View Poll Results: Most Hated Aspect of War Games?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Throwaway Death of Orpheus

8 12.12%
  • The Torture and Death of Stephanie Brown

10 15.15%
  • The Sexualization of the Torture of Stephanie Brown

11 16.67%
  • The Character Assasination of Leslie Thompkins

10 15.15%
  • The Bait-and-Switch (Steph being planned to die from the start)

6 9.09%
  • The Aftermath (The splitting of the Batfam, the victim blaming, etc.)

4 6.06%
  • Most Characters Acting OOC for the Sake of the Plot

4 6.06%
  • The General Sexism on Display (This includes Bruce's in-story)

1 1.52%
  • The Clear Malice this Story was Written with.

7 10.61%
  • Other

5 7.58%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Worst Part of 'War Games'?

While no story is hated by everyone, War Games(and everything that makes it up) is almost definitely the most hated of BatFamily crossovers. There are many reasons why this storyline is so reviled, and I'm curious what everyone here thinks the single worst aspect is.

If you vote "Other" on the poll, please say which part of the storyline you thought was the worst.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Uh, was there a poll?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Uh, was there a poll?
    Took some time to put it together. Just added it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For me personally, it was the way Bruce was written. The Batman I know and love would not treat Steph the way he did.

Secondly, I don't even really care about Steph, but her fridging pisses me off on general principle.
    Oh, man, those are some hard options. I don't know what I hate most most, but instinctively it's that Steph was planned to be killed from the start, but despite nearly all of the writers (Simone, Horrocks, Grayson, even Willingham) saying, "No, let's not kill her," they kept on with their moronic plan. Plus, the whole story was structured like it could be Steph's redemption, a turning point, but instead they just murdered her without any point except cheap sadness.

I think Bruce's OOC jerkness to Steph is indeed a huge problem - it's just so unnecessary, and so against the Batman I think is one of the greatest characters ever made.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For me personally, it was the way Bruce was written. The Batman I know and love would not treat Steph the way he did.

Secondly, I don't even really care about Steph, but her fridging pisses me off on general principle.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I agree. The whole middle section just made you hate Bruce and seemed too much like filler.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Spectacular Member

I didn't like all the stuff with Steph, but I hated what they did to Leslie. At the time, I enjoyed that Catwoman series, where Leslie was a big part of her supporting cast. War Games put an end to that.

BANNED

Didn't like any part of it.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The whole damned thing. There's not one thing that I can think of that has merit about this piece of garbage story.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyxx1481 View Post
    I didn't like all the stuff with Steph, but I hated what they did to Leslie. At the time, I enjoyed that Catwoman series, where Leslie was a big part of her supporting cast. War Games put an end to that.
    I haven't read "War Games", nor do I ever really plan to.

However, I did read the issues from Catwoman that were part of it in a Catwoman tpb collection, and those chapters weren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Out of curiosity, what about it struck you as being racist?
    The accusation that it's racist usually centers around the death of Orpheus, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I haven't read "War Games", nor do I ever really plan to.

However, I did read the issues from Catwoman that were part of it in a Catwoman tpb collection, and those chapters weren't bad.
    The Catwoman chapters did tend to be better. Unsurprising, since Brubaker was one of the stronger writers in the staff at the time.