Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She was published in the 80s. So there actually IS a wealth of actual source material to turn to. And being set in the 80s, at least once again it will be far removed from any association with JL.
    You mean Barbra was published in the 80s?

They debunked that whole thing that Wonder Woman retreated and did nothing after Steve's death quite some time ago, actually. It was a dumb factoid Snyder placed in BvS and they won't be acknowledging it. So there's free reign for her individual movies to have her show up whenever and wherever they want. I mean, is it still technically a plot hole? In the greater DCEU, yes, since regardless of the fact it won't be recognized, it was still said. But, its better for her solos to stay self-contained right now outside of the greater DCEU anyway as its just a trainwreck of toxicity right now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-24-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You mean Barbra was published in the 80s?
    Late 80s and post-Crisis yeah. But even if we're talking early 80s and pre-Crisis era books, there existed other incarnations of the Cheetah. And who knows if they don't plan on melding different ideas from different versions into the movie's Barbara.

But hey, I'm not saying they have to adapt any 80s story just because the movie's set there. I was just mentioning they have the opportunity to take inspiration for various tales set in that decade.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-24-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Well that's one way to look at it. The way I see it, a prequel doesn't exactly distance Wonder Woman from Justice League and the whole DC failed Universe, on the contrary, Jenkins is once again operating within the confines of the Snyderverse

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

80s Barbara is my Barbara. I wonder if they'll include Chuma too.
    02865923224666dd03e5bf0ff2c1c91f._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-24-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Is Cheetah going to be CGI or is Barbara Ann just going to make an appearance as her regular self? I hope this movie also includes more women as the first one just seemed like “Steve Trevor and his merry men” with WW in the sidelines.

Incredible Member

I’m not in love with the 1980s setting, but the Wonder Woman trilogy should make interesting viewing if the first film is set in 1914, the second in the 1980s and the third in the 2020s.

That’s assuming the third movie, which I’m also assuming will happen, will be set in the present day and showcase Diana as a fully super powered, publicly recognised hero.

I do wonder if Dr Psycho wouldn’t have been a better villain for a 1980s setting given the Russian research into psychic warfare and related practices.

Ultimate Member

Good, they have 100 years to play around with. It'd be a waste to just immediately throw her into present-day, especially since most of the other films will likely be set there anyway. This gives her her own unique flavor.

Ultimate Member

It was more like "Diana, and her male sidekicks/companions." The focus was still ultimately on her. That being said, I do hope that she has more female companions this time around.

As for the setting, good. They have 100 years to play around with. It'd be a waste to just immediately throw her into present-day, especially since most of the other films will likely be set there anyway. This gives her her own unique flavor.

Also I imagine that Patty likes not being chained to the main DCEU continuity as well. Here, she can mostly do her own thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    Well I have to admit that I have a huge problem with that. Wonder Woman is not a spy, she is a mythical figure, she should be in larger than life superheroic settings, close to Man of Steel.
    She should be out in the open for everyone to see and be inspired with. But for some reason, WB is hellbent on denying her that.
    Wonder Woman isn't a spy.
    Diana Prince at times has been a spy of the James Bond variety (less actual spycraft, more action/adventure).

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It was more like "Diana, and her male sidekicks/companions." The focus was still ultimately on her. That being said, I do hope that she has more female companions this time around.
    Agreed. Steve and the Oddfellows got a lot of screentime, but the majority of it was focused on their interaction with Diana. I also wrote a longish article a while back on their role for Diana's story: Steve, the Oddfellows, and Diana's coming of age story in the movie.

As for the setting, good. They have 100 years to play around with. It'd be a waste to just immediately throw her into present-day, especially since most of the other films will likely be set there anyway. This gives her her own unique flavor.

Also I imagine that Patty likes not being chained to the main DCEU continuity as well. Here, she can mostly do her own thing.
    Personally, I hoped that Jenkins would have been given a very free hand in shaping Wonder Woman and the future of the DC movies. I also think that an 80s movie would be less interesting in terms of story and message, compared to a present-day movie. This strikes me as a halfway compromise where no decision has been reached on whether to salvage the DCEU or toss all of it (except Wonder Woman) on the trash heap and start over.

I still trust Jenkins to do a good movie no matter what.

Not really. Considering this is WW movie there should have been more women on screen but we didn't get that. It was mostly a male-centric film, let's be real.

Ultimate Member

Every male character in the first film was ultimately there to service Diana's story/character arc first and foremost. I just rewatched the film the other day and yeah, it's true.

Now could/should their be more women this time around, absolutely. But that's a different matter.

Finally, there was a comic book reel based on Wonder Woman 2. Fans know more about the movie than the reel provided, like that Kristen Wiig is playing Cheetah, but there were still a few small moments. For example, the reel featured an interview with director Patty Jenkins that confirmed, yes, Wonder Woman 2 is set in the ‘80s. Plus, it’ll feature Diana facing the temptations of the world, while also facing incredible odds. When the footage mentioned “odds,” an image of Cheetah was shown. Finally, Jenkins said Diana is at the height of her powers in this film and that they are raising the bar.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-saw-epic-...ine-1825522487

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

So.....she is at the height of her powers in a film that is set before the BvS and JL film.

Great, we have seen everything she can do, so it doesn't look like we will be getting anything new.

Maybe an invisible jet.