree with 100%.
    Of course I am giving examples which are just that, examples. They don't have to be shot down but taken in context that she doesn't have an impressive rogue gallery. People see some massive Hulk like figure and they will know immediately that it is a threat and only someone like a Wonder Woman can take it on.

As far as the Lady Shiva remark, I was being facetious since they have depowered Wonder Woman (lack of flight) and her jobbing in the Justice League movie didn't do her any favors. They may as well depower her and fight Lady Shiva. But, substitute Lady Shiva and call the person Bruce Lee. It doesn't matter, we just need to see that it isn't actual lip service about her being the best melee fighter in the DCEU.

What are the big Mongul types that we can call Wonder Woman villains?