Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    The intelligence wasn't there. It was more than just being naive.
    She was a polygot who knew advanced chemistry so she was definitely intelligent. Did you just not like her personality?

Retired

It seems like you either get caught in Gal Gadot's spell or you don't. I can't stand to see John Campea talk about her anymore. He decided years ago that she wasn't a good actress and every time he talks about her, he sticks to that belief.

But at many showings of WONDER WOMAN, I could just feel the audience fall in love with her. Obviously, it takes the right director to capture that performance, but theres's something about Gadot on screen that's magical. We love her and we want the best for her and everything she does commands our attention.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm still a bit saddened by the fact that there were so many spoilers out regarding Thewlis playing Ares. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out twists, but I can't say if I would have caught this one since I already knew in advance.

I'm hoping to see more of the history of the gods cropping up in WWII, and more Amazons, if only in flashbacks.
    I would have, but only because I've seen a lot of movies. So it's like "well the never showed Ares's face in the flashbacks, so they obviously want what he looks like to be a mystery. And they're laying it on REAL thick with Ludendorff here, too thick. They wouldn't make it this obvious, so it's probably not him. Well then, there's only one other person that it could logically be then."

But judging by the reactions to the reveal in the theatre that I went to, most of the audience didn't see it coming (or at least not until right before it was revealed).

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I would have, but only because I've seen a lot of movies. So it's like "well the never showed Ares's face in the flashbacks, so they obviously want what he looks like to be a mystery. And they're laying it on REAL thick with Ludendorff here, too thick. They wouldn't make it this obvious, so it's probably not him. Well then, there's only one other person that it could logically be then."

But judging by the reactions to the reveal in the theatre that I went to, most of the audience didn't see it coming (or at least not until right before it was revealed).
    I didn't know the two actors by name, so I had no idea...like, the first four times I saw it!

(kidding. Just the first

two

kidding again

just the first.)
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Originally I wasn’t a fan of them doing yet another period piece but now I’m totally on board. Showing that Diana has been fighting for humankind for 100 years and not sulking and “turning her back” like in Snyder’s vision would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Originally I wasn’t a fan of them doing yet another period piece but now I’m totally on board. Showing that Diana has been fighting for humankind for 100 years and not sulking and “turning her back” like in Snyder’s vision would be great.
    She was in the background still fighting the fight. (In Snyder's version)
    Richard Alexander

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    she rescued a man who fell into the sea, dragged him to shore, then went to live in "his world" and even had a scene where she didn't know how to behave while wearing new clothes, the ice cream scene, she fell in love with him while they danced...it isn't 100% but enough that you can draw parallels.

Compared to how Diana has been depicted in previous incarnations Gal's version came off as more as a dumb brute. Whether it was the acting, the script, or both...it wasn't the best version of Diana.
    The clothes? Those things were utterly alien to the style of clothing with which she was familiar. If I dropped you into the middle of a culture whose clothing in no way resembled your own, I'd expect you to have some slight difficulties as well.

The ice cream scene? What of it? She tried a new food she'd never had before and really liked it. Her reaction was not at all dissimilar to my own the first time I tried sushi.

Dumb brutes don't glance at a chemical notebook and instantly understand exactly what it means. Dumb brutes don't use logic and reason to convince her mother to take action against Ares. Dumb brutes don't spare horrible psychopaths when given the opportunity to strike them dead.

You want to see Wonder Woman as a dumb brute? Look no further than the Justice League cartoon. First season, at any rate. She got better in later seasons, but not that much.

Movie Diana was kind, compassionate, brave (willing to abandon the only life she'd ever known to save a bunch of total strangers,) and wise. She had a few social faux pas when she encountered a society utterly unlike anything she'd ever known. Nothing about that says "stupid" or "dumb brute."
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Glad I'm not the only one who found Diana's behavior and personality to be downright dumb & childish in WW. Even, to a lesser extent, she still acts ignorant in the modern era.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who found Diana's behavior and personality to be downright dumb & childish in WW. Even, to a lesser extent, she still acts ignorant in the modern era.
    How was she dumb and childish?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    How was she dumb and childish?
    Pretty much all the points White Queen pointed out before.

There's dumb and there's naive, and she just came off more like the former. I mean I hate to bring the MCU into this, but since that's the best comparison, I'll say look at Thor for a good example of naive. Comparatively, Diana just seems very childish to me. She doesn't act like a fish out of water, she just straight up acts like a child, even back on Themyscira. Somebody 5000 yrs old should have a sense of tact and maturity to them, and she had none of that whatsoever.

Look ni further than how she handles the Germans attacking Themyscira, versus how her Amazon sisters do. They are all as baffled by all that was going on at the time, but they buckled up and fought. She was pretty much a deer in headlights.

Overall, the story and character was written too much in line with Little Mermaid, and for that reason, I understand why it resonates with most people so well. But, as someone who has read Wonder Woman comics, she simply isn't my Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 12-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.

There's dumb and there's naive, and she just came off more like the former. I mean I hate to bring the MCU into this, but since that's the best comparison, I'll say look at Thor for a good example of naive. Comparatively, Diana just seems very childish to me. She doesn't act like a fish out of water, she just straight up acts like a child, even back on Themyscira. Somebody 5000 yrs old should have a sense of tact and maturity to them, and she had none of that whatsoever.

Look ni further than how she handles the Germans attacking Themyscira, versus how her Amazon sisters do. They are all as baffled by all that was going on at the time, but they buckled up and fought. She was pretty much a deer in headlights.

Overall, the story and character was written too much in line with Little Mermaid, and for that reason, I understand why it resonates with most people so well. But, as someone who has read Wonder Woman comics, she simply isn't my Wonder Woman.
    Thor? The guy who started an interplanetary war over a minor slight?

Diana had zero experience in battle compared to the other Amazons. That was why she was taken by surprise. Hell, she had zero experience of anything outside the island. She'd never even seen other children before.

Mighty Member

If I remember Thor correctly he and Diana had pretty much similar stories as the other except she cared much more about humanity. If anything he was more childish than Diana since he was much more arrogant and entitled. Every reaction Diana had in the movie had a reason behind it and the movie did a good job of showing her pov.

I wont waste time pulling out examples because Im sure you still wont like her but Im not understanding what about her was different than her comics or made her so unlikable. She's just as naive about mans world in her comics and she is always standing up for what she believes no matter the consequences.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-06-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Thor had centuries of real-world experience under his belt. He knew the ways of the world and he'd been out in the world. He was NOT naïve. He was a self-absorbed jerk who cared only for his own glory and, as Agent Z points out, started an interplanetary war over a trivial slight.

"Deer in headlights?" Diana had literally NEVER been in combat before. She froze up for all of three seconds and then she sprang into action and started kicking ass like everyone else. THAT'S naivete. THAT'S being unclear on what to do in a situation with which she had no experience.

Just about every version of Wonder Woman outside of Injustice starts off naïve and unlearned in the world in which she enters. Just about every version of Wonder Woman needs time to learn how to become the hero she eventually becomes.

I can't imagine which version of Wonder Woman is "your" Wonder Woman.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Thor? The guy who started an interplanetary war over a minor slight?
    That says more about his personality than we saw of Diana's all movie. She was a passenger in her own movie, and had Chris Pine not been as good as he is, Gal Gadot's acting would have suffered as Diana's character was entirely reactionary. The titular character should never be entirely reactionary in their own movie. Thor's actions influenced events just as much as he reacted to them, compared to Diana who was just along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana had zero experience in battle compared to the other Amazons. That was why she was taken by surprise. Hell, she had zero experience of anything outside the island. She'd never even seen other children before.
    She was not she was tsken by shock because she was ambushed and in her first real battle. Also an amazom had just died before her eyes for the first time.
    *sigh* How'd I know you'd choose to focus on the directive choices, when I'm focused on the narrative choices. Never did I say Diana's reactions weren't justified, so I'm not even going to entertain further talk of that. Now try and stay with me: I'm saying the narrative shouldn't have been such to begin with.

Little Mermaid was in fact only 14-16 I believe, the fish out of water narrative befits that age, not a thousands of years old grown woman who has mastered enough subjects and concepts that certain aspect of Man's culture shouldn't be entirely abstract. Math, economics, etc are also taught for real-life application, and many people who didn't acquire these skills can observably be seen to lack fundamental interactive skills.

I mean, everytime she experiences a new culture is she going to go about acting like a completely tactless and ignorant child, who can't understand the basics of reservation in the face of new information. A grown person goes to a NASA base and doesn't know about anything there, so they take a reserved, tactful approach and learn before acting. Whereas a child would be quick to touch and push anything they see, which was essentially Diana's behavior.

What WW comics have you read where Diana wasnt naive or didnt react to exteme violence.
    Glad you asked. Perez's Wonder Woman was very much like this one in fact. But know what the main difference is? She wasn't 5000 bloody yrs old.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 12-06-2017 at 11:48 PM.

That says more about his personality than we saw of Diana's all movie. She was a passenger in her own movie, and had Chris Pine not been as good as he is, Gal Gadot's acting would have suffered as Diana's character was entirely reactionary. The titular character should never be entirely reactionary in their own movie. Thor's actions influenced events just as much as he reacted to them, compared to Diana who was just along for the ride.
    Diana ALWAYS starts out reactionary! How can she not? Is she supposed to wake up one fine morning and just decide to strike out for Man's World? She has to react to Steve's arrival on the island. This motivates her to take him home and begin interacting with the outside world. Once out there? She made all her own decisions. Even the bad ones.

*sigh* How'd I know you'd choose to focus on the directive choices, when I'm focused on the narrative choices. Never did I say Diana's reactions weren't justified, so I'm not even going to entertain further talk of that. Now try and stay with me: I'm saying the narrative shouldn't have been such to begin with.

Little Mermaid was in fact only 14-16 I believe, the fish out of water narrative befits that age, not a thousands of years old grown woman who has mastered enough subjects and concepts that certain aspect of Man's culture shouldn't be entirely abstract. Math, economics, etc are also taught for real-life application, and many people who didn't acquire these skills can observably be seen to lack fundamental interactive skills.
    Thousands of years of life in a highly controlled environment and a lot of book learning do NOT take the place of real-world experience. You can read all the books in the world about how to act in a given setting. When that setting finally arrives? A little hesitation is perfectly normal and to-be-expected. This goes triple for any situation in which adrenaline comes into play. That stuff is not exactly known for promoting clear-thinking.

I mean, everytime she experiences a new culture is she going to go about acting like a completely tactless and ignorant child, who can't understand the basics of reservation in the face of new information. A grown person goes to a NASA base and doesn't know about anything there, so they take a reserved, tactful approach and learn before acting. Whereas a child would be quick to touch and push anything they see, which was essentially Diana's behavior.
    You mentioned Perez's Diana. She did all the same things you describe here. Also? A movie in which Diana silently stands around asking obvious questions about the world in which she now lives would be hella boring to watch.

Glad you asked. Perez's Wonder Woman was very much like this one in fact. But know what the main difference is? She wasn't 5000 bloody yrs old.
    1.) We have no idea how old Perez's Diana was, precisely. We know she was born some time after the Gods sent the Amazons to Paradise Island. That's a several thousand-year window in which Diana may have been born.

2.) The movie did NOT establish that Diana was 5000 in this universe either. All we have to go on that is A) those interviews in which that number was tossed around, and B) the logical deduction that Diana was born shortly before Zeus's death, which appeared to be thousands of years ago.

3.) Once again: all the years of living in the world don't replace life experience.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--