Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Cheetah is one character that'd make sense to be CGI/mo-cap. In fact, that makes the most sense for her. Also all of those other CGI villains were bland because of the writing, not the CGI.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    I was referring to CBMs. Abomination, Doomsday, Lizard, Electro,Incubus all subpar. When it comes to modern CBMs the villains most highly regarded are

Joker
    Loki
    Killmonger
    Bane
    Vulture
    Magneto

None of them wear absurd make up or are CGI creations. Odds just aren't good for Cheetah..
    Again, that depends on how much screen time the CGI aspect of the role is going to get. There is more to Barbara Minerva's character than being the Cheetah. Even when transformed, she's not supposed to be a dumb rampaging monster like Doomsday, Abomination or the Lizard.

And those movies with the characters you mentioned weren't very well regarded in general, whereas the creative team behind WW2 is the same one that gave us the most successful DCEU film to date. Odds are fine for Cheetah.

Incredible Member

IF Cheetah is the villain, then I hope that she's not another CGI-created video game character racing around the screen.

They can amazing things with practical make-up and effects these days. IF Jenkins has the budget and time to do it right, then I don't think there's any reason for Cheetah to be CGI. Sure, they can "enhance" the scenes and background with CGI (e.g. "speed" effects / lines), but I don't see why Cheetah herself needs to be CGI.

For me, it's so rare to see CGI humans / humanoids done right. A lot of battles just end up looking like video game cut scenes to me. Sure, they might look like well made cut scenes, but they still seem ... fake and the bodies, hair, clothing, etc moves in an unnatural way.

they could take a mixed approach. You can have an actress in a costume, then use CGI to enhance it in post production. Kinda like in Deadpool where they used CGI to animate his mask in ways that can't be done as practical effects.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I was referring to CBMs. Abomination, Doomsday, Lizard, Electro,Incubus all subpar. When it comes to modern CBMs the villains most highly regarded are

Joker
    Loki
    Killmonger
    Bane
    Vulture
    Magneto

None of them wear absurd make up or are CGI creations. Odds just aren't good for Cheetah.

The Reeves Apes films are on a different level entirely and frankly they make most CBMs even the good ones look like mediocrity. I wouldn't compare CBMs to them.
    Cheetah is more human-like than Doomsday or Abomination, she's a normal size for starters so Kristen Wiig can do the scenes and then the fur and tail are added in post-production by the VFX team, same way they do Iron Man. Doomsday and Steppenwolf were 100% digital

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    they could take a mixed approach. You can have an actress in a costume, then use CGI to enhance it in post production. Kinda like in Deadpool where they used CGI to animate his mask in ways that can't be done as practical effects.
    That's what I'd love to see. And I definitely hope that, since Cheetah is a more "physical" threat, they have Gadot and Wiig (if she indeed ends up playing the villainess) actually fighting on the set. Sure, I know that they will use CGI for more complicated shots, but I am sooo missing practical fights in superhero films. Everything from Wonder Woman to Black Panther to Thor: Ragnarok relied too much on two weightless video game figures battling it out. I would love to see actual physical contact...fight choreography that makes every punch, slap, and kick count. Atomic Blonde felt like that, and I want to see that in a CBM.

Another thing is...could the producers be doing a Wonder Woman on us with the sequel? Meaning...could they be hiding the true manipulator [Circe] from the marketing? I'd love that, since Circe makes sense as a witch who turned men into beasts. Maybe the Cheetah will be the supposed villain, but we will end up getting a puppet master behind the scenes...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    That's what I'd love to see. And I definitely hope that, since Cheetah is a more "physical" threat, they have Gadot and Wiig (if she indeed ends up playing the villainess) actually fighting on the set. Sure, I know that they will use CGI for more complicated shots, but I am sooo missing practical fights in superhero films. Everything from Wonder Woman to Black Panther to Thor: Ragnarok relied too much on two weightless video game figures battling it out. I would love to see actual physical contact...fight choreography that makes every punch, slap, and kick count. Atomic Blonde felt like that, and I want to see that in a CBM.

Another thing is...could the producers be doing a Wonder Woman on us with the sequel? Meaning...could they be hiding the true manipulator [Circe] from the marketing? I'd love that, since Circe makes sense as a witch who turned men into beasts. Maybe the Cheetah will be the supposed villain, but we will end up getting a puppet master behind the scenes...
    That's always a possibility. Right now, we only know Cheetah is in it, but it's practically standard practice these days to use more than one villain. That means either an unconnected villain Diana takes on in the first act, a partner for Cheetah, and/or a secret behind-the-scenes manipulator.

Cheetah's not really the "partners" type so a manipulator is a strong possibility.

Another possibility? What if Cheetah gets her New 52 infectious bite power and eventually comes at Diana with a small army of were-cheetahs? Diana will be limited in what she can do because she can't risk killing Cheetah's innocent victims.

Bonus points if Cheetah manages to infect someone Diana personally cares about.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Oohh.. WW decides to get help fighting Cheetah, Circe helps defeat Cheetah, then WW finds out that she just allowed Circe to enslave Cheetah... cue cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Comedy actors can also surprise people by going in the complete opposite direction in dramatic roles. Robin Williams did this more than once.

In her breakdown of the casting, Grace Randolph said that the Cheetah has a sex appeal aspect that she doesn't think Wiig can deliver. I don't really agree with that at all, at least post transformation, especially if they go with the Rebirth version. There is too much uncanny valley/body horror in Rebirth!Cheetah to make her sexy, which isn't the point to begin with. In fact, avoiding sex appeal with a leading villainess in a comic book movie would be pretty refreshing. I'd like to be more unnerved that I ever was by Cate Blanchett's Hela.
    I don't get why is it that they always have to emphasize female villains' so-called "sex appeal." I frankly did not see any difference between Suicide Squad's hip-swiveling Enchantress and Thor: Ragnarok's stand-pout-and-pose Hela. I guess the only difference was the shade of green they wore and the Oscars on Blanchett's resume.
    To me, they were both equally annoying and ridiculous with their emphasis on "sexy" movements...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Cheetah is more human-like than Doomsday or Abomination, she's a normal size for starters so Kristen Wiig can do the scenes and then the fur and tail are added in post-production by the VFX team, same way they do Iron Man. Doomsday and Steppenwolf were 100% digital
    And what if Heath Ledger's Joker had additional CGI--would it have made a better performance?

Ledger is one of those many actors who we fans doubted--so Wiig could be the same case. However, she's not really known for the physicality in her acting--I guess there's a little of it in her comedy work--but I'd have more confidence if it was an actress who had already done a lot of physical stuff.

But I think I've talked myself around to suspending any judgement until the movie comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    And what if Heath Ledger's Joker had additional CGI--would it have made a better performance?

Ledger is one of those many actors who we fans doubted--so Wiig could be the same case. However, she's not really known for the physicality in her acting--I guess there's a little of it in her comedy work--but I'd have more confidence if it was an actress who had already done a lot of physical stuff.

But I think I've talked myself around to suspending any judgement until the movie comes out.
    There’s SOOOOO much time for training in the meantime. She’ll be sent to Amazon Camp, no doubt.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Again, that depends on how much screen time the CGI aspect of the role is going to get. There is more to Barbara Minerva's character than being the Cheetah. Even when transformed, she's not supposed to be a dumb rampaging monster like Doomsday, Abomination or the Lizard.

And those movies with the characters you mentioned weren't very well regarded in general, whereas the creative team behind WW2 is the same one that gave us the most successful DCEU film to date. Odds are fine for Cheetah.
    Ok now how about Malekith the accursed.

He was not a dumb monster, he was not gigantic size and he was the villain of a film that was a sequel to something that actually got a good reception and Wonder Woman's CGI was wonky as hell to begin with. Ares and the final battle are battle are regarded as the weakest parts of that film. Now imagine that for the length of the entire film. Yeah I think I'll stick to my odds.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ok now how about Malekith the accursed.

He was not a dumb monster, he was not gigantic size and he was the villain of a film that was a sequel to something that actually got a good reception and Wonder Woman's CGI was wonky as hell to begin with. Ares and the final battle are battle are regarded as the weakest parts of that film. Now imagine that for the length of the entire film. Yeah I think I'll stick to my odds.
    I doubt she will be Cheetah for the entire length of the film. That's not how the character has been set up recently, and odds are they will follow the formula that has worked. She's also a different character than Ares, and lends herself to a more personal conflict, so the set up for the confrontation wouldn't be the same.

Is it just because this is Cheetah that you think this will suck?
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 03-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.

BANNED

I doubt she will be Cheetah for the entire length of the film. That's not how the character has been set up recently, and odds are they will follow the formula that has worked. She's also a different character than Ares, and lends herself to a more personal conflict, so the set up for the confrontation wouldn't be the same.

Is it just because this is Cheetah that you think this will suck?
    I have no faith in CGI monster villains when it comes to CBMs. Lizard for instance is incredibly similar to Cheetah and I quite like him as a character but he and Cheetah have the same limitations.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Joker is a guy with clown makeup and scars, Cheetah is a totally different beast, one in which there might be an advantage in using motion capture, granted, I've no idea what they have in mind. I get that CGI doesn't always look real but neither do practical effects, further, it's hard to emote through a face appliance actually. The tiger in Life of Pi looked real, as did all the animals in Jungle Book, I think Hollywood's got CG-fur down to a science. And unless you want a staircase fight between her and Wonder Woman, some CG will be necessary. I sure want Cheetah to run in bursts of super-speed and to wield her tail like the Marsupilami
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 03-05-2018 at 12:20 PM.