Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Just when you think DC truly understands the mistakes they made with the New 52, we get this. The fact that this vastly overrated and depressingly cynical man continues to get superhero work is beyond me. Miller doesn't hide his contempt for superheroes and has acknowledged that his best work is with non-powered beings (DD, kind of Batman) and the noir stuff.

If any of this seeps into the main titles and interferes with Doomsday Clock, I'm out again, and this time for good.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    *Looks at calendar * Yep,it's been several years...so we're about due for another origin story.
    Didn't American Alien only come out last year? :P

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

To clarify my disappointment, I just don't think that in any case, Miller and Romita are even the best guys for what's frankly a totally dead horse idea that should be somewhat interesting only because Miller pioneered the YO story in the first place.

If this is a continuity thing, I imagine it connects to the comments about how the fight against Manhattan will change things.

Not a fan of Miller or his Superman, but having read some of his interviews, sounded like he actually genuinely liked and was even mildly passionate about the character. So I was somewhat intrigued by what kind of story he would tell with him, when he's the main focus and not Batman. So I'm disapointed to hear it's just another origin story apparently. Talk about been there done that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh
    Nothing else needs to be said.

What is the rationale for getting Miller to work on Superman? He's never hidden his disdain for the character. Why not get someone who loves and understands the character to do this? Like Mark Waid, for example? Or other big-name writers who love the character. It's like WB having the choice to go with any director they wanted when it came to MoS, knowing that Brad Bird is a huge Superman fan and is also a hugely successful director, and then going with Zack Snyder, who also never hid his contempt for superheroes that don't have "Bat" in their names.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm pretty sure this is out of continuity, so I don't get people complaining that this we are getting a origin story.

On the other hand, I do agree we don't need any more Frank Miller writing Superman.

SAYING THAT though, I will be reading this because I love reading Superman origin stories being re tolled and I am a sucker for Clark and Lois first meeting stories.

Hahahahahahahaha I'm not sure what is worse... Frank Miller writing it or JRJR drawing it!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

superno.jpg

10 char

BANNED

I will stay positive (my thing now lol),and say 2 negatives will make a positive.

If farmer-middle class worker Superman kick the aristocrat @$$of Batman, I approve.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Fantastic Member

I wasn't going to pump more money into DC's comics line, in this case a graphic novel, and I agree the origin angle's played out, but I'm down for this.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

You guys do know nobody is forcing you to buy this, right?

You guys also know this will in no way affect the origin of the mainstream Superman, correct?

And I'm sure you guys also know that there's a strong possibility this story will never be finished because Miller doesn't have a co-writer to do most of the work.

So, I don't really see any problem here.

Astonishing Member

I really can't imagine any interest in Miller's take on Superman. Doesn't he really not like the character? Why would he even want to work on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You guys do know nobody is forcing you to buy this, right?

You guys also know this will in no way affect the origin of the mainstream Superman, correct?

And I'm sure you guys also know that there's a strong possibility this story will never be finished because Miller doesn't have a co-writer to do most of the work.

So, I don't really see any problem here.
    You do know this is a public forum, right? Where we can express our opinions on topics, especially comic books, since this is a comic book forum? You also do know this Frank Miller story will allegedly be a "comic book," right? I do agree that it may never actually get published or finished.