Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I going to be checking it out, I want to see what Miller does with Superman in Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    When was that agreed upon?
    Like him or not, Frank IS one of the biggest legends the medium will ever see ... for that reason alone he has earned the right to tell his Superman story

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think about the narration bit.

Maybe Superman and Lois are the two narrators. Makes the most sense IMO. Or Superman and Luthor.
    Hmmm. Maybe. I'd prefer Superman and Luthor (if that's the way they go) ... there's much more of a cool Yin and Yang effect there. Then again, a lot of this will be set in Smallville. So Jonathan Kent may have a significant angle in the narrative.

If Lois has to have a narrative (and that's an IF) then I think it would be appropriate to see it occur/ unfold in the form of Daily Planet article(s) ... maybe one about Luthor and then later maybe one about Superman's first mysterious appearance?

Then again, maybe there should be no split narrative at all. This is Superman's story. Maybe he, and he alone, should be the one to tell it.
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 07-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Like him or not, Frank IS one of the biggest legends the medium will ever see ... for that reason alone he has earned the right to tell his Superman story
    Well, I don't think he has ever been all that bad to begin with. Dark Knight 3: The Master Race sounded like Miller through the story. I think the big difference, and Frank is not alone on this point, is that having someone look at the script and suggesting changes when something goes off the rails makes all the difference. Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade was a decent more recent work also by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. that tied in to Dark Knight Returns and also to an extent 3. I don't think he's hopeless, I think he needs an editor. I doubt that he will be totally unsupervised, especially with DC willing to advertise Dark Knight 3 in TV commercials and seeing that it worked.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Pretty much the only thing a writer has to do to earn or not earn a shot at writing a particular character is to pitch their idea. If its approved, you earned it. If its not you didn't. All other talk from fans about having a right or not having a right is just part of a fanboy rulebook that when all is said and done means nothing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't care for it.. All I want is Miller to be as far as possible away from Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Well, I don't think he has ever been all that bad to begin with. Dark Knight 3: The Master Race sounded like Miller through the story. I think the big difference, and Frank is not alone on this point, is that having someone look at the script and suggesting changes when something goes off the rails makes all the difference. Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade was a decent more recent work also by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. that tied in to Dark Knight Returns and also to an extent 3. I don't think he's hopeless, I think he needs an editor. I doubt that he will be totally unsupervised, especially with DC willing to advertise Dark Knight 3 in TV commercials and seeing that it worked.
    Same here. I've always been a Miller fan but I've noticed online there are some who aren't fans. But that's cool. It's not like anyone is forcing anyone else to read something they don't want to

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Pretty much the only thing a writer has to do to earn or not earn a shot at writing a particular character is to pitch their idea. If its approved, you earned it. If its not you didn't. All other talk from fans about having a right or not having a right is just part of a fanboy rulebook that when all is said and done means nothing.
    Yeah. That's a fair point. However, I don't think it's necessarily that simple either. Legendary status should count for something. There's more than one way to make a pitch, as it were. And most of the guys running the show, the ones that either accept or reject the pitch, are fanboys themselves ... so perhaps this "fanboy rulebook" does mean something, it just depends on how you look at it (and which fanboy(s) are in a position to make the call)

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    I don't care for it.. All I want is Miller to be as far as possible away from Superman.
    Well, he's here and it's happening (thank God!). But look on the bright side: you don't have to read it.
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 07-25-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    In recent years, just about everything Miller does ties in to The Dark Knight Returns, or is part of that same universe, Earth 31. He's not always cropping on Superman, such as showing in Dark Knight 3 that Batman has no chance against many, many Kryptonians with hostile intent. I am certain this is Miller's Superman when he was much younger, and will be set in the Golden Age, as a kind of tribute to how Superman was back then. I don't think they would use a 1940s backdrop in canon. Though I could be wrong.
    Judging by his huge spit-curl in the promo image, I think this will indeed be the origin of Superman from DKR:

SupermanY1_teaserSDCC17_Color1.jpg

dkr_punch.jpg

I don't know if this has been posted, but Miller definitely doesn't sound cynical about Superman here:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/frank...-year-one.html
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 07-26-2017 at 02:43 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The interview above makes me feel like it could go either way in terms of what continuity it's going to be in. He says that this is a Year One book like his Batman book was. That book was firmly in continuity (and possibly still is given what we saw not too long ago from King's Batman post Rebirth). Add to that the fact that DC's cool with calling it Year One. The title Year One is still used by DC to tell in continuity origin stories as we saw with the recent Wonder Woman Year One arc.

The actual only thing that's making me question if this is in continuity is the fact that it's a 100 page graphic novel. That's highly irregular for an in continuity story, right? Then again, this is more than likely coming out in 2018 during the anniversary and issue #1000 of Action, so the occasion for something irregular would be there. Plus, I can't help but feel like the origin we got was a bit of a preamble. It's open ended enough to where Miller still has a lot of freedom.

But would he, Frank Miller, be okay having such guidelines to follow? I lean towards no. But then again DC still has a Doctor Manhattan-size card to play if they really, really wanna give Superman this. In any case, I'm getting surprisingly hype for his book as time passes.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The interview above makes me feel like it could go either way in terms of what continuity it's going to be in. He says that this is a Year One book like his Batman book was. That book was firmly in continuity (and possibly still is given what we saw not too long ago from King's Batman post Rebirth). Add to that the fact that DC's cool with calling it Year One. The title Year One is still used by DC to tell in continuity origin stories as we saw with the recent Wonder Woman Year One arc.

The actual only thing that's making me question if this is in continuity is the fact that it's a 100 page graphic novel. That's highly irregular for an in continuity story, right? Then again, this is more than likely coming out in 2018 during the anniversary and issue #1000 of Action, so the occasion for something irregular would be there. Plus, I can't help but feel like the origin we got was a bit of a preamble. It's open ended enough to where Miller still has a lot of freedom.
    Remember that DC is announcing a new line of "evergreen", adult-oriented line of comic books/OGNs edited by Mark Doyle (if I remember it well, and OH PLEASE GOD let it be true and successful). I really can see this as part of this line (and I think the same about Millar' Supes miniseries if it will ever come to fruition). And yes, it may be in continuity (even if it probably won't).

But would he, Frank Miller, be okay having such guidelines to follow?
    It probably depends on the guidelines.
    Miller can quietly ignore everything too strongly tied to recognizable continuity moments (he can do it without Jor-El for example, à la For All Seasons) and focus on Supes' formative year(s). There is no reason to think that Miller absolutely wants to do something controversial with the character,
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Remember that DC is announcing a new line of "evergreen", adult-oriented line of comic books/OGNs edited by Mark Doyle (if I remember it well, and OH PLEASE GOD let it be true and successful). I really can see this as part of this line (and I think the same about Millar' Supes miniseries if it will ever come to fruition). And yes, it may be in continuity (even if it probably won't).
    Whoa! I most certainly do not remember that lol Sounds pretty sick though. Any links you could share? I'd be more thank cool with it going there honestly.

It probably depends on the guidelines.
    Miller can quietly ignore everything too strongly tied to recognizable continuity moments (he can do it without Jor-El for example, à la For All Seasons) and focus on Supes' formative year(s). There is no reason to think that Miller absolutely wants to do something controversial with the character,
    You're right about that. It would just depend on when he set everything and how much DC is willing to let him change and blame on "well Superman fix stuff with Manhattan so some things are changing." As it stands he just has to hit the mark on the aesthetics of post-Reborn and at first meeting with Lois. Batman Year One was able to side step quite a bit of the big moments (and create some) for Bruce and hit the mark on the iconic stuff (like the bat from the window). So Miller might fine with it. He can recontextualize all of the marks that he's not fond of.

You're kind of convincing me that this could totally work lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Whoa! I most certainly do not remember that lol Sounds pretty sick though. Any links you could share? I'd be more thank cool with it going there honestly.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...dc-big-talent/
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-has-an-epi...poc-1797174893
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...ro-imprint-dc/
    Literally the only remarkable piece of news from San Diego, at least for me.

You're right about that. It would just depend on when he set everything and how much DC is willing to let him change and blame on "well Superman fix stuff with Manhattan so some things are changing." As it stands he just has to hit the mark on the aesthetics of post-Reborn and at first meeting with Lois. Batman Year One was able to side step quite a bit of the big moments (and create some) for Bruce and hit the mark on the iconic stuff (like the bat from the window). So Miller might fine with it. He can recontextualize all of the marks that he's not fond of.

You're kind of convincing me that this could totally work lol
    Yes.
    Even if I wouldn't hold my breath for them keeping the postReborn look, especially for Jor-El. Reborn was basically a band-aid to justify the presence of the Superman family in the new DCU. If and when they will decide to streamline everything without double temporal lines and things like that, it is entirely possible that they will toss Reborn Jor-El away and create a new one. They are basically creating history as time goes by.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But would he, Frank Miller, be okay having such guidelines to follow? I lean towards no. But then again DC still has a Doctor Manhattan-size card to play if they really, really wanna give Superman this. In any case, I'm getting surprisingly hype for his book as time passes.
    Same. After about an hour of thinking about it, literally sleeping on it, I started to think about how almost anything, anyway to do the vague concept of "early Superman " was on the table.

Excited for this!

'bout time!

I'm not going to lie, I will be genuinely furious if Frank Millar's Superman Year One origin will actually be canon for the character. Millar does not deserve the right to write Superman's origin at all, let alone the canon origin. He contributed to the character's degradation and terrible reputation amongst the fans. I don't see why so many of you guys are actually excited about this. Millar's the least qualified writer to handle Superman's origin ever and the majority of Superman fans hate what Millar did to the character. It's not really hard to see why.