Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman #32 Spoilers/Discussion

spoilers:

-25 years a go a couple on Earth try to send their baby son to another dimension before the lab they work in self destructs
    -Superman takes down Titano
    -Jimmy needs his own money
    -Perry tries to offer Clark a job at the Planet, and says Clark needs people to talk to
    -Trouble in the city and a mysterious man helps Superman take down the threat
    -Mysterious man is revealed to be the baby in the beginning named Ulysses who thought Earth was destroyed 25 years ago
    end of spoilers

I thought this was a really good story. This was the first time I saw JRJR's art and I liked it a lot, it looked better in action than what I saw in his covers. Looking forward to where John's goes with Superman.

Astonishing Member

Nice story, but nothing special.
    VERY decompressed (I read it in five minutes).
    Basically, it is an (admirable) attempt at building a larger supporting cast for Supes, or so it seems to me.

Nothing groundbreaking, though. I think that, once finished (and I don't expect much more than a 10/12-part story before the 2015 "crisis"), it will belong to the group of "nice but ultimately neglectable limited series created by high-profile names", like Superman Unchained and For tomorrow.

P.S. One major risk, always present in stories which involve the introduction of a supporting character, is that they'll make him cooler or more interesting than the main character. With Ulysses, we are already on the right track...
    Last edited by Myskin; 06-25-2014 at 08:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    spoilers:

-25 years a go a couple on Earth try to send their baby son to another dimension before the lab they work in self destructs
    -Superman takes down Titano
    -Jimmy needs his own money
    -Perry tries to offer Clark a job at the Planet, and says Clark needs people to talk to
    -Trouble in the city and a mysterious man helps Superman take down the threat
    -Mysterious man is revealed to be the baby in the beginning named Ulysses who thought Earth was destroyed 25 years ago
    end of spoilers

I thought this was a really good story. This was the first time I saw JRJR's art and I liked it a lot, it looked better in action than what I saw in his covers. Looking forward to where John's goes with Superman.
    How does it read, Does it have a older Bronze age feel or more of the New 52 feel to it. I say this because Pak's Action feels more Bronze Age style then New 52 style and I like it a lot.

Just FYI, remember that picture in the preview that showed a picture of Superman wearing the red briefs? That was altered to make his costume look more New 52.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Just FYI, remember that picture in the preview that showed a picture of Superman wearing the red briefs? That was altered to make his costume look more New 52.
    I figured they would do that. They don't want to bring hope to people that it will return as the brainwashing that it never existed won't be complete for many, many years to come and one little slip up could set them back more decades then it will to complete the brainwashing to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    How does it read, Does it have a older Bronze age feel or more of the New 52 feel to it. I say this because Pak's Action feels more Bronze Age style then New 52 style and I like it a lot.
    I wouldn't be able to tell you. I started reading comics in the new 52, and for Superman I've only read Pak's run, and Soule's run. However I found it to be just as enjoyable as Action Comics.

Astonishing Member

Ulysses sounds like he has some potential. I'm glad he's more of a peer rather than predecessor to Superman, because between Comet and Wraith that gimmick is getting tiresome.

Definitely trade waiting this between the price and alleged decompression.

BANNED

can't say i'm excited about clark returning to the daily, everything else seems good

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. It's a solid first issue with plenty of character moments and visceral action, I don't think I would call it particularly decompressed but to each their own. Johns' Superman seems less pretentious than Soules' or Pak's who's overly concerned with whether or not he's punching down in a way that Pa Kent would disapprove. Superman is just doing his thing here without a lot of second guessing. The story allows itself to convey things visually which seems appropriate to me seeing as this is a visual medium and JRjr's action sequences are very entertaining.

After being disappointed with "Doomed", Superman #32 is a breath of fresh air. I'm looking forward to more from Johns and JRjr.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Yeah.....I don't know what to make of this comic.
    It's not bad, it's just that.....there's really not much happening in there, hasn't it?
    Not a fan of everything "Clark" related (still have no idea whatever Snyder meant by "Clark's fans are going to be happy" because there's really nothing of importance happening in that regard), the fights are a bit forgettable, and pretty hair (also known as Ulysses) doesn't strike as that interesting. Athough I guess his origin can be intriguing, but I find it to be a bit forced.
    Blacksun is going to love some more "Clark is so lonely and it's so sad". And of course, any one who expected some exciting reason for Perry to want Clark back are going to be disapointed.
    The art is okay, I suppose, not Romita at his finest, though (then again, it's been a while since Romita at his finest). Good flow, though.
    Kinda wondering what's up about Jimmy, though. pretty sure it contradicts a few things about his status quo with his parents, but ho well.
    Again, it's not "bad", there's nothing stupid or offensive about it. It's just....a very slow start, that is not all that interesting.
    I suppose I will give it a few more issues, because right now, it feels like judging a big preview.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

So here they're trying to get Clark back to the planet and drop his news blog meanwhile five years later Lois has the most read news blog? I smell a rat.

Astonishing Member

I'll agree with anyone who calls it decompressed, but I have to admit I really appreciated the laser-like focus on display. We touched base with our supporting cast, met our mysterious NEW friend/foe, witnessed a NEW behind-the-scenes player, saw a ton of our hero's civilian alter ego, had some Morrison-esque high-concept "strange matter from the 2D Dimension" stuff tossed in along with some "rocket to the 4D Dimension" stuff that felt like classic elements of Superman, viewed from a different angle. Plus lots of well-staged Action.

Romita shows a good story. Character designs felt fine. Just plain good Superman. Nothing mind-blowing, but with lots of potential for solid work. I'll keep reading.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Well, going by what I've seen here, I'll be skipping this book. At least for now. If, after a few issues, Auguste or Flash Gordon or Sacred Knight come on talking about how amazing the newest issue is, I *might* check it out. But so far it sounds a lot like what I expected from Johns, though I will say if Clark is not back at the Planet yet, that subplot is moving slower than I thought it would.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thanks for holding my humble opinions in a high regard, sir.

I thought it was decent. The idea of Ulysses interests me. I mean, its hardly anything new, the idea of a person existing whose circumstances mirror's Superman's own greatly, but the idea he's an earthling who left the planet through a dimensional portal and grew up thinking it was dead interests me. Only real criticism I have is that Johns kinda hams up the idea of Clark's lonliness in the middle of the book to set up an obvious friendship with Ulysses later. I could have done without seeing his relationships with Diana, Bruce, and Lois slightly belittled just to justify a new friend. That he has a girlfriend in Wonder Woman and a good friend in Bruce and Lois isn't counter to the idea that the man can still feel out of place and lonely at times and thus doesn't hurt the idea of Ulysses having a whole lot in common with him in his own right.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-25-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, going by what I've seen here, I'll be skipping this book. At least for now. If, after a few issues, Auguste or Flash Gordon or Sacred Knight come on talking about how amazing the newest issue is, I *might* check it out. But so far it sounds a lot like what I expected from Johns, though I will say if Clark is not back at the Planet yet, that subplot is moving slower than I thought it would.
    Now, that's quite a responsability you're putting on my shoulders.
    Not necessarily for too long, though, since I plan to give this run about 3 issues (counting this one) to excite me in any way.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.