Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Neither of those make her stupid. The Ares one especially, why wouldn't she have gotten that wrong? Who seems most likely to be the God of War that her mother and aunt told her about:

-The psychotic power-mad general/war-monger who talks about how great war is and gasses entire villages just to prove a point.

OR:

-The not physically imposing at all-looking British aristocrat who walks with a cane and is constantly talking about wanting peace and who already "helped" them once before?

The fact that she got it wrong doesn't make her stupid, Ares just picked the perfect disguise to hide in plain sight with. No one suspected him.

Also "age" does not always equal "experience." Diana's age is irrelevant when it comes to understanding the outside world because, well she's never been there and all she knows about it is what the other's tell her (and they don't know much either). Again, doesn't make her stupid.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Also, with regard to her belief that Luddendorf was Ares? (Not "Aries." That's the goat from the Zodiac.)

While she was dancing with him and he's droning on about how awesome war is, at one point the camera rotates to Diana's POV and you can see Luddendorf's head perfectly aligns with a set of horns mounted on a wall.

Keep in mind that the Ancient Greeks were BIG believers in signs, portents, and omens. There's no way Diana could NOT have believed he was Ares at that point.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Also? I didn't see Diana trying to brush her hair with a fork at a formal dinner, do I'd say the "Ariel" comparisons are a bit exaggerated.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    What does everyone think of Alyssa Sutherland for Cheetah? or maybe Kerry Washington since Scandal ends next year.
    I'll always see Sutherland as Aslaug. I only know her from that show, but she didn't really impress me. Though that may be due to the writing because it seemed like the writers had no idea what to do with her.
    She definitely has the look for her.

It would be interesting to hear Kerry do a English accent, but I kind of want her to be Vixen, if they ever let her appear in a film.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I'll always see Sutherland as Aslaug. I only know her from that show, but she didn't really impress me. Though that may be due to the writing because it seemed like the writers had no idea what to do with her.
    She definitely has the look for her.

It would be interesting to hear Kerry do a English accent, but I kind of want her to be Vixen, if they ever let her appear in a film.
    I kinda can see Kerry as vixen but no matter what DC needs to sweep her up before marvel finds a way to use her.

Honestly i didnt put much thought into Sutherland besides looks. Ive only seen so much of her on vikings but I though since she was in a sikilar setting (swords and shields) thatd itd be interesting to see how she handled being in the ww franchise

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    They played the whole "Ariel on land" thing too much and she kept pushing that Aries needed to be stopped and then got it wrong who he was pretending to be. Even compared to the other Amazons she didn't seem the brightest bulb in the box.
    I respectfully disagree. Based on the knowledge provided to Diana, including the historical stories told to Diana since childhood, it made sense for her to believe that the General was Ares. The movie did everything in its power to set the General up as being Ares, including giving him "super" powers, dialogue about the Greek gods, etc. The reveal that Ares was the kindly, English gentleman arguing for peace was meant to be a surprise for Diana and the audience. It's arguable whether or not the twist was evident to the audience, but I don't believe that Diana was stupid in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Based on the knowledge provided to Diana, including the historical stories told to Diana since childhood, it made sense for her to believe that the General was Ares. The movie did everything in its power to set the General up as being Ares, including giving him "super" powers, dialogue about the Greek gods, etc. The reveal that Ares was the kindly, English gentleman arguing for peace was meant to be a surprise for Diana and the audience. It's arguable whether or not the twist was evident to the audience, but I don't believe that Diana was stupid in any way.
    I'm still a bit saddened by the fact that there were so many spoilers out regarding Thewlis playing Ares. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out twists, but I can't say if I would have caught this one since I already knew in advance.

I'm hoping to see more of the history of the gods cropping up in WWII, and more Amazons, if only in flashbacks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Also? I didn't see Diana trying to brush her hair with a fork at a formal dinner, do I'd say the "Ariel" comparisons are a bit exaggerated.
    she rescued a man who fell into the sea, dragged him to shore, then went to live in "his world" and even had a scene where she didn't know how to behave while wearing new clothes, the ice cream scene, she fell in love with him while they danced...it isn't 100% but enough that you can draw parallels.

Compared to how Diana has been depicted in previous incarnations Gal's version came off as more as a dumb brute. Whether it was the acting, the script, or both...it wasn't the best version of Diana.
    Last edited by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost; 12-06-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Mighty Member

she rescued a man who fell into the sea, dragged him to shore, then went to live in "his world" and even had a scene where she didn't know how to behave while wearing new clothes, the ice cream scene, she fell in love with him while they danced...it isn't 100% but enough that you can draw parallels.

Compared to how Diana has been depicted in previous incarnations Gal's version came off as more as a dumb brute. Whether it was the acting, the script, or both...it wasn't the best version of Diana.
    The little mermaid parallels were definitely on purpose but most of these things always show up in her comics so im not sure what it is about this version you dont like
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.

They played the whole "Ariel on land" thing too much and she kept pushing that Aries needed to be stopped and then got it wrong who he was pretending to be. Even compared to the other Amazons she didn't seem the brightest bulb in the box.

For someone who is supposed to be centuries old she played it really young. Lynda Carter had a better grasp of WW.

There's "fish out of water" and then there's straight up childlike innocence.
    I'm pretty sure she wasn't centuries old in her movie. And even if she were, she had little in the way of experience at the time.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Dumb brute? Damn.

I think they were going for naïve, sheltered tomgirl rather than stupid musclehead. At least it didn't come off like the Golden Age stories where it felt like Bewitched.

Wow. I couldn't disagree with your assessment more. It's almost like you didn't see the movie or something. Weird.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

WOW! Kate McKinnon's Gal Gadot impression...WOAH!!

https://www.timesofisrael.com/kate-m...ot-impression/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The little mermaid parallels were definitely on purpose but most of these things always show up in her comics so im not sure what it is about this version you dont like
    The intelligence wasn't there. It was more than just being naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure she wasn't centuries old in her movie. And even if she were, she had little in the way of experience at the time.
    So Zeus only created her a few decades before WWI? That doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Dumb brute? Damn.
    I think they were going for naïve, sheltered tomgirl rather than stupid musclehead. At least it didn't come off like the Golden Age stories where it felt like Bewitched.
    WW has ALWAYS been a very good strategist and this one just went charging into battle. She lead with her emotion instead of her head which isn't what you'd expect from WW or someone raised by the Amazons. She had came off more like Barda.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Wow. I couldn't disagree with your assessment more. It's almost like you didn't see the movie or something. Weird.
    I actually saw it twice. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to be nasty.

I've loved Wonder Woman since I was a kid...between Lynda Carter reruns, Justice League cartoons, and comics I pretty much grew up with very strong depictions of WW and Gal's version just wasn't the best.

The intelligence wasn't there. It was more than just being naive.

So Zeus only created her a few decades before WWI? That doesn't make sense.

WW has ALWAYS been a very good strategist and this one just went charging into battle. She lead with her emotion instead of her head which isn't what you'd expect from WW or someone raised by the Amazons. She had came off more like Barda.

I actually saw it twice. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to be nasty.

I've loved Wonder Woman since I was a kid...between Lynda Carter reruns, Justice League cartoons, and comics I pretty much grew up with very strong depictions of WW and Gal's version just wasn't the best.
    Not meant to be nasty...I should have said "it's almost like you were watching a different movie."

Gal was brilliant (all 40 times I saw it in the theater.) Her characterization was very much in line with Lynda Carter's portrayal in the first season of the TV show. But even better, because of the extra gravity added to the story here.

And it's worth noting...if Gal Gadot was able to convince you on screen that she was dumb or a brute, then she deserves that Oscar even more than I previously thought. Couldn't be further from who she is as a person.