Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Retired

For Cheetah, I expect a lot of gymnastic stunt work, and I realize a stunt woman will do most of that, but it helps the suspension of disbelief if the actor looks like someone who could do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And you behave as if you have the authority to say that I cannot be a fan of this fictional character if I point out that Marston's intentions do not always mesh with what is actually published, even in his own run.

I think that's considerably more rude, so please cut it out.
    I stand by my statements wholeheartedly. Being the strongest, if not among the strongest, was a part of her original design, and this is exactly how she is portrayed in various mediums in the current day. If creators didn't endeavour to portray her in a particular power level, then I would not have any sources over the many decades to prove just how wrong you are.

Now who's dismissing evidence that they don't like? "Nothing was considered canon?" Are you kidding me? That's nonsense. They had a canon, particularly in the Bronze Age.
    Precrisis stories were corny and full of inconsistencies, which is why I don't take your criticisms of Marston very seriously.

It's hard to determine how strong Diana is in relation to Superman in BvS. They could be equal, or he could edge her out. He did after all nearly get killed by Batman and a friggin nuke. She meanwhile was fresh as a daisy.
    Correction: he nearly got killed by Batman because Batman carved a weapon entirely out of Kryptonite; and a nuke taking him out doesn't seem outlandish or implausible to me. What did you expect him to do? Eat it? Making him too powerful will score points with noone (i.e Justice League), and the nuke, might I add, was able to slow Doomsday, but given what fueled his strength (in this movie), it did not slow him down very much.

In BvS, all characters were handled fairly. And before Superman had to yet again save Miss Damsel In Distress, he was kicking serious ass. Unnecessary characters like Lois Lane, can be partially blamed for Superman not having his "shining" moment in that film.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 03-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Here's an interesting perspective on Cheetah:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#4b48d47f6842
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

<ahem>

Let me make one thing clear.

Nobody, and I mean not one person, is to act as or claim to be the arbiter of who is a fan of Wonder Woman.

Fandom differs from one person to another, and any and all are welcome here to express their opinions so long as they follow CBR and Wonder Woman forum rules.

Let's put a stop to that aspect of the conversation here and elsewhere on the forum.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post

There are a number of people doubting the actress' abilities because she is a comedian, but I like it - I have a feeling she is going to sweep us off our feet because she will be proving the naysayers wrong. What intrigues me about this announcement is that in Jenkins' incarnation (similar to the comics), the Cheetah will be a goddess as well. I am just crossing my fingers that Jenkins and company will do the villainous justice.

WW2 and Shazam are two DCEU movies I am eagerly looking forward to.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

For anybody that thought that Cheetah wasn't a 'street level' villain, they just have to read the article and see that is exactly how she is defined.

Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis should not be considered a 'street level' villain. And who knows if the author is a comic book fan or even somebody well versed in Wonder Woman lore, he is giving credence to the street levelness to the character.

Hm. Someone who has this much talent at comedy could probably do anything. And, she's got some sex appeal, which I think is important for Cheetah. Didn't realize that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXN-EM4_jg

Ultimate Member

Most of the general audience doesn't know enough about Cheetah to have such inflexible opinions. The article is one person's POV, nothing more nothing less.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    For anybody that thought that Cheetah wasn't a 'street level' villain, they just have to read the article and see that is exactly how she is defined.

Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis should not be considered a 'street level' villain. And who knows if the author is a comic book fan or even somebody well versed in Wonder Woman lore, he is giving credence to the street levelness to the character.
    One article by Forbes isn't going to define her, especially once the movie comes out and people see it.

He also defines her as a more personal threat, the Joker to Diana's Batman, which is the real take away.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    One article by Forbes isn't going to define her, especially once the movie comes out and people see it.

He also defines her as a more personal threat, the Joker to Diana's Batman, which is the real take away.
    Yup. I thought it was pretty clear what he is saying...'street level' as opposed to an actual 'GOD.'

"Going with Cheetah for the second flick is the logical choice, as the cat/human combo baddie is the closest thing that Wonder Woman has to a Joker-level nemesis. Moreover, it follows the pattern of at least a few recent comic book franchises, with the first film featuring a grandiose baddie for the first installment and then going for a street-level archnemesis (who is often a kind of mirror image antagonist) for the sequel.

Think Green Goblin in Spider-Man, Ra’s Al Ghul in Batman Begins, Ares in Wonder Woman and then Dr. Octopus in Spider-Man 2, The Joker in The Dark Knight and now Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2"

Maybe it's because I have never found her to be funny. But I don't like this casting. I don't even doubt her physical ability. She seems like the kind of actress that would overdo it; like Doctor Poison. As for comedians being great dramatic actors, that didn't stop Jamie Foxx's Electro from stinking to high heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    David Thewlis as Ares was outside the box casting as well.

Kristen Wiig has done dramatic acting work before. I'm sure she can pull the role off.
    ...you liked him as Ares?

Ultimate Member

^Yes actually, I did.

Overall, I've mixed emotions on all this.

On one hand, I think a lower-stakes, more personal villain might be welcome. Not every superhero movie needs a "world-ending" threat with a bombastic final battle, and especially since we've seen Diana take on the God of War, maybe a lower-key threat might be a nice change of pace.

But I will admit to kind of wanting Diana to tackle that exact sort of thing to help wash out the bad taste of Justice League.

It is silly (and frankly unfair to Patty Jenkins) to expect WW2 to "answer" for Justice League. It shouldn't be her job to babysit and clean up after Snyder and Whedon's failure (to paraphrase Wilson Fisk: they both took the laurels, they both get the blame) but Justice League--coming so soon after Wonder Woman--really was a slap in the face

If Diana's movie was a celebration of everything she is and is capable of, Justice League comes across as a depressing dirge of everything she can't do.
    No, she can't lead the League. No, she's not the inspiration Superman is--she can't even compete with Superman. No, she can't fly after all. Instead, enjoy watching the Amazons get slaughtered en masse, gratuitous up-skirt shots, Flash falling into her cleavage (yuk-yuk), and Aquaman reducing her to a piece of meat he wants to bang (yuk-yuk again).

Hopefully they'll do something good and compelling with Cheetah, although personally I would rather see other rogues. Yes, I know Cheetah's the iconic villain but--despite Greg Rucka's efforts--I just don't find her compelling as Diana's arch-nemesis.
    Personally, I think Circe suits that label better, even if she isn't as iconic. I'd also take Queen Clea and/or Nubia/Nu'bia as antagonists over Cheetah to be honest.

I also can't say I'm enthused about Kristen Wiig. I've heard she's done good work in certain dramas--someone told me she's effectively creepy in mother!--but she's never really done anything for me as an actress. Maybe we'll get lucky and this'll turn out to be one of those unexpected surprises like Heath Ledger as the Joker, or Michael Keaton as Batman back in '89...assuming she's even cast; there's nothing official yet, am I right?

So yeah, Cheetah's not my preference, but let's hope.
    And the heck with Justice League. I can neither say nor emphasize that enough. The heck with Justice League.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    ^Yes actually, I did.
    Ares in human form was fine, but looked very hoky in his armored form. I think they needed a more imposing actor than Thewlis especially in his armored form.